Nightcrawler life support

P
pinstriper
OK, I got lots of dirt. Big compost piles, etc. perfect night crawler habitat. Have to step over them on the way to the mailbox in the morning.

When do you collect your worms ahead of a trip ? How do you keep them alive and fresh for fishing ?

Say a hypothetical saturday morning. Get the worms Friday morning when they are all out ? Friday afternoon after work ? Friday night last thing before bed ? Or get up at 3am to chase worms before fishing ?

What kind of container ? I imagine they need moisture and air. Do you put them in momma's fridge and make sure you leave before she finds out ?

J
JeannaJigs
they sell worm boxes at bi-mart for about 5 bucks, they're plastic with a snap lid, and they have air vents so the worms won't kick the bucket, as quickly anyways. I have kept worms in the fridge for two weeks, haven't experimented beyond that. They sell worm bedding as well, it's basically recycled material, i keep it slightly moist and add the worms. You basically just want to keep them cool and moist, and you're good to go. I am forbidden from keeping bait in the fridge so I have a bait fridge/freezer in the garage and that's where they go to worm camp.

P
playhooky
With adequate space, ample air and decent dirt, crawlers will hold for a couple of weeks easy if you keep them in a cool place and out of the sun. I sometimes shred some newspaper and mix it into the soil. I've even put a tablespoon or so of spent coffee grounds in with em. Since it rained this afternoon I went out just awhile ago for bit and picked a couple dozen which I won't be using until at least this coming Monday. They'll be good as gold when I'm ready to thread one on. And here's a thing you'll want to remember when fishing still water.......get yourself a hypodermic needle and stick that crawler in about three places after he's on your LIGHT hook and he'll float up into the lunker zone (say 18 - 22" of leader on a Carolina slip weight set up). Works well. Sent a 4.25 lb. largemouth into a frenzy the other day with just that set up. Give it a try!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M
montym
Thanks for the tips. Light hook means how small?

Regards
Monoj

P
pinstriper
JeannaJigs said:
they sell worm boxes at bi-mart for about 5 bucks, they're plastic with a snap lid, and they have air vents so the worms won't kick the bucket, as quickly anyways. I have kept worms in the fridge for two weeks, haven't experimented beyond that. They sell worm bedding as well, it's basically recycled material, i keep it slightly moist and add the worms. You basically just want to keep them cool and moist, and you're good to go. I am forbidden from keeping bait in the fridge so I have a bait fridge/freezer in the garage and that's where they go to worm camp.

Thanks, I spend enough time there that you'd think I'da seen them by now.

My garage fridgelet is usually stuffed to the gills* with beer.

* I'm trying to use more fisherman lingo in my daily conversations.

P
pinstriper
playhooky said:
With adequate space, ample air and decent dirt, crawlers will hold for a couple of weeks easy if you keep them in a cool place and out of the sun. I sometimes shred some newspaper and mix it into the soil. I've even put a tablespoon or so of spent coffee grounds in with em. Since it rained this afternoon I went out just awhile ago for bit and picked a couple dozen which I won't be using until at least this coming Monday. They'll be good as gold when I'm ready to thread one on. And here's a thing you'll want to remember when fishing still water.......get yourself a hypodermic needle and stick that crawler in about three places after he's on your LIGHT hook and he'll float up into the lunker zone (say 18 - 22" of leader on a Carolina slip weight set up). Works well. Sent a 4.25 lb. largemouth into a frenzy the other day with just that set up. Give it a try!

We administer our own shots on the farm animals, so I do in fact have syringes and needles. I was actually musing on the idea, in fact.

I also bought one (two, actually) of those worm-hook-threader lance thingies. I don't know if it makes it any more pleasant for the worm, but it's easier on me.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
pinstriper said:
Thanks, I spend enough time there that you'd think I'da seen them by now.

My garage fridgelet is usually stuffed to the gills* with beer.

* I'm trying to use more fisherman lingo in my daily conversations.

B&B Fridge: 'bait and beer' fridge: best case a 'retired' normal sized fridge with freezer space for herring/cured eggs/crab bait/ice plus lots of fridge space for beer, worms, beer, thawed/brined herring, beer, fishing scents/oils, snacks.... I also use mine when brining fish for the smoker...

P
playhooky
montym said:
Thanks for the tips. Light hook means how small?

Regards
Monoj

Size 8 is a good start. You'll figure it out.....in other words I wouldn't thread a small worm on a size 4 hook. If you're using a threader (as I usually do) the bigger the crawler the better. Bigger bait = Bigger fish. You'll find it extremely difficult to thread a huge crawler on a small hook so size your offering accordingly. Thread the center third or so of the worm onto the shank and carefully over the hook eye and onto your leader. You then have two nice crawler ends to inflate with your hypodermic needle which will become buoyant when injected with air and it also seems to cause em to wiggle more. Test for buoyancy prior to your cast then aim for that fishy spot. Good luck! (You can normally pick up a small hypodermic needle at any farm supply or pet store). Cheers!

B
Billamicasr
The afternoon before you go fishing try this; tear some black & White newspaper (no colored toxic print) wet it very well and pack it rather tightly on top of the worm bedding. Your crawlers will absorb the water and they will "grow" much larger; perfect for the threader. I usually try to use just enough bedding to keep them covered, then the newsprint on top.
Not 100% sure, but I believe that tip was in Stan Fagerstom's Bass fishing book about 30-40 years ago.
Somehow I found out cantaloupe in addition to wet newsprint is a great way to get them to absorb moisture; the key is to pack thin slices of cantaloupe then add a smaller amount of wet newspaper on top being careful not to squish the worms of course.

When threading a worm I use a #2 (I believe) light wire Aberdeen hook (used by Crappie fishermen) and leave about 1 1/2" sticking out after the worm is threaded on the hook and up the line. Hard to explain, hope you get the idea. I've use this technique under a float cast right into the weeds or pads.

BTW; the newspaper folks will sell leftover blank newspaper on the roll for very little. It comes in handy for crab feeds, stuffing in wet sneakers and for the worm bedding technique above. If you walk into their front office and tell them you've heard there are roll ends available, they will tell you how much they cost and show you the supply to choose from. That's how it is done in Salem.