ODFW news

M
Mattdm22
Well I get updates from ODFW via Facebook as do most of you probably and came across this article.

Fishing regulations and plans

The Commission will be asked to approve two fish conservation plans:

The first is the Lower Columbia River and Oregon Coast White Sturgeon Conservation Plan. The plan was developed in response to concerns about the long-term health of white sturgeon in the lower Columbia River. It is the state’s first conservation plan for sturgeon in the Columbia River and provides a framework for ensuring sturgeon remain healthy and viable, while providing fishing and other societal benefits.

The plan is available on-line.

The Commission will be also asked to approve Oregon’s plan to restore and conserve salmon and steelhead populations of the upper Willamette River.

The Upper Willamette River Conservation and Recovery Plan for Chinook Salmon and Steelhead calls for restoring natural production of salmon and steelhead above several of the flood-control dams in the Willamette Valley. It also includes efforts to reintroduce Chinook and steelhead into habitat above dams in the North and South Santiam, McKenzie and Middle Fork Willamette rivers.

The plan serves a dual purpose as both a as a complete state conservation plan and a component of the federal recovery plan, which is required for all species listed under the federal Endangered Species Act.

The plan and an executive summary are available on-line at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/CRP/upper_willamette_river_plan.asp

The Commission will be asked to consider and approve the 2011 Sport Fishing Regulations, which include a few key changes from 2011:

•Clarification of smelt regulations to replace the blanket restrictions on all smelt harvest with specific restrictions closing only Eulachon smelt, recently listed as threatened under the federal Endangered Species Act.
•Permanently increase the daily bag limit on Diamond Lake from 5 to 8 trout.
•Introduce catch-and-release regulations for tiger trout. Tiger trout will be introduced into Fish Lake in southwest Oregon and Phillips Reservoir in the northeast to feed on illegal-introduced Tui chub and yellow perch. Staff is proposing the catch-and-release regulations so they can better evaluate the recreational fishery potential and ecological benefits. .
The Commission also will consider changes to the process by which the public can suggest changes to the state’s sport fishing regulations. Every four years the agency uses an extensive public process to give anglers an opportunity to propose new or modified fishing regulations. The goal of a New Five-Step Public Process is to simplify the year-long process while allowing for more meaningful public participation. If approved, implementation will begin later this year as part of the 2013 Sport Fishing Regulations development process.

Finally, the Commission will be asked to appoint three members to the Fish Restoration and Enhancement Board to represent sport fishing, troll fishing and fish processing interests.

The Commission is the policy-making body for fish and wildlife issues in the state. The seven-member panel meets monthly.

People seeking to testify on issues not on the formal agenda may do so by making arrangements with the ODFW Director’s Office, at least 24 hours in advance of the meeting, by calling 800-720-6339 or 503-947-6044.

Reasonable accommodations will be provided as needed for individuals requesting assistive hearing devices, sign language interpreters or large-print materials. Individuals needing these types of accommodations may call the ODFW Director’s Office at 800-720-6339 or 503-947-6044 at least 24 hours in advance of the meeting.

###

T
Throbbit _Shane
I'm really looking forward to the Tiger Trout stocking at Fish Lake.

Also the permanent 8 fish limit at Diamond will help with fish size there. Although they already grow big, they'll grow even more with less competition.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Sinkline said:
Not sure what the motive is for increasing Diamond lake to permanent 8-fish limit???

Diamond Lake is in trouble with over population. I think what they're doing with the upper Willamette is pretty interesting, and wonder if it will spill over to other dam's including Lost Creek and Applegate here in Southern Oregon.

B
beaverfan
I think they mean that they are going to put it in the permanent regs for 2011, they can change the reg as soon as it needs to be changed. They just don't want to have to issue a reg change unless it's absolutely necessary. What I'm getting at is likely the reasoning behind this is to basically get it in the printed edition of the regs rather than issuing a press release and having to change the regs.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Sinkline said:
ESF, thanks for the link to your blog article, I hadn't read that. I did read the article a few months back from a local paper telling the story from the biologist perspective of the problem. But my question is, why would the game commission be seeking a permanent 8-fish limit? Once they get the numbers down they can maintain a larger size and healthier (but lesser numbers) fish population in the lake which I assume is the goal. I'm not seeing what the goal is with a permanent 8-fish limit???

I guess what I mean is, are they shooting for max. numbers of 12"-14" fish for harvest, or are the looking for fewer numbers of 14"-18" fish with a 5-fish limit? I vote for the larger fish!

Randy

I just re-read the original post and it does say 2011 like Beaverfan says. Although I would think this is a typo and should say 2012 as 2011 is almost over.

They do seem to be managing it for max numbers. I've wondered why they don't cut back drastically on the stocking numbers and manage it for a trophy fishery. You've just got to remember that the average fisherman is looking to take home as many fish as possible, so that's probably why they are managing it for max numbers.