New to using hardware

U
Utahutes
Do you all use a split ring on lures and spoons. What is good size for salmon steel head and trout. I have been using loop knot and tie direct. I also use barrel swivels about 18 inches above lure.is it better to use swivels to connect split ring to leader.sorry just getting into spin fishing.spent my time fly fishing in Utah streams. Thanks

C_Run
C_Run
With spoons, they don't come with anything attached. I don't know why. Some people will just use a snap swivel on the end of their line. I will take a #4 or #5 split ring and attach it to the spoon and then add a #7 barrel swivel to that. With spinners, I just tie onto the line. Sometimes they twist the heck out of your mono and then I wish I would have added a swivel somewhere. I have added a barrel swivel up the line like you said but that has resulted in a couple of ruined tips for me. A bonehead move, yes, because I forgot they were there and reeled in too far. Last year I even tried using a bead chain in my line for spinner fishing for salmon. That seemed to take care of the twist.

Incidentally, if you are fishing for salmon and steelhead, you will eventually find yourself releasing a fair number of fish. A lot of times it can be easier with a single point hook like a Siwash. A lot of us swap out the trebles for a Siwash on spinners and spoons.

• P1010079 - Copy.JPG
Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude
P
Paul Smith
You could also stick with Fly Fishing for Salmon and especially for Steelhead; that's what I do!!!

Reactions: Troutski
troutdude
troutdude
Incidentally, if you are fishing for salmon and steelhead, you will eventually find yourself releasing a fair number of fish. A lot of times it can be easier with a single point hook like a Siwash. A lot of us swap out the trebles for a Siwash on spinners and spoons.

One of best pieces of advice, ever! Fish mortality is GREATLY reduced, by switching to single hooks.

If we still had a our REP Points on here...I'd have just given you some C_Run !!!

Admin
Admin
troutdude;n602825 said:
If we still had a our REP Points on here...I'd have just given you some C_Run !!!

We still have them. By Liking you add a REP point.

troutdude
troutdude
Anatoliy;n602828 said:
We still have them. By Liking you add a REP point.

Oh. OK. Ha ha ha.

B
BaldTexan
I leave the factory trebles on Blue fox spinners. I have NEVER had a salmon or steelhead take a spinner deep. Always corner of the mouth. DIY heavier bullet body spinners I use a single point siwash because I bounce them off the bottom a lot more and it reduces snagging.

hobster
hobster
BaldTexan;n602833 said:
I leave the factory trebles on Blue fox spinners. I have NEVER had a salmon or steelhead take a spinner deep. Always corner of the mouth. DIY heavier bullet body spinners I use a single point siwash because I bounce them off the bottom a lot more and it reduces snagging.

IMG_0097.JPG
Hatch steelie from last summer. Treble was buried, would have put a hurtin on a nate. I fish siwash hooks 90% of the time, especially if there are wild fish in the river i'm fishing.

C_Run
C_Run
BaldTexan;n602833 said:

One time I had the mouth of a coho I had to release pinned shut with all three tines and it was a lot of work to get him loose. On the other hand, it seems like a big Siwash is pretty hard on the trout you always catch when steelhead fishing. And then, certain waters require a single point. I guess it's one of those arguments that will rage on.

B
Berdink
Probably best just to cut the hook up with wire cutters and slip them out.