OFFical : upper Willamette River conservation and recovery plan

E
eggs
Best part of this plan.. the REQUIREMENT of reintroducing native Salmon and Steelhead above dams on the N. & S. Santiam, Mac and M.F. Willy.

Not just a "study" or "research" but they must develop and execute a PLAN to do this..

They est. that 80% of spawning grounds are above the dams..

D
Drew9870
How do the natives get past Big Cliff Dam? I've heard the state nets them and trucks them up, but the past couple weeks I've fished there, it seems as though 1/2+ of the Chinooks are fin clips that I believe should have stopped at Minto Park (I banked 3 this month out of 4 trips, closes tomorrow/tonight for Salmon), it seems dissapointing since the state isn't going to net every single on of those fish if they even do net them, and I haven't noticed any fish ladder at Big Cliff Dam.

E
eggs
right now the ones you see above detroit are trucked up as part of a study to see if it was going to work...

they will have to figure out a plan.. from my reading they will trap below big cliff or minto, and truck adults up above the detroit.. same will follow for other rivers... now how they will handle downstream smolt migration.. i have no idea!

S
skunk
This is that age old argument though. The dams (and those who built them without planning for this problem) really ruined the runs, and because of 'everything' we just can't rip them all out. Great idea, but there's no way the costs will ever be realistic. When you look at the majority of people wanting to meat fish, then spending all this money on restoring runs artificially just won't work out. In the end, these runs are doomed because our economy will not support it! I know what will happen to this earth anyway, and its all becomes a mute point in the end. Just my little rant.

E
eggs
skunk said:
This is that age old argument though. The dams (and those who built them without planning for this problem) really ruined the runs, and because of 'everything' we just can't rip them all out. Great idea, but there's no way the costs will ever be realistic. When you look at the majority of people wanting to meat fish, then spending all this money on restoring runs artificially just won't work out. In the end, these runs are doomed because our economy will not support it! I know what will happen to this earth anyway, and its all becomes a mute point in the end. Just my little rant.
this is a federal mandate... no giving up on it as an idea... they have to figure out a cost effective plan or fork out 100's of millions or rip out the dams.. those are the options

A trap and truck is fairly cheap compared to a fish ladder..

NOAA will shut down all hatchery and the entire fishery if they don't do this to move forward on the delisting of ESA fish.

Between fed dollars, state funds, grants and organization support it will happen it has to...

Dams have to have permits renewed.. if something isn't done it is removed like Marmont dam..

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
this is a great idea,its been far too long that these fish have been confined to the basement of their house:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: