North vs South Santiam

L
LuckyFisher
Which river has the most spring Chinook and summer steelhead returning, the North Santiam or the South? I can't seem to find much online.

C
capblack
south santiam generally has more fish, and more fisherman, therefore, i fish the north.

L
LuckyFisher
Thanks capblack. I tried all over the South Santiam today with no luck. The only thing I caught were 3 smolt steelhead. I tried up at Foster, at Waterloo, and below the Lebanon dam with no success. Just to prove I'm not a totally crummy fisherman, I also ran into several drift boats that had no luck and maybe 6-7 other bank fisherman with nothing (except for the small trout which did seem prevalent through the system). I knew I was early but I was still hoping to strike a lucky one. I guess I need to wait another few weeks.

C
capblack
this early in the run i would try lower. jefferson and i5 both on the mainstem would be good spots to try

A
autofisher
there might be a few early fish up that high, but cap's right about sticking closer to the main stem of the river right now.

troutdude
troutdude
Fresh steel has been reported, all of the way up to the deadline at Foster Dam on the South fork. But, like everyone has said...lower is better for now.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I heard the barber shop in Jefferson has some decent bank fishing.