ODFW needs bottom fishing volunteers

troutdude
troutdude
Neat opportunity, from ODFW.

March 20, 2012

NEWPORT, Ore. – The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife needs volunteer anglers this spring and fall to help catch and release ocean bottom fish.

According to Katie Pierson, ODFW Marine Reserves research and monitoring project, the purpose of this hook and line sampling is to compare fish communities inside and outside of Oregon’s Marine Reserves. Hook and line sampling is the only method that gets each fish in hand so scientists can measure its length and weight.

Volunteers will participate in an 8-hour ocean outing leaving from Port Orford, Newport, Depoe Bay or Garibaldi. ODFW will provide the rods, reels and terminal tackle and, since volunteers are participating in scientific research, no fishing license is required.

To volunteer, e-mail your name, phone number, e-mail address and which port(s) you’d like to depart from to odfw.marinereserves@state.or.us or call 541-867-7701 ext. 241.

“As fishing dates near, we will contact all volunteers on the list. Fishing trips will be filled on a first come, first served basis,” Pierson said.

Since 2012, Oregon has designated five marine reserve sites off the Oregon Coast to advance scientific research, and to conserve habitats and biodiversity. Studies of fish communities are one of the many ways ODFW is studying the ecological and socio-economic effects of the reserves, Pierson said.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2014/march/032014c.asp

Casting Call
Casting Call
t..d Are you gonna make one of thease trips? I am! Depoe Bay for me. Maybe Katie will let me drop a crab net or two for the eight hour day. What do you think? Tony

B
Big3d
I emailed in for Garibaldi myself, cool opportunity to help out and fish with everything included.

T
troutmasta
I got in! Im going out of Newport Thursday!!

Thanks Troutdude!!!

troutdude
troutdude
Way to go Troutmasta! Have fun; and let us know how it goes.

1 nut in the water
I'm in for Newport Wednesday- Was hoping fellow OFFers would make it the same day.......

troutdude
troutdude
Right on, Mr. Nut. I'm really glad to see some OFFERS, getting in on this!

M
mikeee2362
Grrr...I'm still on the list, maybe next time!! Good Luck TM and 1Nut in the Water!!