No ,or government

L
livin2fish
Agreed, too much control for the government "will not be a good thing", anybody ever read the book big brother, If you haven't, you should,if you have, think about it.

B
bigsteel
another great book ATLAS SHRUGGED

Y
Yentz
bigsteel said:

Atlas Shrugged was countered by Bioshock. Psuedo Anarchist societies always fail, or mutate into a different form.

Always.

C
chris61182
Yentz said:
Are you familiar with what happened in the great depression? When banks fail and collapse, the ones who get hurt the worst are us. Would it have gotten rid of those lousy banks? Sure, but in the meantime, this current depression would have looked like a Golden Era in comparison.

Of all that came out of the great depression the only thing that seems to make any difference for the common man is probably the FDIC.

Outside of that, it was mostly WW2 that saved the world from the great depression, not more government spending and regulation.

The only way the Government played into the collapse, is that they should have stopped the CDS lending beforehand. It was pure capitalistic greed that caused this.

Didn't the sub-prime mortgage bubble bursting lead to the CDS bubble burst? Though I'll admit that if the housing burst didn't do it, something eventually would have.

Heck health care may still do us all in since they're no longer trying to fix the system.

C
chris61182
Yentz said:
Atlas Shrugged was countered by Bioshock. Psuedo Anarchist societies always fail, or mutate into a different form.

Always.

Bioshock did anything but counter it, Andrew Ryan gave up on his principles and enacted onerous laws to keep Fontaine from succeeding.

Though I do think it supports the concept of absolute power, absolutely corrupts, always :)

Last edited:
L
livin2fish
bigsteel said:
hey big steel I read the book when I was a kid, any idea where I might get one, it has stuck with me ever since and I would like to read it again.

Y
Yentz
chris61182 said:
Bioshock did anything but counter it, Andrew Ryan gave up on his principles and enacted onerous laws to keep Fontaine from succeeding.

But at the same time, the culture of excess, greed, and entirely unethical scientific research was created by the Anarchist society, which inherently brought its downfall.

People idealize Anarchist or Psuedo anarchist societies, but they simply are not realistic. The whole principle is basically built on the concept that people are *good*. And if there is one thing that thousands of years of human history has taught us, it's that humans are most certainly, not good.

C
chris61182
Yentz said:
But at the same time, the culture of excess, greed, and entirely unethical scientific research was created by the Anarchist society, which inherently brought its downfall.

People idealize Anarchist or Psuedo anarchist societies, but they simply are not realistic. The whole principle is basically built on the concept that people are *good*. And if there is one thing that thousands of years of human history has taught us, it's that humans are most certainly, not good.

And there-in-lies the reason we do need government, but at the same time need to limit its power. The later part of which our country forgot shortly after ratifying the bill of rights.

Y
Yentz
chris61182 said:
And there-in-lies the reason we do need government, but at the same time need to limit its power. The later part of which our country forgot shortly after ratifying the bill of rights.

I agree with you there, but it's always a tough line to walk.

As societies grow, they soon require more and more infrastructure to function properly. And the more infrastructure you have, the more government you have to have to take care of it.

So we constantly have to balance having enough government to regulate, and take care of the issues, while at the same time, trying to ensure that they don't become bloated and corrupt.

C
chris61182
bigsteel said:
i love clean water but thats not their purpose,,,they are gonna control every aspect of our rivers,,,can anyone say everything will be private property,,or they will make bs claims to need to protect certain animals..i just dont see anything positive,anything they want they take...sorry to be negative i just have a big dislikeness for government regardless of party..no need for them

And to bring my contribution to the thread back on topic, I have to add that everything they are doing is because they're ignoring the 10th amendment and will use/abuse the interstate commerce clause to what ever ends they desire. I guess that's just another side effect of government run rampant during the great depression with telling wheat farmers how much they can grow regarding wheat grown on their property and used on their property.

B
bigsteel
livin2fish,,,try amazon they had the best deals..

M
Mike123
Funny thing about politics is that EVERYONE thinks they know exactly what started the horrible economy and exactly how everything can be fixed.
:rolleyes::lol:

R
rainman
Mike123 said:
Funny thing about politics is that EVERYONE thinks they know exactly what started the horrible economy and exactly how everything can be fixed.

Touche.

C
chris61182
Mike123 said:

That sounds like a bit of a catch-22 to me; unless you have some particular insight I don't see how you could be saying anyone else is wrong, but if you had some insight into it you'd be just another one of those people you'd be rolling your eyes at. :rolleyes::lol:

M
Mike123
chris61182 said:
That sounds like a bit of a catch-22 to me; unless you have some particular insight I don't see how you could be saying anyone else is wrong, but if you had some insight into it you'd be just another one of those people you'd be rolling your eyes at. :rolleyes::lol:

I have no clue what your trying to say.. :lol:

C
chris61182
Mike123 said:
I have no clue what your trying to say.. :lol:

In a nutshell, I'm saying "put up or shut up," but you're stuck because if you put up you're one of those people you're chastising for having an opinion.

M
Mike123
chris61182 said:
In a nutshell, I'm saying "put up or shut up," but you're stuck because if you put up you're one of those people you're chastising for having an opinion.

Your too sensitive... :wall: I don't chastise anyone for an opinion.. it's when EVERYONE thinks they KNOW exactly how to run the government. I wish someone would get elected that DID EXACTLY.

C
chris61182
Mike123 said:
Your too sensitive... :wall: I don't chastise anyone for an opinion..

That may be true, and I realize the written word is a poor medium for communication, but if you said that to most people's faces, rolled your eyes and laughed it wouldn't be taken very well.

it's when EVERYONE thinks they KNOW exactly how to run the government. I wish someone would get elected that DID EXACTLY.

But you know it's sad state of things that most people's opinions of how the government should be run would result in a better government than what we currently have. But they'll never get anywhere near congress or the white house because they're not already well connected and independently wealthy.

M
Mike123
chris61182 said:
That may be true, and I realize the written word is a poor medium for communication, but if you said that to most people's faces, rolled your eyes and laughed it wouldn't be taken very well.
Well many people get way to whacko of this stuff.. it's like they're willing to commit jihad for the sake of getting their point across.

"But you know it's sad state of things that most people's opinions of how the government should be run would result in a better government than what we currently have. But they'll never get anywhere near congress or the white house because they're not already well connected and independently wealthy."

Exactly. :clap:

Last edited:
R
rainman
As a die hard Conservative who usually votes Republican, I'm really biting my tongue on this issue.
I come here mainly to see stuff that would interest me, being a sportie and all.
Politics is normally something I debate elsewhere.