How many fishing tags/licenses do I need?

S

surfaday

Hi all, just a lurker here, enjoying the discussions and enjoying giving all my lures to the river.

Finally had a question:

I was wondering what licenses I really need to buy to fish legally here in Oregon. I had a fishing license and a salmon tag all year then when I was looking over the draft of the 2010 regs I noticed there's also a hatchery tag!

Do I need that hatchery tag, especially now when only fin-clipped chinook and steelhead are open? I friend of mine says that the hatchery tag is just to give the over the top fish catchers a legal way to get more than what a salmon tag alone allows. If we don't fill our salmon tags, the fin-clipped hatchery fish can go on the salmon tag too.

Being as I haven't caught a single dang salmon or steely, that really doesn't apply to me.

But its cheaper to be legal than it is to be fined, so I was just wondering what you experts knew.

BTW, price of every license/tag is going up in 2010. I'll still enjoy getting out there although it'd be nice to catch stuff once in a while.

Walter

C

Chedster

The hatchery tag allows you to keep additional hatchery fish. Should be good to go with your license and combined salmon/steelhead tag if you don't catch over 20 salmon/steelhead in a year.

G

ghostcow

And just to be clear. Say I want to fish for salmon/steelhead but don't plan to keep any, I am assuming I still need a fishing license AND a salmon/steelhead tag. Is that correct?
Thanks