Novice looking for small trout streams

D
datsunwhacko
troutdude said:
Say what? I LOVE the Long Tom! I spent MANY days fishing various stretches, in my youth. I've tangled with Crappie, Cutthroat, Smallies, Bucketmouths, Cats, Carp, and Gills on that river! IMO, it should NOT be overlooked--especially when you are SO close!
never caught a smallmouth in the longtom.....after 35 years of fishing it. did spook a 3'+sturgeon once while wading for carp! no 'real' catfish.....bullhead catfish 13-14" max(taste like mud). Some of my fondest memories were made along the banks of the Long Tom.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
datsunwhacko said:
never caught a smallmouth in the longtom.....after 35 years of fishing it. did spook a 3'+sturgeon once while wading for carp! no 'real' catfish.....bullhead catfish 13-14" max(taste like mud). Some of my fondest memories were made along the banks of the Long Tom.
Yep I caught dozens of smallies on surface plugs (poppers and chuggers), back in the day, on hot late summer nights. The were easy pickin's in stretches with lots of rip rap. And yes, I know, that they weren't "real" cats.

D
DennisCFeeney
Quartzville Creek outside of Sweet Home is a great place for a beginner. Go up the river past the swarms of road side campers and there is good water all over.

troutdude
troutdude
DennisCFeeney said:
Quartzville Creek outside of Sweet Home is a great place for a beginner. Go up the river past the swarms of road side campers and there is good water all over.
I'll second that idea. I've fished that stream a lot over the years. It's a nice area.

Reactions: DennisCFeeney
troutdude
troutdude
BTW wasn't roadside camping banned a year or two ago, along Quartzville Creek? If so that would really open up the whole stream, to some nice fly fishing water.

D
DennisCFeeney
troutdude said:
BTW wasn't roadside camping banned a year or two ago, along Quartzville Creek? If so that would really open up the whole stream, to some nice fly fishing water.
Great point!!! I had a gold dredger set up write in hole I was fishing one time too. That was a new one to me and pretty rude! Hahaha

• Wow
troutdude
troutdude
DennisCFeeney said:
Great point!!! I had a gold dredger set up write in hole I was fishing one time too. That was a new one to me and pretty rude! Hahaha
Did you pocket any gold for your trouble? LOL

M
Murphythedog
how far up quartzville creek would you guys recommend heading up before getting your fly in the water? I’ve never been there but have been looking at it on the map all morning and was just curious.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Give the Siuslaw another try. I've caught some great trout in there. Before too long you'll be upgrading to steelhead sized leaders so now is a good time to become familiar with it. Give glo bugs a try this time of year now that the salmon are spawning.

Last edited:
M
Murphythedog
jamisonace said:
Give the Siuslaw another try. I've caught some great trout in there. Before too long you'll be upgrading to steelhead sized leaders so now is a good time to become familiar with it. Give glo bugs a try this time of year now that the salmon are spawning.
I live on the Siuslaw and still find myself traveling a fair distance to find good water. It’s not bad in the higher stretches of river, and we do get a decent blueback run. It did close on the 31st though for trout I believe. It did seem to hold a lot more and bigger sized trout a handful of years back but doesn’t seem to be the case these days.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Murphythedog said:
I live on the Siuslaw and still find myself traveling a fair distance to find good water. It’s not bad in the higher stretches of river, and we do get a decent blueback run. It did close on the 31st though for trout I believe. It did seem to hold a lot more and bigger sized trout a handful of years back but doesn’t seem to be the case these days.

Bummer. It's been at least 6 years since I fished it regularly. Good call on it being closed. I didn't think about that.

troutdude
troutdude
@Murphythedog if you are asking about the Quartzville Creek, which flows into Green Peter Reservoir...you are too late. Trout fishing is now closed until next Spring. There are only a few streams open year around, for trout. It's mostly a lake fishing show until Spring.

Grant22
Grant22
tylerdylan said:
Hello.

I started fly fishing last year, without anything but the Internet and some of Tom Rosenbauer's thorough and detail-rich books. It is my desire to fish in some small streams as close as possible to the Eugene/Springfield area. I've tried both hills creek and fall creek above their reservoirs with no luck, as well as the siuslaw. Any ideas?
The row river by cottage grove has some nice wild and stocked trout in it.

troutdude
troutdude
Grant22 said:
Good suggestion.

Row River and Tributaries
• Open all year for trout, hatchery Chinook salmon, hatchery steelhead, and wild steelhead greater than 24 inches in length.
• 2 wild trout per day, 8 inch minimum length.
• 5 hatchery trout per day, no minimum length.
• Use of bait allowed Apr 22 - Oct 31.
• Closed to salmon and steelhead angling in Mosby Cr and Mosby Cr tributaries.

Last edited:
DOKF
DOKF
troutdude said:
@Murphythedog if you are asking about the Quartzville Creek, which flows into Green Peter Reservoir...you are too late. Trout fishing is now closed until next Spring. There are only a few streams open year around, for trout. It's mostly a lake fishing show until Spring.
I thought Quartzville Creek was open year round for trout?

troutdude
troutdude
DOKF said:
I thought Quartzville Creek was open year round for trout?
Whoops. My bad. I stand corrected. Must have changed from when I was younger.

Quartzville Creek
• Open all year.
• 5 trout per day, 8 inch minimum length.
• Use of bait allowed.

DOKF
DOKF
troutdude said:
Whoops. My bad. I stand corrected. Must have changed from when I was younger.

Quartzville Creek
• Open all year.
• 5 trout per day, 8 inch minimum length.
• Use of bait allowed.
Whew! Good thing! My son and I were looking to head out for some stream fishing (after a couple months of lake fishing), and it was looking like either Deschutes or Quartzville.

We've never been to Quartzville, but i was thinking it would be similar to the Breitenbush or Upper N Santiam. We were on the Breitenbush Labour Day weekend (before the fires) and fell in love with that stream.

We are hoping to try some variation on tightline euro style nymph fishing (given our probably inappropriate equipment).

troutdude
troutdude
DOKF said:
We've never been to Quartzville, but i was thinking it would be similar to the Breitenbush or Upper N Santiam. We were on the Breitenbush Labour Day weekend (before the fires) and fell in love with that stream.
Yes it will be very similar to those 2 streams. I haven't fished Qville in a while, but it's a fave.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Grant22 said:
Also near Cottage Grove, try Sharps Creek. I've done well. Very small stream but has some nice pools that hold fish. Definitely a good place to cast a dry fly in the summer.

Reactions: Grant22
M
Murphythedog
I went to quartzville yesterday due to a very unexpected day off from work. Fishing was excellent mid afternoon to evening. I didn’t get there til around ten so I can’t comment on the morning hatch. Pretty slow in the early afternoon (10:30-1ish) Lots of bugs around. Caught five fish all on drys. It’s beautiful up there. It was my first time and I highly recommend it for anyone who havent been there especially a beginner as the fish were aggressive and not afraid to make a second or third rise to a presented fly. Lots of risers the last three hours of fishing light. I will be going back for sure.

On a total side note , not trying to hijack the thread, They had the regs posted for there and it mentioned brook trout? Has anyone pulled any out of there before? I have been on a die hard brook trout mission for the last two years and haven’t been able to land any so if anyone has pointers on where to go for that it would be much appreciated.