No fishing from a floating device...

H
Herefishyfishy
Does anyone know what the intention of this regulation is? Does it have to do with the safe release of the fish, or fishing pressure or....? I was leaning more toward the pressure because there is a heck of a lot of killer looking water on the Deschutes that there is no way to fish except in the boat. And while I'm at it, any ideas on the no strike indicator reg on the North Umpqua?
Thanks!
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishrover
C
chrisohm
In most cases it is more for your safety but depending on the area it is to also keep people from harassing fish that need to be left alone before they make their journey upstream. There is also the fact that some bodies of water are just not big enough for a floatation device. For example, St. Louis Ponds has that same rule but with all the bank access and the ability to cast to the other side it makes it a mute point to have people floating around...that and there are hidden trees in the water.

H
Herefishyfishy
I'm sure it's not for safety on the D, there is some hardcore wading on that river! ankle deep, ankle deep, chest deep! I get what you're saying though, thanks!

E
eggs
the reason the big D is such a sick river with unreal fish is the fact you can only effectively fish 1/5 or less of the river.. can you imagine all the people that would be anchored up, pulling plugs for steelhead up and down the river?

H
Herefishyfishy
Thats pretty much what I figured, but wasn't totally sure. Like I said there is some awsome water I would love to fish if I could drop anchor and fish from the boat, no plugs for me though. I really, really love that river, so healthy and full of life of all kinds.

J
joem
stike indicator is a bobber, just like what little kids use. you are bobber fishing if using one and the north umpqua fly sone is suposedly a natural section, no weighted flys no weights on the line no indicators, its a fly fishing zone. other wise people would be up there throwing bobber and jigs at the steelhead. north umpqua no floating device deal is a safety and pressure thing. it would be ful of boats every day if you could use a boat.

M
Mad dog
joem said:
stike indicator is a bobber, just like what little kids use. you are bobber fishing if using one and the north umpqua fly sone is suposedly a natural section, no weighted flys no weights on the line no indicators, its a fly fishing zone. other wise people would be up there throwing bobber and jigs at the steelhead. north umpqua no floating device deal is a safety and pressure thing. it would be ful of boats every day if you could use a boat.

No!!!...what a stupid douce bag!:naughty:

Steamboater's.....:think:

Irishrover
Irishrover
They should change the rule to no fishing from a floating device.......unless you are old enough to collect social security and have bad knees.:lol:

F
fredaevans
Herefishyfishy said:
I'm sure it's not for safety on the D, there is some hardcore wading on that river! ankle deep, ankle deep, chest deep! I get what you're saying though, thanks!

That would be the 'Big D.' Ditto to the fly only water on the North Umpqua. Boats for transportation only.

H
Herefishyfishy
Irishrover said:
They should change the rule to no fishing from a floating device.......unless you are old enough to collect social security and have bad knees.:lol:

Right.....?;) like I said, there is some serious wading on the D! Going back this weekend and as always, can't wait! Nymphing the breaks on that river rules!

Last edited:
F
fredaevans
If memeory serves here.

If memeory serves here.

Irishrover said:

If the passenger, one and only, is 'disabled' they are allowed to fish out of a boat even in 'transportation only' waters.You (Guide) just has to show something out of the back of the boat to indicate. Crutch tops, top of wheelchair, etc.

H
Herefishyfishy
The 'BigD' sorry! I managed the Soda Springs Dam Fish Passage project on the N Umpqua, my crew did all the inspections. I think a person would have to be infreakinsane to even put a floating device on that river above Glide! I'm going with the pressure answer for this question I think! :)

H
Herefishyfishy
20130529_181017.jpg
My wife just got back with this, the beer sucks but HELLYEAH!