North Umpqua novice

G
Grifter
Hi all,

I have been striking out this year on chrome, so I thought I'd jump down to the Middle section of the N. Umpqua and give it a shot--try to seize the brass ring of the steelhead-by-fly world. I've never fished this river, and I'm wondering if anyone had some practical advice for how to approach the river as a first-timer. I'm fully aware of all the unique regs and the methods, but curious about what might be a good stretch to try first where there might be less pressure? Would I be wise to head above Steamboat? I recognize that the fish will drop off the further back I go, but so will the anglers..?

Any thoughts? Since some of this borders on that sacred "proprietary info" we all hoard, I'll understand if this doesn't generate response.

thanks.

joe

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Well, if I had any info I would share it with you. My problem is that the one and only time I attempted to fish the Umpqua is the time I fell backwards into the water and filled my waders...:wall:I believe it was early Novembrrrrrr! :shock: Not a good time...Good luck to you!

H
Hawk
Raincatcher said:
Well, if I had any info I would share it with you. My problem is that the one and only time I attempted to fish the Umpqua is the time I fell backwards into the water and filled my waders...:wall:I believe it was early Novembrrrrrr! :shock: Not a good time...Good luck to you!

I seem to recollect that time when you were on a roadtrip, you said your waders leaked in the Umpqua, in Roseburg......:lol::lol::lol:

F
fredaevans
First, the NU is the toughest river you'll ever fish. Not the fish, just trying to stand upright on that slick lava rock! Even studded boots won't hold you upright; you NEED a wading staff. The other odd off is the water (how deep in front of you) is a total optical illusion. The 'staff' will help you probe your next step.

Places to fish ... easy. Skip the 'Campwater' at Steamboat, place gets pounded and once the sun gets on the water it goes deader than a doornail. (Other than dumb luck.) For context, the river is running straight east-west through an open valley until you get to 'Steamboat/Mott Bridge.' There the river takes a 90 turn to the south through 'canyon water.' Save for 10 to 2 (give or take) it's in 'shade.' That's where you want to be.

Easy wade is the Susan Creek boat take out water (below the BLM campground ... where you want to stay if at all possible). Gravel bottom from almost top to bottom (hell of a long run of good water). This is real 'spey rod water' as the fish move up the far side so one long cast save for the very top/bottom of the run. As to where to fish, most 'spots' are really small but several 'parks' where you can pull into and fish bits of water. Some are so small (place to stand) you'll see a cleat scruffed rock, and that's it.

Amazing river; a life experience.

fae

Reactions: Grifter
G
Grifter
Raincatcher said:

well, if you had to have a fishing baptism, you probably chose the best river for it.

G
Grifter
fredaevans said:
Easy wade is the Susan Creek boat take out water (below the BLM campground ... where you want to stay if at all possible). Gravel bottom from almost top to bottom (hell of a long run of good water). This is real 'spey rod water' as the fish move up the far side so one long cast save for the very top/bottom of the run. As to where to fish, most 'spots' are really small but several 'parks' where you can pull into and fish bits of water. Some are so small (place to stand) you'll see a cleat scruffed rock, and that's it.

Amazing river; a life experience.

fae

I appreciate this input, Fred. I am glad to hear you recommend staying at Susan Creek (that's where I'm hoping to set up)--in order of priority, I'm hoping we can either stay at Susan, Bogus, or Island and be on the river well before first light, ready to swing. We'll probably employ some pool hopping from there on out. But I appreciate your input. I don't want to be competing for a spot at Camp Water, so I'm grateful for your thoughts.

F
fredaevans
Susan Creek BLM- CG is 'Magic,' place is kept spotless-hot showers, et.al. Not 'rustic,' that's a few miles up the river if you want 'camping in the woods.'

Last edited:
G
Grifter
Slept on the ground near Wright Creek, then before the sun hit the water we were swinging the tail outs and runs up and downstream from the bridge. Fished for 4 straight hours without spotting a fish. Probably should have pool hopped a bit more, but that's how it went. Absolutely gorgeous river. Next time I get skunked on the steelhead, I think I'll go far upstream and chase browns in the evening. Anyhow--just thought I should complete this saga with a sad-faced report. The chrome is elusive this year...