N Santiam for Memorial Day

N Santiam for Memorial Day

• Total voters
B
bigred
I'm heading up to the N Santiam for memorial day, my father has a house on the river a few miles up from the bridge in Lyons, and was wondering if anyone has some tips for fishing in the area.
I'm bringing some friends so hopefully I'll have some pictures to post throughout the weekend.
I caught one 34" steelhead last week off his property using a #15 size panther martin, black body with a gold leaf. I also got a 26" off the S Santiam at waterloo using the same lure.
I'm heading up tomorrow, and I might post the fish recycle information from minto on this thread. I'm mainly interested in information on salmon in the area and what to use to target them. Thanks for the info!

A
autofisher
Actually man, I use pretty much everything you have listed. Anything from hardware, to bait and jigs and corkie and yarn. Right now until the water warms a little, I think the fish are still more toward bait than anything. Try sandshrimp or eggs. I got absolutely crushed on the water yesterday.... fought it for about 3 seconds and then it looked at me and hocked a huge bait loogey back at the boat. But that's how I roll.

B
bigred
First day

First day

Just got up here, did more yardwork on my dads place than fishing.
Tried spinners and pink worms off his bank for an hour or so. I'll hopefully have pictures of a fish tomorrow, me and my buddy are going to try drifting some eggs from the boat and we'll see what happens.

B
bigred
2nd Day

2nd Day

Yesterday I got up and watched 5 boats float down through the hole in front of my dads place. I figured it was pretty fished out, but as I drank my coffee and ate breakfast I saw a good 6-8 lb fish jump out of the hole and do a double backflip once all the boats left.
Went up to the hatchery, the last update was on the 25th, 8 winter steel for the week, 119 total. 28 summer steel for the week and 114 total, with no chinook reaching minto yet. They didn't have information posted on the next recycle. I called marion forks and they also didn't know when they would be dropping fish.
Spent the day with my buddy fishing eggs and corkie with no luck, threw plenty of spinners of every kind and didn't see anything moving other than the one that jumped in the morning. I'm about to head down for the morning and see, good luck to everyone fishing today!

A
autofisher
Is the water up there still high? I think they're letting a crap load of water out for the Rose Festival.

B
bigred
No, the water level is dropping, almost a foot today. Talked to a few guys and nobody has caught anything, my buddy got a bite using a pink jig and the fish took off and jumped 3 times after it hit. Right now I'm sitting by the river watching the fire. hopefully some fish hold off the property here with the water dropping and we'll see about tomorrow.

S
SantiamDrifter
Did you guys have a canope up with a couple chairs under it and some fishing poles?

B
bigred
Yeah, that's me.

B
bigred
No fish

No fish

Spent the last couple days drifting eggs and throwing spinners. Started to get some trout bites yesterday and messed around with some fly fishing for a while just to get back in practice. Hooked into 2 small trout but didn't land them. I haven't seen any big fish but I heard some people caught a few down at the bridge. Its raining pretty hard today so we'll see how much fishing I get in, I'll probably come back up next weekend to see how the water is then.