North Fork Reservoir Fishing Reports

pdxflyguy

Yesterday in our power boat we made it up past the upper reservoir almost to the log jam in the early evening. The water & air is a little cooler there & it gets nice and shady in the evening. The fish were surfacing all over the place. Every 10 - 20 seconds. Appeared to be trout. We anchored up , got three lines in the water for an hour, and tried everything ....and couldn’t get more than maybe 2-3 bites. Salmon eggs. Power bait. Trout magnets. Spinner lures. With and without bobbers. With and without weights. The fish were taunting us , jumping 1-2 feet from our hooks. Kudos to them. What the heck were we doing wrong ? I’ve done more fly fishing than spin fishing so I was out of ideas after the bait , indicator and weight changes. Trying to teach my boys how to fish and I want to get them some success without giving up and going to a trout farm. Looking forward to going back with a new strategy. Thanks!!!

Echskech

Honestly my guy, it sounds like you'd see some real success blending your fishing styles. I'd recommend throwing a water bobber (clear and floats but has some weight for casting) with 2 or 3 of your best nymph emerger strung of a few feet of tipet. Switch to caddis pupae about mid day.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Top Bottom