Novice looking for small trout streams

T
tylerdylan
Hello.

I started fly fishing last year, without anything but the Internet and some of Tom Rosenbauer's thorough and detail-rich books. It is my desire to fish in some small streams as close as possible to the Eugene/Springfield area. I've tried both hills creek and fall creek above their reservoirs with no luck, as well as the siuslaw. Any ideas?

T
tylerdylan
By the way, I mean to find streams definitely smaller than the Siuslaw; as a novice, it's kind of hard to choose a stream or creek not knowing whether or not there are even trout around.

hobster
hobster
The McKenzie isn't quite a small stream, but the trout fishing has been excellent lately. Close to home and lotsa fun! Lots of great holes along Deerhorn and also closer like Armitage - but get there early to avoid the swimmers (especially w/ this weekends hot weather).

T
tylerdylan
It definitely isn't a small stream, but I do plan on getting down to armitage park sometime soon.

What I'm looking for is more like a stream (less than or equal to the width of a dirt road) filled with native 8" brook trout. I like the adventure of clambering along a small creek and throwing a dry fly here and there in little pools, unencumbered by lots of gear and other anglers.

T
tylerdylan
Maybe something toward the coast, where a stream might pool up more?

Y
Yogidabear
go back and try fall creek again I use to fish that all the time and catch tons of trout.

T
the_intimidator03
tylerdylan said:
It definitely isn't a small stream, but I do plan on getting down to armitage park sometime soon.

What I'm looking for is more like a stream (less than or equal to the width of a dirt road) filled with native 8" brook trout. I like the adventure of clambering along a small creek and throwing a dry fly here and there in little pools, unencumbered by lots of gear and other anglers.

Just a little note... We have no "native" brook trout.. however a couple of small streams would be the coast fork and row river which can provide for some fun small stream and mostly close quarters fishing.

hobster
hobster
Yogidabear said:
go back and try fall creek again I use to fish that all the time and catch tons of trout.

Used to slay them up there as well. I've seen steelhead up there a few times when camping. I recently heard of someone else getting skunked up there and word is they stopped stocking FC. Not sure if its true or not. Anyway, wish I knew of a few small streams near the coast but I usually just fish the Slaw for winters.

troutdude
troutdude
If you want to learn a lot, and do so quickly, get a copy of Maddy's new edition "Fishing in Oregon". I just got mine today, and others will be on store shelves very soon. You will be able to find places to go, in her book.

N
nativefish
look into the Colowash River. Its a trib of the Clackamas.

M
mezzfin
Middle Fork of the Willamette and the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette. Both good trout fisheries.

T
tylerdylan
the_intimidator03 said:
Just a little note... We have no "native" brook trout.. however a couple of small streams would be the coast fork and row river which can provide for some fun small stream and mostly close quarters fishing.

Thank you for the correction.

T
tylerdylan
troutdude said:
If you want to learn a lot, and do so quickly, get a copy of Maddy's new edition "Fishing in Oregon". I just got mine today, and others will be on store shelves very soon. You will be able to find places to go, in her book.

Where did you buy it? I checked at the caddis fly, to no avail.

T
TTFishon
You could try Gate Creek, Salt Creek, Salmon Creek(Oakridge), Shotgun Creek, the Mohawk River, the Long Tom River, just to name a few.

T
tylerdylan
TTFishon said:
You could try Gate Creek, Salt Creek, Salmon Creek(Oakridge), Shotgun Creek, the Mohawk River, the Long Tom River, just to name a few.

Great! Thanks. I live about half a mile from where the Long Tom exits Fern Ridge, so I was thinking about hitting it up despite everyone's negative impression of that piece of water.

Troutski
Troutski
Oakridge area...

Oakridge area...

tylerdylan said:
Hello.

I started fly fishing last year, without anything but the Internet and some of Tom Rosenbauer's thorough and detail-rich books. It is my desire to fish in some small streams as close as possible to the Eugene/Springfield area. I've tried both hills creek and fall creek above their reservoirs with no luck, as well as the siuslaw. Any ideas?

Salmon and Salt Creek streams just outside of Oakridge, both are part of the Middle Fork of the Willy... great outdoor area and have a nice population of resident fish along with very ample stocking program. Great place to hone ones skills and be productive at the same time.

Tight lines ...

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
tylerdylan said:
Great! Thanks. I live about half a mile from where the Long Tom exits Fern Ridge, so I was thinking about hitting it up despite everyone's negative impression of that piece of water.

Say what? I LOVE the Long Tom! I spent MANY days fishing various stretches, in my youth. I've tangled with Crappie, Cutthroat, Smallies, Bucketmouths, Cats, Carp, and Gills on that river! IMO, it should NOT be overlooked--especially when you are SO close!

T
tylerdylan
troutdude said:
Say what? I LOVE the Long Tom! I spent MANY days fishing various stretches, in my youth. I've tangled with Crappie, Cutthroat, Smallies, Bucketmouths, Cats, Carp, and Gills on that river! IMO, it should NOT be overlooked--especially when you are SO close!

Yes! That's great to hear. My coworkers clearly don't really know they're talking about. I'm really glad to hear that.

I'm going to be fishing dries, anything in particular you would suggest?

troutdude
troutdude
Whoops. I forgot that you're looking for trout streams. In that case, you should hit the Long Tom UPSTREAM from Fern Ridge. Below the dam there are cutts, but it's really a warmwater fishery (but you might try some poppers, for the panfish and bass).

D
datsunwhacko
tylerdylan said:
after high water subsides in the spring rip thomas lures/salmon egg colored roostertails downstream in any riffle/rapid fermn ridge to monroe. Once caught a 17" cutthroat on Stroda's Farm using a sm chrome "boyant" Thomas lure. Don't bother with eggs, whole nightcrawlers work. Be prepared for frequent big carp that destroy proper ultralight trout gear on worms,pesky bluegill too. Big Largemouth also.....ive caught 15+ 3-5 lbs 1980-present. Sink corn at thr dam in monroe. Me and a buddy once caught 30 GOOD carp in 2.5 hours,good fertilizer for your garden! Most of the cuttroat youll catch will be 6-10 inches but will do tarpon like taildances,wild jumps and wiggle so fast you almost can't get ahold of them to get the hook out. Get down on the docks at night at orchard point. crappie on jigs!(occasional dinner plate size).