Need some bass advice...

B
Bobby Brown
Derick said:
Hello all I am new to these forums so I'll introduce myself first. My name is Derick I live in Oak Grove (south end of Milwaukie) and I like to fish. Been fishing for and landing springers, winter steelies and chum salmon most of my life but I cannot catch bass.

I recently starting fishing that lagoonish pond thing in back of Fishermens in Oregon City, I saw a ton of em chillin by that sheriffs dock there but couldn't catch anything. The guy at Fishermens recommended rubber baits in darker colors and to just cast it near or on cover and twitch it along the bottom. So far its been 2 afternoons/evenings and noting worth mentioning do you guys have any suggestions on places near Milwaukie to fish and what techniques to try out?

Derick,
This is a pretty tough time of year from the bank unless you get some random cloudy days or you fish early and late. Don't give up though because September and October can really turn the bass on. I have been catching smallies on robo worms and the fish are spitting up small... TINY minnows right now so just pay attention to the size of the baitfish to know if you need to use smaller thin baits or if you can get away with something larger. When all else fails... tubes are a great bait that can be worked weightless like a top water or with different sizes of weights or jigheads fast or slow, deep or shallow... and smallies love 'em!

Good luck and hope to hear some success stories soon!

Bobby
fish4life.net

M
Markcanby
Im sorry but its summer time get out early put a Rapala on an catch a bunch of fish. I see guys fishing tubes an senkos all the time an just dont get it. If it warm out bass will suspended on the structure. So unless you are fishing brush piles or rock ledges put up the rubber for the slow winter months an have some fun with Topwaters an shallow divers.

D
Derick
What type of lure do u suggest? for a topwater

M
Markcanby
I like the Segmented Rapalas. I twitch them a little before I retrieve them.

F
fishndad
well for one i think a senko is a tremendously gret bait for bass and especialy for a beginner! throw it out and let it sink! the bite happens on the fall.

T
todd
fishndad said:
well for one i think a senko is a tremendously gret bait for bass and especialy for a beginner! throw it out and let it sink! the bite happens on the fall.

i agree.the best bait. for me if its not working then i will try other lures. or i will use differant stuff for the fun of it but nothing ever catches more then the worm.yesterday i cought 30 bass all worms.they love them

C
c_chickens
3inch senkos r pretty money! i watch people throw crank baits spinner baits an dont catch anything! ive been throwing a double tail an has been killn it! all from the bank!

C
cookshot
Here is the thing I have found with bass. They strike on almost anything if you know how to do it. I fish primarily a senko and my buddy fishes rapalas and my other buddy is an orange rooster tail junky. We all catch bass, and it really just depends on what you are comfortable with and what you prefer. I personally never do any good with topwater stuff, probably because i just suck with it. And I do better with a senko then a rapala because I dont know how to work them as well. There are definitely times of year or situations when some work better than others, but generally, I would suggest getting to know ONE type of lure at a time, don't go out and buy every one or else you'll be broke and you will never stick with anything long enough to catch fish.

C
c_chickens
cookshot said:
Here is the thing I have found with bass. They strike on almost anything if you know how to do it. I fish primarily a senko and my buddy fishes rapalas and my other buddy is an orange rooster tail junky. We all catch bass, and it really just depends on what you are comfortable with and what you prefer. I personally never do any good with topwater stuff, probably because i just suck with it. And I do better with a senko then a rapala because I dont know how to work them as well. There are definitely times of year or situations when some work better than others, but generally, I would suggest getting to know ONE type of lure at a time, don't go out and buy every one or else you'll be broke and you will never stick with anything long enough to catch fish.
i agree on that! its all on the retrieve speed an where there at

M
Markcanby
They are fine baits but this time of year bass will hit topwater an if you dont think that is the funnest way to catch a bass have fun with your slinky sinky. But you can catch bass on rubbers 6 months out of the an only get a few months of fish exploding out of the water to take your plug.

Just my opinion but I find pitching rubber boring.

C
cookshot
Topwater is definitely the most fun way to catch fish. When they come up and slam it is awesome, that is for sure. I suck at it however and never have any luck. Actually the majority of topwater I have caught fish with was with a senko swimming it on top, and letting it sink an inch or two every once in a while, you just can't bury the hook back in the worm when texas rigging like you normally would.

T
todd
top water is the funnest but not the most productive i have been fishing a frog the first two hours of fishing buzz baits to and catching about 6 bass but when i put down the top water and put on a worm its every other cast im reeling in a fish.thats not boring.maybe u just like watching ur bait

D
Derick
Well 4 hours of fishing today yielded 2 hits on 3inch senkos. I got out there at about 8 am but nothing doin.

H
Hawk
Derick said:
Well 4 hours of fishing today yielded 2 hits on 3inch senkos. I got out there at about 8 am but nothing doin.

Bro, 80 per cent of the fish hang out in 20 per cent of the water area.

You gotta find them,

keep moving around if'n your not catching,, until you find some Action

Try different baits & lures.
:D

T
Throbbit _Shane
keep throwing those senkos. most of the time they'll bite it on the fall. also u might try getting to the water a little earlier :D

Im also new at targeting bass. but yesterday was my best day as of yet. 5 inch green senkos texas and wacky rigged worked for me :)

C
cookshot
Green and purple with flake have done well by me too. Yeah, you definitely want to move when your bass fishing.

D
Derick
Ya I was moving as much as I can for some reason ppl like to play around in gross water so there were quite a few dogs, swimmers and a few RC power boats out on the water. What I really need is a better area to fish or ppl with dogs and RC boats to not show up.

T
Throbbit _Shane
or get yourself a pontoon boat :D

i just recently got one on craigslist for 80 bucks.

T
todd
try 5" u can cast them a lot farther and the sink deeper

D
Derick
I think I am getting the wacky worm style down and what not and I got an inflatable boat for 30 bucks hopefully I can put it to use this week.