New Cabelas in Springfield

F
fishkiller
I just heard on the radio this morning that Cabelas will be opening a new store is Springfield next year. It will be located where the former Ashley home furnishing was. I'm so excited.:dance:

C
Combat Chuck
I thought this was just another one of those rumors that had been around for years... but ... but... this one is true!!!!! Its finally true!!!!!

C
capblack
am I the only one that thinks cabelas is just another overpriced hunting and fishing store. Im not gonna lie, ill have to check it out, its a cool store and all, but Ill still be shopping around for the best prices, and Ill bet cabelas will normally not be the lowest. Brian

C
Combat Chuck
Where do you go? I dont really see it as 'just another' ... cause I dont have the one to start with.

H
hick
I'm with Chuck on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yay::yay:

troutdude
troutdude
Try the old Sportmen's Warehouse in Salem. They have a HUMONGOUS fishing section. And prices seem to be pretty reasonable.

I also think that Cabela's is overpriced.

T
the_intimidator03
wow you beat me to it LOL guess ill see if i can get my other thread deleted :p

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
I think i know a troutski who will be:dance::dance::yay::yay::yay:

C
capblack
if i can't get it at bi mart, i go to wholesale sports in Salem. If i can't get it there, ill order it online to the low bidder. but as i said before, dont think I wont be checking out the new cabelas. Brian
Combat Chuck said:
Where do you go? I dont really see it as 'just another' ... cause I dont have the one to start with.

C
capblack
i think im more excited about gi joes popping back up on a small scale.

M
Mike123
Suhhweeet! Even though they are mainly a bass and warm water species store, I'm still excited! So if they haven't started building this yet, do you think it will be open next year or that will be when they begin construction?

D
dude young
Mike123 said:
Suhhweeet! Even though they are mainly a bass and warm water species store, I'm still excited! So if they haven't started building this yet, do you think it will be open next year or that will be when they begin construction?

They are sooo much more than a bass and warm water place. I have been fishing warm, cold, salt, and ice for years and have got more gear from Cabela's than anywhere else. Since they started building these smaller stores, they stock the shelves with gear targeted to the local fisheries and hunting. Don't expect to find much ice fishing stuff on the sales floor. But, in the Portland, Maine store, there was VERY little in the way of salmon/steelhead gear.

They tend to build the store rather quickly. I think the Portland store took only a few months. The mega-store they built in PA went pretty quickly, too.

troutdude said:
Try the old Sportmen's Warehouse in Salem. They have a HUMONGOUS fishing section. And prices seem to be pretty reasonable.

I also think that Cabela's is overpriced.

Sportsman's, now Wholesale, is owned and operated by a Canadian company (or consortium). Cabela's is American owned and has one of the strongest if not the best customer service in the game (perhaps second only to LL Bean). Plus, with the shear size of the company, if you can't find it in the shelf, it can be ordered and shipped to you and you are still dealing with the same company.

I have not really noticed the "over priced" aspect of Cabela's yet. I will bet that on the small, day to day items like lead weights and such, you might get a better deal at Bi-mart, but for the big ticket items, they are very competitive.

I ain't saying, "Turn your back on Bi-mart, Fishermans, GI Joe's (welcome back, by the way), but now that Cabela's is here, use them too. And, walking into one of there stores is like walking into a catalog.

F
fishkiller
Mike123 said:
What I read on-line is they will begin construction in August and will be opening in the spring. It's supposed to be a smaller store but it will still have a big arquaium.

C
Combat Chuck
capblack said:
if i can't get it at bi mart, i go to wholesale sports in Salem. If i can't get it there, ill order it online to the low bidder. but as i said before, dont think I wont be checking out the new cabelas. Brian

Yep thats what I do, I just hate ordering stuff without getting to feel it and see it. I could always check it out at Cabelas then make an ebay bid :)

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice i order stuff from them If I can't find it in town. Be nice to have one more place to look for gear since every store has different selections and now if they have it in town i don't have to pay shipping. still gonna have to try to go out and duppoert the small local shops though.

C
czoom
Right on I can't wait.

Troutski
Troutski
Be still my heart...

Be still my heart...

scottishsmokedsalmon said:
I think i know a troutski who will be:dance::dance::yay::yay::yay:

I put my notice in at work today, and filled out my Cabelas application on line, I added the line in my resume' "will work for tackle instead of wages".:D
I just can't believe my luck, I look to save over a thousand dollars each year in shipping cost alone - hum....just think of all the new stuff I can get for that money:think::think::clap::cool:;)

Chuck

C
Charlie_merrifi
That's great beats driving to lacey wa. which is a cool store worth a day trip even just to wonder

G
GDBrown
Charlie_merrifi said:
That's great beats driving to lacey wa. which is a cool store worth a day trip even just to wonder

The best in the West is the Cabelas in Utah, just south of Salt Lake City, Lehi I think. It is at least 50% larger than the Lacey or Boise story. They have tons more fishing and twice the gun section. The Trophy Animals on display have their own room and the fish tanks are three times the size as the Lacey store. It's a long drive but I'll be down that way in a week or two visiting my son and his family. We time our visit to the store with feeding time at the tanks, the grandkids go wild when they drop the food in with the fish.

As far as prices they are higher than Bi-mart for anything I really need. If I can't get it at Bi-Mart I find the closest place that has it and then stop when I'm in that area the next time. I stop at Cabelas in Lacey when I go to Tacoma to visit my mom and last time I was there I found a Winchester Model 70 rifle on the used rack that I bought. Going out this morning to fire it for the first time after rebedding the stock.
GD

Last edited:
L
Left Bank
GDBrown said:
The best in the West is the Cabelas in Utah, just south of Salt Lake City, Lehi I think. It is at least 50% larger than the Lacey or Boise story. They have tons more fishing and twice the gun section. The Trophy Animals on display have their own room and the fish tanks are three times the size as the Lacey store.GD

I've been to both the Lacy and Lehi, UT stores and I agree that the Utah store is bigger. I could have spent all day looking at the many state records and fish tanks. It was truely amazing.