Nehalem success

S
sapo
Hit Nehalem at about 12:45 yesterday, just as the tide was starting to come in. Started at Wheeler and we had 3 rods with FBRs w/anchovies and one rod with cut plug blue label herring. Trolled around wheeler for about an hour where I hooked a fish very briefly, but lost it. Trolled back and forth for another 30 minutes with nothing and when we were about to head off to the jetty, my grandpa got snagged and when trying to stop the line from spooling off his reel, his finger got caught in the reel somehow and he got a pretty nasty cut, it looked very painful. Once his finger was out of the reel we headed to the jetty.

Water was really calm at the jetty. Tide was coming in pretty fast so our motor was on (Boat pointing towards the ocean) but the boat was stationary. We dropped our lines down and the incoming tide spun our anchovies/baits quite well. So the boat was stationary but we had great action on our bait. About 2 minutes later, my dad hooked a fish! It spooled probably 50 yards of line off his reel at a tight drag setting (his reel had about 100 yards of line and he almost ran out of line) and ran upriver, then just sat in a hole. We chased it upriver with the boat, and after 10 more minutes of fighting the fish we got it into the boat. Really big chinook:

It was my dad's first chinook in 30 years..awesome experience. I couldn't even lift it into the boat with the net, my younger brother had to help me. Big fish for sure. A very interesting thing about this fish is that it looked like it had recently survived a seal or something, had a big gash near the tail on one side of it:

Quite an interesting mark, it looked fresh..not sure when it happened though.
After the excitement of my dad's chinook, we put our lines back in the water and almost right away I had a fish on. It splashed at the surface and appeared to be a coho, but it shook the hook and I lost it. At this point the tide was slowing down, it was kind of slack. The sun was almost setting and we needed to get back, so we headed back and trolled the Wheeler stretch one more time, then packed up. There was a guy who snagged a salmon and kept it, but other than that (Besides the fact there were few boats in the bay) the other boats didn't have much success from what I saw. The only boats that I saw with success besides ours were boats that went into the ocean just past the bay, but their chinook weren't nearly as big as my dad's. Heard of a couple coho caught, but the main catch seems to be chinook right now. Coho definitely aren't going up NF Nehalem in numbers yet, that thing is a trickle. Beautiful day and very few other boats out there. I like the look of my tackle box with salmon blood on it:

Beautiful day and sunset, and also our first salmon ever at Nehalem, after going there for many years.

• IMG_6006.jpg
  • IMG_6003.jpg
  • IMG_6017.jpg
  • IMG_6024.jpg
B
BaldTexan
Great report and pics. Glad your Dad was able to get a nice chinook. I've had pretty good success out there about 50% of the time. I'll be out there next weekend when my brother comes to town. Hope I can get him and his buddy into one or two.

B
BaldTexan
What size weight were you using at the jaws? I typically use 4 oz at wheeler. Only fished the jaws once and I think we needed 6 to 8 oz there. Don't recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
Big3d
Nice report. May the next one be whole!

C_Run
C_Run
Great report again. We saw a fish like that being cleaned down at the Coquille last week. Big,raw gashes on both sides of the tail but apparently that doesn't keep them from biting.

B
BaldTexan
There ARE sea lions and seals lurking in Nehalem. They're sneaky. One relieved me of a fish last month at Wheeler. I never saw him until he popped up with my fish in his mouth.

O
OnTheDrop
Depending on Tides Paul, we use anywhere from 10-20oz out there. 12-16 and your fishing most the time.

T
TimberTodd
Nice fish your dad landed sapo. Hope granddads finger is alright.

B
BaldTexan
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Depending on Tides Paul, we use anywhere from 10-20oz out there. 12-16 and your fishing most the time.

Ok. Thanks Cap'n.

S
sapo
Thanks!! Ya TT his finger's healing up well. Just filleted the fish, had to cut out that ripped part but it barely lost any meat, lots of meat on that fish!

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
That's an awesome fish! Looks like it was a great day, other than finger cut. Hopefully nothing to serious.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

T
troutmasta
Not sure why your hunting PDX coho Sapo.?!

Nice fish-

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Man Sapo! I see your report and Im very happy for you! Now my only issue is deciding if Im fishing Nehalem this weekend or Tillamook! As for the jaws, I also run between 10 and 20 oz. there. It all depends on the tide.

Cheers,

Chris

D
DrTheopolis
At the jaws, 10oz is about as low as you should ever go. But 4 usually works at Wheeler.

While that gash could certainly be a seal (about 5 million of them in Nehalem Bay), it looks like it had a brush with a prop. Could have even suffered the same fate as Gramps' finger.