North Branch Crk. trout from beginning to end

S
spindoctor
Singh192010.jpg

Monday I was able to get out for a few hours and choose to visit one of my favorite streams for Fall fishing. North Branch Creek (listed on map as Forestville Creek) is a special stream with a few special regulations. This is a small stream located about a dozen miles Southeast of Spring Valley Minnesota.

Cave192010.jpg

North Branch Creek is relatively short in length; its source is a massive spring flowing from a large cave in the side of a cliff, and than winding through a valley of pasture, woods and meadows, until the stream ends at Forestville State Park, where it empties into the South Branch of the Root River.

StrmCows192010.jpg

StrmVu192010.jpg

North Branch Creek is easily accessed via Maple Springs Campground, which is located right on the bank of the stream. Maple Springs Campground has a well stocked store and tackle shop, and it is run by some very friendly folks, making it a great place to stay as well as fish. (MSCG Ph-507-352-2056 or maplespringscampground.com)

TrtFgt192010.jpg

One of the aspects that make North Branch Creek special is that all of its trout are wild, that is to say, there is no stocking in this stream, all the fish have spawned and grown up naturally. During the fall of the year when the trees are turning and the trout are in full spawning colors, an outing of fishing for these wild beauties can be a real treat.
It was 4:30 when I stepped into the water, with only about three hours before dark, if I wanted to make it up to the source/cave I would need to move fast. I selected a barbless Black Pearl Silver Super Bow spinner.

TrtInStrm192010.jpg

Though the stream is narrow in width, because of past improvement projects, the entire length of South Branch is a series of deep pools banked by bunkers and rock overhangs. These deep pockets make a large spinner like the Super Bow the ideal tool to get down to where the feeding trout were holding.

TrtLnd192010.jpg

TrtLnd292010.jpg

With little time, I was only able to make a few casts here and there, and even though I past up a lot of great looking pools, I found good action on most of the casts that I made.

SmlTrt192010.jpg

I caught trout of all sizes up to about 13 inches including a few little guys, giving evidence as to how successful past spawning has been.

CavFsh192010.jpg

The light was fading when I arrived at the cave with a C/R count of 9 fish brought to hand, and though I seldom find fish holding in virgin spring water (usually low in oxygen) I had to make a cast into the mouth of the cave. After only a couple of turns of the reel, my spinner was nailed by a small Brownie that seemed very intent on rounding my count off at an even 10.
After a snapshot or two, I returned the small trout back to the water, unfastened the spinner and placed it in the quiver, and with the serenade of a Great Horned Owl echoing through the still trees, I made my way back along the darkening woodland path, back to the van and home.
Until Next time;
Keep it low, slow, and with the flow, and don’t go without your Bow!
Spindoctor.

Todays hot spinner.
BlkPrlSlv152410.jpg

You can also see and purchase these fine spinners at eggersspinners.com

Troutski
Troutski
That is one very nice stream, and the idea of only Trout does get my pulse up. Thanks for sharing those pictures...and that is one cool looking spinner.

Chuck

S
spindoctor
Thanks TroutSki!
It was the only spinner I needed that day.

Troutski
Troutski
Creek angling....

Creek angling....

Something about catching fish on something you designed and built yourself....not to mention your favorite reel smoking and the fish headed up a creek that size. I have one of those creeks in my part of the world, next weekend it opens up for Trout angling...got goose bumps just thinking of it.
This particular creek has been closed to angling for over 10 years....you can only imagine what those resident Trout have been up to for all those years...:think:.
Tight lines to you..

Chuck

S
spindoctor
WOW! In our Runs at the hatchery a 3 year old grows to over 16", so imagine a stream untouched for ten years!
We are flooded out here in Minny (20 hrs of rain) so all I can do is stay inside, twist wire and catch up on reading and writing, so I may be a pest for a couple of days. Unless I need to sandbag.
It aint cool when the fish come to your front door! (LOL)

Troutski
Troutski
Extended season..

Extended season..

Feel free to post your heart away. Bummer about your weather, we are just entering a Pre-Indian Summer. Should extend our low water levels deep into Fall, as you know is by far the best time to chase the Wily Trout...
Tight lines

Chuck

S
spindoctor
I hear That!

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey another great report with great photos! way to go!

S
skunk
Thanks for sharing, always enjoy other state's fishing.