Off to the Mouth of the Lewis!

D
Dan Feller
I went out Steelhead fishing with my father-in-law Monday. We didn't catch any Steelhead, but I saw enough Chinook being reeled in that I caught Salmon Fever! I've only caught one Chinook in my life, and it was on somebody else's boat.

Wish me luck!

Q
qwapaw
Good luck, I hope you do well and can get us all some pictures of your fish. It isn't hard to get "Nook" Fever these days. Kodiak has me frothing at the mouth to get out and try some of his brine. I am going to order some of his spinner before I go too. Just what I need, more gear. Oh well, I can hide it from the little lady. Good luck my friend, Dan:D

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Goin' after da monster...

Goin' after da monster...

Dan;
Go get 'em Tiger! Don't forget to breathe when you start reeling that monster in. We will all be rooting for you to get that first one to the boat. I'm sure you will have a blast out there. I can't wait til I get my first one. Remember,even cell phone pics are better than leaving it to our imaginations. Good CATCHING!

K
koboabe
there are tons of nooks up there... we went out last weekend and caught a 30#er
good luck man

K
Kodiak
All too soon I will be putting down the river watching a rod buckle in the rod holder...Good Luck Man!

F
Fishtopher
Kodiak said:
All too soon I will be putting down the river watching a rod buckle in the rod holder...Good Luck Man!
;);)told ya man!:lol:

D
Dan Feller
I wish I had a photo to post but I got skunked. I took my neighbor with me (my wife doesn't like me going out on the Columbia alone) even though he isn't usually the most patient angler. We saw just enough fish landed to keep him in the boat for most of the tide.

We got to the mouth of the Lewis a little before ten o' clock. The current was slack so we found a spot (33' deep) in the third hog-line that was just starting to form. The current was completely slack, so we had to keep reversing to keep the anchor line tight. There were only four boats pretty spread out. I started talking with the next guy over a bit and mentioned that we'd gotten there a bit early. "No, you need to get here early to get a spot" was his reply. Of course he was right. by the time the tide got going there were probably close to 20 boats in our line and a fourth line was forming.

I had rigged up two poles with "Brad's Mini-Extreme Wobblers", one chartreuse with a green spot and the other chartreuse and chrome. The chartreuse/green one got a couple hits without hooking up (switching to trebles) but the chartreuse/chrome didn't get a hit. The boat next to us caught a really nice (25 pound) one on a similar wobbler, so I was sure we would hook one... By four o' clock we pulled anchor and headed home as I didn't want to get stuck in the height of rush-hour.

This was my first time in a "Hog-Line" and it wasn't too bad at all. Next time maybe I'll catch something! We were in the right spot with the right stuff, but it just didn't happen.

I have a friend that says he'll take me out in a couple weeks and says he can pretty much guarantee a couple Silvers. Of course I'll take him up on it. :) However, there's something about going out in your own boat with your own tackle and catching a fish on your own that is priceless!

F
Fishtopher
Good report Dan! Ive had some good times while tied up in hog lines. Its like combat fishing, but different too. Theres always a guy that gets razzed for falling asleep and missing his fish. And then theres the guy that doesn't drop out when he's got a hog on. Good times. Maybe next time huh!:)

D
Dan Feller
Fishtopher said:
Good report Dan! Ive had some good times while tied up in hog lines. Its like combat fishing, but different too. Theres always a guy that gets razzed for falling asleep and missing his fish. And then theres the guy that doesn't drop out when he's got a hog on. Good times. Maybe next time huh!:)

Yep, there's always next time - my father-in-law is itching to get out again!

How about this:

We were all watching a guy that had dropped out to fight a fish when we notice two people floating down river at a good speed. Nobody was sure what was going on but as soon as the guy landed his fish he motored over and picked up the swimmers (one looked like a kid, no lifejackets on...). He dropped them off at a boat near the opposite end of the line from us - apparently they had decided to go for a dip and hadn't counted on the strength of the current!