Nestucca and Wilson River questions

S
sparky
Snappleninja said:
So I am new to the forum and to salmon and steelhead fishing in general so obviously I have a few questions. So I am thinking about making a trip out to the coast and fishing, and I am curious about how much public bank access there is on each river for somebody with only a car. There is a second part to my question is which river is more friendly to a bank fisherman without waders? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello,
Just joined, first post!!
Always good to pick up tips, so far I like this forum.

I have steel head / salmon tags in NE Oregon, Wallowa County and Columbia River Basin. Hwy 82 parallels the Wallowa River, plenty of spots to hop out and kill an hour.

Told my kids I want to take a trip to the coast in June, thinking Tillamook, "Join me if ya want to." My son says he'd love to go fishing. I can't find a charter to go for salmon in the deep sea, w/out going to the Umpqua River and Winchester Bay. Don't have the set up for casting into ocean from the beach. I doubt he wants to spend the money for salmon tags just for a day or 2 of fishing. (I'm not even sure my tag is valid down there)

1) If there are still charters for day trip ocean salmon, that I can't find on the internet, appreciate the tip.
2) My son is a part time sit in a boat on a lake for trout. I can't find a lake with boat rentals on the net either. River fishing would be a whole new life for him. Call me wimpy, I'm not fond of combat crawl on a steep bank either.

Again, good tips on steel head baits and rigs!

Any thoughts on my questions would be appreciated.

Thanks

D
DrTheopolis
First OFF, welcome to OFF.

Next, I'm far from particularly knowledgeable on ocean fishing, but I believe the reason you can't find any charters online is because the seasons haven't been set for the North Coast yet (whereas I believe the South Coast has a much earlier season). Once they are set, you should be able to find plenty.

Your license/tag is good anywhere in Oregon. And if you're going to spend the money on a charter, what's a few more bucks for your son's tag? (Obviously that decision is yours.)

I can't think of any lakes with boat rentals near Tillamook, but most of the lakes in the area are pretty bank-friendly, and there's plenty of them.

Jetty fishing can be fun, too.

Should be some steelhead and maybe even spring Chinook in some of the area rivers. June can a pretty good time in Tillamook.

S
SmallStreams
Your son might find the daily licenses meet his needs if he's not going to be fishing any other time. Daily license includes tag "for free".

S
sparky
Thanks to both of you.
We moved to Wilsonville in '93. Family camping trips were to something like Detroit Lake, hence his preference to lakes. Trips to the coast were non-fishing. '10 I moved up here and relearning the river fishing (grew up playing in the Rogue River).

Now that he's late 20 something and wants to go fishing, he's never been ocean fishing. Never played with a 20" salmon. Might be fun to pass on a rite of passage since he sometimes struggles with being someplace ready to go at sunrise.
;)
I'll be nice about it, no drinking the night before and a greasy breakfast in the morning.

Thanks again, I'll keep an eye on it for north coast.