Native Retention on the Big C

P
PandaMan
Hi all,
I just watched a YouTube video of a guide in a personal boat (with friend & neighbor) fishing right before the Bonneville Dam & noticed they retained a couple of Chinook that weren't fin clipped. Am I missing something here? I thought retention of those were illegal. Only thing I can think of is that there aren't any hatcheries up there so they'd all be native but that doesn't seem reasonable either.
TIA
🐼

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
lots of native chinook retention allowed, at times, in the fall lower Columbia seasons, link to full regs updates for this year is below, if you scroll down a bit, looks like Aug1 to Sept21 in the section just below Bonnevilee, one chinook per day that is either native or clipped:

---------------------

Warrior Rock/Bachelor Island upstream to Bonneville Dam

• August 1 – September 21: Retention of Chinook and hatchery coho allowed. The daily adult bag limit is two salmon, but only one may be a Chinook.
  • September 22 – 30: Salmonid angling prohibited.
  • October 1 – 31: Retention of hatchery coho allowed; all Chinook must be released. The daily adult bag limit is two hatchery coho.
  • November 1 – December 31: Retention of hatchery coho and hatchery steelhead allowed; all Chinook must be released. The daily adult bag limit is two salmonids (coho or steelhead only).
----------------------

https://myodfw.com/recreation-report/fishing-report/columbia-zone#Regulation-Updates

Reactions: Snopro, troutdude and PandaMan
P
PandaMan
rogerdodger said:
lots of native chinook retention allowed, at times, in the fall lower Columbia seasons, link to full regs updates for this year is below, if you scroll down a bit, looks like Aug1 to Sept21 in the section just below Bonnevilee, one chinook per day that is either native or clipped:

---------------------

Warrior Rock/Bachelor Island upstream to Bonneville Dam

• August 1 – September 21: Retention of Chinook and hatchery coho allowed. The daily adult bag limit is two salmon, but only one may be a Chinook.
  • September 22 – 30: Salmonid angling prohibited.
  • October 1 – 31: Retention of hatchery coho allowed; all Chinook must be released. The daily adult bag limit is two hatchery coho.
  • November 1 – December 31: Retention of hatchery coho and hatchery steelhead allowed; all Chinook must be released. The daily adult bag limit is two salmonids (coho or steelhead only).
----------------------

https://myodfw.com/recreation-report/fishing-report/columbia-zone#Regulation-Updates
Thanks Roger, I had looked at the regs last week for dates & landmarks and didn't remember seeing anything about the non fin clipped!