Oars revisited...

L
luddite
Had the boat out on the lake for a first paddle and determined the oars it came with are good for spares only. I have read through the archives and still have a few questions...

1. Wood or composite...I know both have pros and cons. Which do you use and why?
2. Length...the ones I have are 8'8" and too short for my liking. I have to bring them up to my collar bones to get a decent amount of blade into the water. I am 6'1" and the boat has a 6' beam @ the oarlocks, I am thinking 9'6"-10' for new ones.

Good oars are a chunk of change so I don't want to screw this up...

Thanks for any input...

S
Santiam338
I am 6'1" also...16' x 54" boat and almost 6' between the oar locks...I run 9'6' oars and think they are just right.. Composite if you can afford it..Ash if you can't...Ash will work just fine...

E
eugene1
One important thing is to adjust your rower's seat in relation to the oarlocks. If your seat is too far back from the oarlocks, it'll be hard to row.

J
JeannaJigs
Ive been using 10' composites made by sawyer and haven't looked back. They were a good chunk of change, close to $400 but they are way better than the wooden 9 footers it came with, I definitely have more leverage and control, and if/wen I bust a tip, the tips are replaceable instead of having to purchase an entire oar.

E
eugene1
Forgot to say that I have some 10' Cataracts that you could try if you're near Eugene. Buying oars can be a difficult decision since you're not sure what will work for you and your boat. I was just there myself!

Best,

G
GDBrown
Best rule of thumb is that the oars need to be chest high with your hands 6-10 inches apart when you are in the power stroke. If they don't float tether them to the boat! Nothing worst than watching a $200 oar sink to the bottom of the river when you really need it!

I would take Eugene1 up on his OFFer to let you try his ten footers if possible.

L
luddite
eugene1: thanks for the offer, I am in Eugene. I'll PM you when I have time for a test paddle.

GDBrown: That's the basics I was working off of also. When I do that with mt 8-6 oars about 1/2" touches the water.

Stopped by Oregon Paddle sports @ lunchtime today and talked with them a bit, very nice folks and good prices since there is no extra shipping. Looked at both the Cataracts and the Sawyers.

V
veilside180sx
I prefer the Lamiglas Graphite Oars more than the Cataracts for composite. The Sawyer MXG's are great oars as well.

luddite said:
eugene1: thanks for the offer, I am in Eugene. I'll PM you when I have time for a test paddle.

GDBrown: That's the basics I was working off of also. When I do that with mt 8-6 oars about 1/2" touches the water.

Stopped by Oregon Paddle sports @ lunchtime today and talked with them a bit, very nice folks and good prices since there is no extra shipping. Looked at both the Cataracts and the Sawyers.

E
eugene1
luddite said:

Sounds good, Saturday works for me, or next week in the afternoon. Koffler boats also has oars for sale in Eugene if you want to do some comparison shopping.

C
CleaverID
I have run Cataracts on all my boats from the 15' self bailer to the 16' cat and the 19' pavati. Lamiglas had a bad spell of oar shafts shattering but may have gotten better. I pinned a 9.5' cataract on a ripping Middle Fork of the salmon float with a 1200 lb gear boat and it survived without shattering. Made a nice C shape and popped free. I doubt many other oars would have survived. Sawyer are nice shafts as well but tend to be more money. I only use rope wrap and don't believe in training wheels but that is a personal preference. I run counterbalanced 10.5' shafts on my 17' (tip to tail 19' on gunnel) x61" and they work great. Hadn't used counterbalanced but tried them and like them. I don't think I would use them on a whitewater boat though, They are heavy. Hope this helps.

C
CleaverID
Note to self, check how old the thread is prior to posting........