ODFW stocking cuttthroats now?

N
Noahk
I fished a recently stocked lake yesterday and was surprised when the first fish I caught was a cutthroat. As was the next couple after that. Of the 4 I caught 3 were cutthroats and one was a rainbow. A buddy pulled a ugly Brooder out of the lake and it too was a cutthroat. These were 100% not natural fish. Maybe this is old news but it's exciting that ODFW is stocking both cutties and rainbows in. Or are they cuttbows?

Stocked fish

100_0119.jpg 100_0132.jpg

R
rippin fish lips
I would say the top ones are cutbows! nich pics!

brandon4455
brandon4455
cuttbows for sure,i have caught them at several different stocked lakes when i was little such as detroit and e.ewilson

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. Cutbows. Nice lookin' fish.

However, ODFW has not yet started stocking for this year. So, I'd assume that they are hold overs.

N
Noahk
troutdude said:
Yep. Cutbows. Nice lookin' fish.

However, ODFW has not yet started stocking for this year. So, I'd assume that they are hold overs.

They were stocked this week, I called the stocking hotline to confirm. So how can you tell they are cuttbows?

troutdude
troutdude
Aha. One of those "unpublished" stockings then. As they have not yet published, their annual stocking schedule.

They have a mix of characteristics of both bows and cutts.

L
lilsalmon
troutdude said:

:doh::whistle::think:

C_Run
C_Run
Looks like you guys are off to a good start on 2012. Good job.

N
Noahk
troutdude said:
Right, but would be the specific traits that each have, other than the the marks on the jaw?

B
bassboy
I believe the top two fish are just rainbows. Just because a rainbow has a little orange under its jaw does not make it a cuttbow.

N
Noahk
bassboy said:
I believe the top two fish are just rainbows. Just because a rainbow has a little orange under its jaw does not make it a cuttbow.
No way they're just rainbows. The top two pictures is the same fish, as is this picture below.
100_0122.jpg
This is the fish that lacked the markings on the jaw and I'd judge to be more of a rainbow,
100_0128.jpg

M
Modest_Man
The maxilla doesn't seem to extend far enough back behind the eye for it to be considered a cutthroat. Hybrid is a possibility. See how in your fourth photo (in the water) that the maxilla (back end of the jaw area) extends back beyond the eye? That is a defining characteristic of a O. clarki. Rainbows (O. mykiss) don't have such a long maxilla and it usually terminates below the eye, not behind. You can also count the rays in the anal fin, as clarki usually doesn't have more than 12, and mykiss usually has 13-17. (I think, going off memory here, and the key word is usually, as it does vary).

Frankly, the color under the chin doesn't even factor into identification with the dichotomous key, though it is usually the easiest way when fishing to tell.

Reactions: waco
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bassboy said:

I agree, rainbows can have that little orange bit under the jaw, those other fish do look like costal cutts.

G
GDBrown
It is my understanding that ODFW was buying some fish from a private hatchery last year that were hybrid fish and larger than ODFW hatcheries normally produce before they stock them.

Were specially were you fishing when you caught these fish?

N
Noahk
GDBrown said:
It is my understanding that ODFW was buying some fish from a private hatchery last year that were hybrid fish and larger than ODFW hatcheries normally produce before they stock them.

Were specially were you fishing when you caught these fish?
Walter Wirth in Salem.