Native Coho retention

B
bigsteel
crusty old fisherman said:
unfortunately odds are that out of those 10 nate coho you catch and release 50% of them are going to die. coho just arent a hearty fish they expend all their energy in a 5 minute fight which leaves them susceptable to lactic acid increases and death. in all the years I have been fishing I have never once caught a coho with a hook tear in its mouth or a spinner hanging from its mouth and that leads me to believe they dont survive catch and release.

50% mortality rate for catch and release,and that is based off YOU not catching a fish with a lure in its mouth......what is the magical lure that only catches hatchery fish?

M
markasd
I have a hard time buying the %50 - MAYBE %?. Is there any data for this percentage? Would like to know more about the c&r mortality rate on Coho Salmon.

Was gonna say %33, roughly a third - but I have NO data to back this up whatsoever.

Curious though really..

P
plumb2fish
Actually the mortality rate of coho can be as high as 70% in the estuary....It's not that they are allowing a retention fishery that bothers me, It is the fact that people will high-grade until they are satisfied with the one they arte keeping killing 70% of what they let go.
I would love to see the regulations state "catch a coho, and you are done for the day."
I personally have only hooked 2-3 coho on the siuslaw when I wasn't spinner trolling. If I'm hooking coho, I'm trolling too fast, or my spin is wrong.

P
plumb2fish
Coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) were caught with sport gear in the estuary of the Little Susitna River, southcentral Alaska. Fish were double marked and released. All coho salmon observed migrating through a weir above the estuary and a portion caught in a sport fishery below the weir were examined for marks. A second group of coho salmon were caught using similar sport gear above the estuary. These fish were handled and marked identically as the fish captured in the estuary, except that they were held in a holding pen at the weir with an equal number of coho salmon dip netted at the weir. Coho salmon which were caught and released in the estuary suffered a significantly higher rate of mortality (69%) than did either the coho salmon caught and held above the estuary (12%) or those which were dip netted and held at the weir (1%). Factors that could influence rates of hook-induced mortality were measured at the time of hooking. Hook location, hook removal, and bleeding significantly affected the measured mortality rate.

markasd said:
I have a hard time buying the %50 - MAYBE %?. Is there any data for this percentage? Would like to know more about the c&r mortality rate on Coho Salmon.

Was gonna say %33, roughly a third - but I have NO data to back this up whatsoever.

Curious though really..

R
rippin fish lips
Thuggin4Life said:
Yeah might have opne seat come this fall for tidewater trolling.

Meeee meeee pick meee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J
JeannaJigs
Pffff...I have bought stock in that boat LOL.

rippin fish lips said:
Meeee meeee pick meee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R
rippin fish lips
JeannaJigs said:
Pffff...I have bought stock in that boat LOL.

Well i have cash waitin for a trip in that boat!! lol.

I also have only hooked 1 coho on the slaw, and that was trolling herring.

C
crusty old fisherman
I spoke with the top dog at ODFW once and he admittied to me they know mortality is very very high possibly as high as 75% but he wouldnt put it in paper nor allow me to quote him. typical politician say one thing to one person but always leave the door open to denie it to somone else.

also if you go look at the monterey bay aquariums website there is a link to their envriomental group and they sternly suggest that oregon caught salmon be boycotted because ODFW kills more wild fish then they catch hatchery fish in the ocean fisherie.
ODFWs methods are not condusive for run growth just stagnation and decrease of wild coho populations

J
JeannaJigs
There's always PETA and their sea kitten campaign to go with the monterey bay environmentalists...

C
crusty old fisherman
JeannaJigs said:
There's always PETA and their sea kitten campaign to go with the monterey bay environmentalists...

the monterey bay aquarium isn't anti harvest though lol they want to promote catch limits and regs that will allow runs to rebuild theirself.

the problem i see is that oregon sets limits for maximum yeild to sustain the status quoe.
no room for errors no room for poor ocean conditions nothing. thats not a good policy period

the head of ODFW admitted to me that it would be far better to allow 20 fish period and get off the ocean for the wild fish populations but because of political pressure they will not do it. it seems that the coastal tourist trade is more valuable to the politicians then having wild runs of fish.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah jeanna you must be the biggest share holder in my boat. lol. always fun to have you aboard.

B
beaverfan
I spoke with the top dog at ODFW once and he admittied to me they know mortality is very very high possibly as high as 75% but he wouldnt put it in paper nor allow me to quote him. typical politician say one thing to one person but always leave the door open to denie it to somone else.

also if you go look at the monterey bay aquariums website there is a link to their envriomental group and they sternly suggest that oregon caught salmon be boycotted because ODFW kills more wild fish then they catch hatchery fish in the ocean fisherie.
ODFWs methods are not condusive for run growth just stagnation and decrease of wild coho populations

If ODFW's methods are conducive to decrease of wild coho populations then why are they recovering at a pretty good clip?

C
crusty old fisherman
they are not recoverig at the rate they could be with eco friendly practices.

when they first opened the ocean fisherie the coho were thick in the rivers in early october now those early coho are not anywhere near the number they were.
ocean mortality from catch and release kills a huge percentage of the early season coho there for not letting that portion of the run recover.

early season coho are the hardest hit because the ocean gets ruff as the season progresses so the later returning fish arent hit near as hard .

ideally they would make you keep the first 20 ocean caught fish and get off the ocean then numbers of early run coho would increase.

the growth in coho numbers are mostly late season because they have far less ocean mortality, so even though the overall numbers are up certain segments of the coho population are not growing

R
rippin fish lips
they are not recoverig at the rate they could be with eco friendly practices.

when they first opened the ocean fisherie the coho were thick in the rivers in early october now those early coho are not anywhere near the number they were.
ocean mortality from catch and release kills a huge percentage of the early season coho there for not letting that portion of the run recover.

early season coho are the hardest hit because the ocean gets ruff as the season progresses so the later returning fish arent hit near as hard .

ideally they would make you keep the first 20 ocean caught fish and get off the ocean then numbers of early run coho would increase.

the growth in coho numbers are mostly late season because they have far less ocean mortality, so even though the overall numbers are up certain segments of the coho population are not growing

That is well put. Makes sense in my own opinion.

P
plumb2fish
Bad Tuna said:
The chinook populations on the Alsea and Siuslaw are in far better shape than the coho. This is about maximum opportunity. I think the coho populations should rebound more, less than 2 decades ago they were listed as threatened. There is likely going to be a season on the Nestucca, and possibly the Wilson and Trask. I think it is too soon, so I'll do my part and not retain any wild coho. It's up to anglers to protect a resource when odfw wants to gamble. My .02

I knew I could find some worthy of the title "sport fisher's":clap:Brandon, Crusty and Bad Tuna:clap:...
It's about the fish,not who gets to kill the last one.....There are already plenty of these coho killed incidentally as well as those that don't know any better or at least claim such...

L
LilCorky
Why do we fish for the Coho at all ?

R
RunWithSasquatch
They taste good. Real good.

C
crusty old fisherman
the thing is that we as fishermen and sportsmen do not have to keep a fish when we do not think it is right to keep them, but I see nothing wrong with keeping a fish thats gushing blood or is damaged from rolling in the line. will I keep a wild fish that apears to be in great health when accidentally hooked fishing for chinook ? the answer to that is no.

everyone has the opprotunity to do the right thing. ODFWs version of the right thing is controlled by politics and money donated to politicians

F
fishtales
There was an interesting article on costal river coho runs in today's Newberg Graphic. It looks like there will be more info in the weeks to come after some meetings.

N
n8r1
LilCorky said:
Why do we fish for the Coho at all ?

Along with what Sasquatch said, even in rivers where coho retention isn't allowed, they run at the exact same times as the Chinooks, in the exact same water, and strike the exact same offerings as the Nooks do. So even if you're targeting Chinook you are likely to hook into a coho without even trying.