No luck trout fishing, again!

P
PTownAngler
I hit the North Fork Reservoir today, had no luck at all. I still haven't caught my 1st Trout and it's getting pretty disappointing, I've been Trout fishing like 12 times, everytime i've been alone though and its been my first 12 times fishing (thats probably why lol). I tried spinners, all types, colors and sizes. Floating worms/Orange Trout Eggs with a bobber and of course floated every color of powerbait off the bottom that I have (Rainbow, Flouro Pink, Red and Orange) with different leader lengths as well, from 6" to 3' and going up 6" at a time. I even bought a new 5' 6" Ultralight Trout Rod too lol. I was on the lake between 2pm and 5pm. I wanted to get out early but got delayed, I think that is part of my problem. I need to fish in the morning maybe? And I just bought myself a raft so I don't have to fish from shore anymore. I think that is going to up my chances as well. I was thinking too that maybe I need to spend more time on one technique? I floated the powerbait off the bottom for about 45min then went to spinners for 45min then to the bobber with worms/Trout eggs for 45min then back to the powerbait for an hour and finished with a little spinning. I usually fish for about 3 hours. Anyone have any pointers/tips or any advice on what I should change? Or maybe any good fishing spots to share? I really really really want to catch a TROUT!!

Last edited:
M
Moe
Try hagg. If you need help I could take time off salmon to teach you how to get some fish up at hagg

D
DrTheopolis
Might want to give Faraday Lake a try (it's just below North Fork). Doesn't quite get as many stockers, but there less room for them to spread out. Start down by the dam, and work your way back (if necessary). Worm under a bobber or spinners should do.

troutdude
troutdude
Take your raft up to Harriet Lake, and slow troll a spoon (or rig up a torpedo bobber and a woolly bugger), and troll even slower. If that doesn't do it, switch to a torpedo bobber and muddler minnows, on a slow troll.

1 nut in the water
When all else fails drift a worm...........................

P
PTownAngler
I tried that, live worms and pink powerbait worms. I had limited fishing space though, I only fished about a 25yrd patch of the shoreline.

P
PTownAngler
Moe said:
Try hagg. If you need help I could take time off salmon to teach you how to get some fish up at hagg

Moe, I would love to meet up at Hagg sometime, if you don't mind teaching a rookie how to catch some Trout. Its a little over an hour drive time for me but I dont mind one bit. PM me anytime with a day and time and if I can make it I'm game to go catch some Trout at Hagg Lake. I have a big 6 person Sevylor HF360 Fish Hunter Raft thats super comfy for 2 people and plenty of gear. Its rated for 6 people, but it's more like a 4 man raft. It has rod holders and all.

T
troutmasta
go to Trillium or Lost lake clatsop caounty. You will catch fish there! (note the name)

M
Moe
Ok, hagg is fishing really well right now we could go up Saturday, but if the Clackamas or estacada lake is closer we can meet there they should be fishing fairly well. Its mostly gonna be a learning experience ie rigs, baits, trout behavior, etc.

P
PTownAngler
Moe said:
Ok, hagg is fishing really well right now we could go up Saturday, but if the Clackamas or estacada lake is closer we can meet there they should be fishing fairly well. Its mostly gonna be a learning experience ie rigs, baits, trout behavior, etc.

I can definitely meet you at hagg on saturday, what time are you thinkin?

T
troutmasta
Very Cool of You Moe!

Good luck fellas! Go Win a truck by accident.

B
bernduffy
Yes, do try Hagg. There are 16 thousand new arrivals waiting to be caught. FWIW I find a fish finder helps keep me out of dead water, which sounds like part of your situation. The Humminbird portables are good for rafts. You can sometimes pick a used one up for around $100. I admire your determination. Good luck!

M
Moe
Me and him are going Saturday and he WILL get his first trout haha