Need some flyfishing gear info

B
Big3d
Hey,

I recently received an old fly rod with an old automatic reel and I just need to know what I need to buy as far as line and anything I might not think of, I have about 100 dry flies. what do I need to get rigged up.

any help is appreciated

F
flyguy202011
what weight rod is it/?

troutdude
troutdude
If you are new to fly fishing, I would suggest using a regular (not automatic) reel.

You'll need backing, line, and tippet.

If you have a fly shop in your area, they can fix you up with what you'll need.

T
Trout
Agreed - put the old auto-matic up on the mantle as a conversation piece. Take your rig to a fly shop and don't pay more than $30 -$45 for a basic reel for trout - pan fish. Get a floating fly line in the same price range and have them load the reel with 50-80yds of nylon backing --- then the fly line --- have them add a butt section with a perfection knot. Pick up a couple of 3x and 4x leaders and have them show you how a loop-to-loop hook up works.

troutdude
troutdude
Great suggestions Trout.

I'd also add that you get "weight forward" floating line. It's easier to cast and get some good distance with it.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Check out the Pfluger Medalist fly reels, good reel low price. Spools are low price too. Get one loaded with a sink like and one with a floating line. And remember to pick up a copy of "The Curtis Creek Manifesto". You can get it for about $8 and it will answer all you fly fishing question in an easy fashion. Just a question about the flies you have, did they come with the rod? How old are they. Just interested in what they were. Good luck and tight lines!

B
Big3d
Thanks for the massive response, I can't wait to get it hooked up and set up I'll take a copy of this thread into the fly shop and see where they take me from there!!!!!!!!!
P.S. I freakin love this forum