Need ideas: flooring options for fishing prep room??

E
eugene1
My new house in Nor Cal has a garage for sled parking and rod storage. I am converting the room it leads into to a fishing prep room. A place to tie leaders, spool reels, organize tackle, a chest freezer for fish, another for homebrew, a fireplace, etc.

It was covered with a rich but nasty skanky cheap shag carpet which I promptly removed. Under it was a concrete slab. Mostly in good shape but some yahoo put down "cut back" adhesive and vinyl tiles in about 20 square feet (the rest is clean slab). After removing the tiles and most of the residual cut back, the slab in that area is kinda stained black so I probably won't get it polished and stained with a leaping nook motif.

Any ideas for what to put on it? I'm thinking big a$$ tiles but maybe cork or sheet vinyl? Wood seems like a liability if it gets wet from equipment or beer.

Thanks,

Reactions: fishtales
J
JeannaJigs
I'd definitely roll with some tile, or even vinyl/linoleum stuff if its a place that's gonna get abused.

Reactions: eugene1 and fishtales
E
eugene1
Thx,

I'm thinking tiles too, just can't get the idea of EZ to clean vinyl sheet out of my brain. I guess resale would favor tiles too, but they are kinda cold in the winter.

JeannaJigs said:
I'd definitely roll with some tile, or even vinyl/linoleum stuff if its a place that's gonna get abused.

H
halibuthitman
I would paint it with a high qaulity garage floor paint and then seal it so it shines.. if you drop a reel or a beer on tile... your gonna regret it, tile on concrete has no give.. and shatters.. the hallway in my basement has tile on the slab and the grout doesn't stay and 4 tiles have broke in 5 years-

Reactions: fishtales
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
halibuthitman said:
I would paint it with a high qaulity garage floor paint and then seal it so it shines.. if you drop a reel or a beer on tile... your gonna regret it, tile on concrete has no give.. and shatters.. the hallway in my basement has tile on the slab and the grout doesn't stay and 4 tiles have broke in 5 years-

I was thinking the same thing but either way, epoxy coated concrete or tile on concrete, things dropped are at risk of damage also. But perhaps a few well placed rubberized mats, the kind that are easy to rinse off as needed, those would protect the floor and anything dropped.

and I would add: this sounds like a fantastic "fish cave"!

O
OnTheFly
My brother-in-law painted his basement floor to make it look like fractured marble. He went over it with the base color he chose then painted the cracks darker to give that 'fractured' look. It's a little bit of a process to blend the colors right but it looks cool. Go to a flooring outfit and ask how to do it and color choices if you're interested.

Reactions: eugene1
Irishrover
Irishrover
Looks like you are ahead of the curve already by getting rid of the carpet. I have a short knapped carpet in my fishing room, what a pain when you drop a hook! When I do take the carpet out I'm going to put down a bamboo floor. Having a fire place in your fishing, now that living!

18406ej
18406ej
We found a place in PDX that sells rolls of true linoleum at a good price. Eugene being Eugene I am sure you could find this product there too. This Lino is made from the original recipe from the 1800's, using boiled linseed oil instead of PVC so you don't have any VOC off-gassing. If you have ever been in an old house where the kitchen has not been remodeled, the flooring is most likely the original linoleum, as this stuff wears like iron.

This product is impervious to chlorine bleach washings and will not discolor. It is a true flat surface without the textures and voids of vinyl flooring, guaranteeing that no residue or debris is left behind. The Lino is not slippery when wet.

Lino is flexible as well as strong which allows one to run the product several inches up a wall, thus ensuring a seamless and easily cleaned floor pan. The typical vinyl install runs flat to a wall, is cut off at floor level and then "sealed" using sanitary (plastic) baseboard. This connection leaves open crevices that allow bacterial (odor) growth along the floor seam, and the eventual breakdown of the caulk seal allow moisture to seep into the floor, causing rot.

No, I don't sell Lino for a living, but have had it for years in the laundry room without problems. The feet of our heavy front-load units have not even worn the limo at all. I also read Fine Homebuilding Magazine, which recommends this product and the install method described above.

E
eugene1
Thanks everyone!

Hmmm, tiles may be out now. I was thinking about those big terracotta ones as they might be less prone to breakage? They are also easy to install.

I talked to a guy about lino, he said you have to coat it every year with some conditioner to keep the finish up, I'm not good with cleaning type maintenance. LOL.

F
fishtales
eugene1 said:
Any ideas for what to put on it? I'm thinking big a$$ tiles but maybe cork or sheet vinyl? Wood seems like a liability if it gets wet from equipment or beer.

Thanks,

You could go with a royal mahogany in sheet vinyl to get that wood look. Then, add a basic black base cove. Or do vct tiles at the door and transition to a painted epoxy floor. If the floor is goint to be wet at any time, then add a little sand textrure. Also, one of the VCT sellers offers a environmentally friendly tile that might work. I think it is made from corn.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Cork!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: eugene1 and fishtales
F
fishtales
Would horse stall mats work? They can take a beating. You might be able to find them use and clean them up/sanitize them.

E
eugene1
fishtales,

I looked at something similar at the homedepot here. Interlocking rubber mats. Was gonna pull the trigger even tho they were kinda spendy. But they stank like rubber/ chemicals.

I think something temporary and somewhat low cost like click together cork or vinyl will be the best for me right now. I just want to get my gear unpacked/organized to hit the American river for winter steelies. I want to do something more elaborate down the road, but it can wait.

Thanks,

fishtales said:
Would horse stall mats work? They can take a beating. You might be able to find them use and clean them up/sanitize them.

E
eugene1
By the way HHM,

I did some tiles in the kitchen in my EUG house that was over wood. I used this hard molded plastic sheet called ditra below the tiles. It lets the tiles float a little bit over the subfloor or slab and is supposed to prevent cracking (due to shifting substrate at least).

Check it out if any of you are up for a tiling job in the future, I'll use it again myself.

Get to enjoy unpacking my fishing gear now, can't wait!

Best,

Chromatose
Chromatose
Base boards for sure. Might as well have it look finished. You have gone this far..........Looking nice!

Top Bottom