Newport jetties from a boat

S
slabjig
I fished along the jetties at Newport on Tuesday in my 14 foot Gregor. Fishing was challenging, took 3 hours to get 5 fish, but that's one of the things I like about fishing there, it IS challenging, unlike offshore which can be so easy at times that you're limited out in 10 minutes. Nothing huge and I couldn't find a ling cod, but there was a fish dinner. Lures that worked, 4 inch crazysandeel and 2 inch berkley gulp camo sand worm on a gravedigger jig. The gulp got both greenling and one of the blacks, the crazysandeel got the other two blacks.

fish fry.jpg
couple of dinners.jpg

Reactions: bass, wils and Admin
plumbertom
plumbertom
I've only fished Newport once. My normal bay fishing is done at Charleston, even though they are about equal drive time from Eugene.
And with fuel prices being what they are, it's not likely that I'll be dragging my 16' boat anywhere, or at least not as often.
But I'm still interested in what is working and what isn't.
So I read that your sand worm was camo, but you didn't include the color of the Crazysandeel..
Mostly I fish such things on a 3/8 oz jig head and try to bounce it close to the bottom just in front of the jetty rocks for black rock fish.
I may start using the 2'' sand worms for a better chance at the greenling. They don't seem interested in the larger 4'' jigs.

Last edited:
S
slabjig
crazysandeel was minnow silver (home poured), and the jig head was 3/8 oz. It's only about 20 feet deep along the foot of the north jetty, and 3/8 oz gets you into the mid water column. The mistake people make when fishing the jetties is taking the term "bottom fish" at face value. Black rockfish especially are structure oriented and semi-pelagic, in other words they hang around things like rocks, but aren't sitting on the bottom, they kind of hover over the structure, often in schools. So when fishing along the jetties, the structure is not underneath the boat, it's beside the boat, i.e. the jetty. My best results, especially for blacks is to try to work along the face of the jetty, casting right up to the edge and working the jigs down the face of it. And that's why I use relatively light jigs, a heavier jig just means more snags (and that's why I make my own tackle, too!) The grave digger jig I use with the gulp sandworm is a Do-It mold and that's 3/8 oz too. The greenling hit that about the time it reaches the foot of the jetty because they are demersal (bottom huggers), blacks like that gravedigger/gulp sand worm combo too, I've caught a lot of them on it. If you ever watch a video of spawning polychaete neiris sandworms, you can see why they would be attracted to this combo, the sandworms spawn in swarms, and it must be a feeding frenzy when they do. This video

is from New Zealand, but this is typical of spawning swarms of polychaetes, especially those which form epitokes (free swiming segments of their bodies which bud off and swarm in a mating frenzy). I'm betting that when blacks or other nearshore fish see a 2 inch gulp sandworm, they are just programmed to nail that epitoke straggler.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Yeah. I meant 3/8 oz. just was cruising along too fast to catch it.
I try and fish as close to the rocks as I can without getting right in them. Lose plenty of jigs doing so.
Most of the blacks I catch are on the drop near the face of it or on the retrieve closer to the boat.
I try and bounce the bottom because that's produced the most lings for me personally.