My fishing trip to the Rogue 3-26-11

troutdude
troutdude
You don't honestly believe it do you?

Have you seen his/her other threads? The ones that he posts all in one day asking how the fishing is, which hole should I fish, etc. He claims he is getting ready to go fish those spots. But, how can he be in all 6 in one day?

Then just when I step up and call his/her bluff...this bs gets posted? Hmmm...

Just like Jeanna said...his/her eyes are BROWN!

M
metalfisher76
k. I see... I have seen some stuff, odd postings and all. I don`t browse much more than new posts and salmon/steelhead threads. And don`t even click on all of those so I didn`t know it was THAT bad. I did just get done reading another thread that has you wishing for a more lurker friendly dialogue. So I was just goin;"WTF?";) Just sayin...:D

troutdude
troutdude
Good point. Thank you.

I'm done.

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
I checked the date of his post 4 times, I couldn't make up my mind if it was an April Fools gag or what...
I believe its fairly obvious that he is completely sincere about ripping a salamander across a springers face:think:

M
metalfisher76
;)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
troutdude said:
Good point. Thank you.

I'm done.

haha :D

But really, how does a long, cylindrical, florescent salamander with a squiggly tail differ from a long, cylindrical, florescent spinner...? If the fish did hit this bait, it probably didn't see it and think "YUMMY OREGON SALAMANDER!!!!".

R
RunWithSasquatch
Its absolutely possible, my opinion is its not probable. Its a pretty surreal story, especially reading back ground posts. At least, entertaining.:)

C
colbypearson
RunWithSasquatch said:
Its absolutely possible, my opinion is its not probable. Its a pretty surreal story, especially reading back ground posts. At least, entertaining.:)

i like the part where the salmon jumps into the air glistening silver it was so gorgeous, then i see a flick of red from its mouth. the fish had been hooked before! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA his post is my favorite post of all time im thinkin hahaha

M
Mad dog
metalfisher76 said:
All I know is, those are all damn!! good salmon/steel colors. A fish story? maybe... but still. Why the flame on? Just wonderin??

Steelhead eat pink worms, I do believe one would eat a red salamander....they are such dumb fish sometimes! :D Probably not a springer in my opinion. :think: Springers typically don't jump out of the water after they strike a bait....sounds like a line brush!

Last edited:
C_Run
C_Run
Good effort, Gerb! Please post pic of rig.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Mad dog said:
Steelhead eat pink worms, I do believe one would eat a red salamander....they are such dumb fish sometimes! :D Probably not a springer in my opinion. :think: Springers typically don't jump out of the water after they strike a bait....sounds like a line brush!

thats what iw as thinking,.. even though i don't believe this story if he was fishing with the said bait it was most likely a tail slap or he ran into the fish while retrieveing and i agree with c_run post a pic of your rig. :lol:

D
Drew9870
How often do you see something Chartruese, Orange, Blue, Pink, or Purple naturally floating down the river? But yet, fishermen still catch Salmon and Steelhead on psychedelic colored wads of trash that look nothing like a natural food source.

Fish hit things out of curiosity, maybe a Chinook doesn't want some intruder coming into its territory, the curly tail of a rubber salamander might mimic the action of a spinner enough to tick the fish off.

Whether or not the Springers are in that area, I do not see it being near impossible to get a Salmon or Steely on a rubber lizard, those fish are pretty much bipolar, maybe not every fish will consider hitting it, but there are always a few that are extra curious/aggressive.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Drew9870 said:
How often do you see something Chartruese, Orange, Blue, Pink, or Purple naturally floating down the river? But yet, fishermen still catch Salmon and Steelhead on psychedelic colored wads of trash that look nothing like a natural food source.

Fish hit things out of curiosity, maybe a Chinook doesn't want some intruder coming into its territory, the curly tail of a rubber salamander might mimic the action of a spinner enough to tick the fish off.

Whether or not the Springers are in that area, I do not see it being near impossible to get a Salmon or Steely on a rubber lizard, those fish are pretty much bipolar, maybe not every fish will consider hitting it, but there are always a few that are extra curious/aggressive.

I agree. Consider divers of various shape and colors, as well as jigs.. How do they resemble the more common food sources?

Pertaining to that topic:

Salmon.JPG

Also, we don't know if it was a salmon or a steelhead. This thread immediately centered around the salamander, which was not the subject of the OP but was added information pertaining to the one strike he got after fishing all day.

GerbilManBoa said:
Luckily though I got a bite... eventually. I was using a 3" soft plastic salamander swim bait. Red with blue sparkles and a fluorescent orange tail.

The red he saw in the corner of the mouth could also have been a clump of yarn.

D
Drew9870
GraphiteZen said:
I agree. Consider divers of various shape and colors, as well as jigs.. How do they resemble the more common food sources?

Exactly, people say jigs resemble Shrimp, if we were trying to offer the fish a natural presentation, we would use our head and think to ourselves, ''how often does a Salmonid see Shrimp in freshwater''.

I even believe the same applies with bugs and hatches, I don't think the fish take enough time to study up the who, wheres, and whens of a hatch, they see a larvae, nymph, or emerger and don't all of the sudden think 'MAYFLY!', they think 'FOOD!', fish are opportunistic, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be picky about what we ate if we didn't always have a place to fetch food, if you lived in a jungle and found ripe bananas during the wrong time of year, I doubt you would turn your head and say 'that isn't right for this time of year', you now live off of what you can, and you sure as s*** won't turn down that opportunity.

Reactions: metalfisher76
M
metalfisher76
I`m glad I got y`alls attention:) They ain`t too bright, feesh that is. It coulda just looked like an articulated leech pattern was my 1st thought. Anyway like drew said "curiosity" is what causes a salmonid to strike a lot of the time. They don`t have hands guys!
Did this REALLY happen?? Don`t know, don`t exactly care. All we can do is consider sources and go fishin.

D
Drew9870
Regarding those that are skeptical about Daheleets (sorry if spelling is wrong) bait, it is possible to create an unordinarly attractive bait that stimulates feeding. The Octopus tentacle is possibly the baits natural protein/scent source, and the cure is most likely a shelf life preservative with a blend of Amino Acids and Proteins, Betaine is a known Amino Acid that can stimulate fish into feeding, no doubt 9/10 a fish will eat something that benefits its health.

In no way am I saying he totally just took a dump on all Steelhead baits known to man, but he or whomever created the concoction, may have an idea on fish feeding habits down to the science, and can actually possibly entice 15-25% more fish into eating the damn thing.

All fish are basically the same as far as Amino Acid/Protein requirements (Zen totally proved it), all of what I typed wouldn't had been typed if I had never taken up Carp fishing and Bait making, I bet a high quality Carp Boilie would be a killer bait for a plethora of fish species.

Last edited:
T
the salmon kid
you all may not believe this but this weekend at the hatchery i hooked into a fish that spooled me.,. and i was using 15 lb test and a clump of roe i don't know if it was a springer or not but the glimps i got of the fish was a VERY BIG and chrome flash and it went strait up river and snapped me off at the spool and i even tightened my drag on my spinning reel as i fought it ,.,, so they could be up here already but i dont know what it was,., it could of have been a big steelhead ,., who knows

but the bass lure makes me laugh ,.,, ive seen many people at the river using top water poppers, buzz baits and all different kinds of bass lures and in all of the years of fishing,. i have never,ever seen or even remotely heard of a salmon being caught on a bass lure ,.,the olny chance you mite have is to foul hook one by accident ,.,,or you mite of have saw a really big winter steelhead ,., and some times the mind will play tricks on you when you are out there fishing for hours on end,. , what may have seemed like a 15-20 lb salmon,.,could of been a fat chrome winter steelhead ,., who knows

J
JeannaJigs
Were you using a red hook?! Because ya know that may have been the same fish, and it may have been your hook hanging vibrantly from it's bold and shiny mouth as it was jumping and getting air after it ran off with dudes salamander. I think that what's happened here! seriously.

It's my 03:00-spontaneously-woke-up-and-can't-fall-back-asleep, stroke of genius! For realssss

M
Mad dog
the salmon kid said:
you all may not believe this but this weekend at the hatchery i hooked into a fish that spooled me.,. and i was using 15 lb test and a clump of roe i don't know if it was a springer or not but the glimps i got of the fish was a VERY BIG and chrome flash and it went strait up river and snapped me off at the spool and i even tightened my drag on my spinning reel as i fought it ,.,, so they could be up here already but i dont know what it was,., it could of have been a big steelhead ,., who knows

but the bass lure makes me laugh ,.,, ive seen many people at the river using top water poppers, buzz baits and all different kinds of bass lures and in all of the years of fishing,. i have never,ever seen or even remotely heard of a salmon being caught on a bass lure ,.,the olny chance you mite have is to foul hook one by accident ,.,,or you mite of have saw a really big winter steelhead ,., and some times the mind will play tricks on you when you are out there fishing for hours on end,. , what may have seemed like a 15-20 lb salmon,.,could of been a fat chrome winter steelhead ,., who knows

Ha,ha....Don't kid yourself! If you think Chinook can't be caught on a bass lure, you have never fished the Umpqua!

M
Mad dog
I once watched a hen steelhead in the viewing window at Winchester dam REPEATEDLY attack a small piece of bark as it swirled around in the current!!! Why the hell would it do that? I have seen springers follow baits a far distance looking them over.