My first steel head ever caught yesterday!!!

H
Hooked4Life
I am excited and hooked on catching big fish now! I can't wait to go fishing again which I think will be today.

• fishing.jpg
Last edited:
B
bran_man
Nice cookie cutter! Nothing much better than a fresh steelhead battle. You're going to get addicted now.I know exactly where you are in that pic, it's a great spot.I've caught plenty of fish around there so keep exploring that...

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hooked4Life said:
I am excited and hooked on catching big fish now! I can't wait to go fishing again which I think will be today.
Very nice, will make a great dinner! Yep, you are headed toward a lifelong addiction...and there's no known cure. Have fun and enjoy!

madasahab
madasahab
Hooked4Life said:

Nice job! You may consider a therapist or 12 step program... :shock:

Y
Yogidabear
good job

I
I need stitches
Nice! Congrats. What river is that?

B
bran_man
It's the noneya! As in none ya business! Lol jk I will just private message you.once the name of a river gets put on here, all of the story chasers come flocking and the river gets packed... Well it's going to start getting busy out there anyways I guess...

Troutski
Troutski
Nice stretch of river....

Nice stretch of river....

bran_man said:
It's the noneya! As in none ya business! Lol jk I will just private message you.once the name of a river gets put on here, all of the story chasers come flocking and the river gets packed... Well it's going to start getting busy out there anyways I guess...

:clap::lol:

Chuck

T
Tinker
Well done! I'm curious, though: how many years did it take to catch your first? I'm at 11 months and counting and just want a guess at how much longer it's going to take...

I'd like to hear more about the lurkers and looky-loo's. If I said I caught a fish at bend X on the Noneya River, would people actually flock there? Don't mean to sound naieve, but honestly I'd feel like such a s**t doing something like that, that I wouldn't enjoy the experience. It really happens that way?

H
Hooked4Life
It's the mckenzie river

H
Hooked4Life
Honestly Ive been trying for about 8 years now but most of that was giving up and going back to trout and bass then I started to read a lot of articles and asked a lot of questions then wham it hit me. Joking it was all luck!!!

T
Tinker
Man! That's the best news I've heard all day. I only have 7 years and 1 month left until I catch my first steelhead? Don't know how I can sleep through the nights knowing I'm that close. Holy cow!

H
Hooked4Life
lol

B
bran_man
Hooked4Life said:
It's the mckenzie river

And then a newbie has to come in and ruin it and blab the spot! Lol jk

Tinker: they don't call it a fish of a 1,000 casts for nothing! Sure people get lucky all the time and find an aggressive biting fish.but to actually get dialed in and consistently find and catch them, takes some serious hours on the river.you're just going to have to put your time in like the rest of us unfortunately.seriously try this: when or on the river find someone else out there that its noticeably seasoned, our watch for someone that is catching fish when most others aren't and make nice with them.most of the time they are usually willing to give little tips and tricks here and there.learning how to read water helps a lot too.

Reactions: Senator
T
Tinker
bran_man said:
Tinker: they don't call it a fish of a 1,000 casts for nothing!

Sure it's not 10,000 casts? I'm pretty sure I'm over 1,000 casts already.

bran_man said:
try this: when or on the river find someone else out there that its noticeably seasoned, our watch for someone that is catching fish when most others aren't and make nice with them.most of the time they are usually willing to give little tips and tricks here and there.

First or second time I wandered to the river, mostly to spend an hour testing how well I'd set up the rod, I ran into a couple of gentlemen getting ready to launch their boat and talked a long time with them, but never, not once, asked them about how to fish - and one had been a guide for 30 years!

How many angels could waltz on my brain? (Hint: None. I haven't one!)

Thanks! Appreciate the good advice. Looking forward to The Day.

But this is about "Hooked's" first fish, and didn't he do a great job!

Last edited:
S
Silvers&Steelies
Biggest thing that has worked for me with most any fish but especially steelhead is switching it up. I'll Throw out some different jigs and switch colors or a variety of pink worms on my float rod. If I'm drifting I'll switch corkies or yarn balls, spinners or spoon colors after 12-20 casts on each setup where I think fish are. Usually once I switch to something is when they hit. Some days you will only catch them on roe or shrimp and some days just something else. That's why they call it fishing not catching. Good job on the steelhead to the OP, the first is always special. Got mine when I was 16 and hooked ever since.

E
eugene1
congrats on the first summer steel!

Hope you're enjoying the feeling, as they say the tug is the drug and you just got your first taste.

Best,

R
rippin fish lips
Purdy fish dude. Nice one!

H
Herefishyfishy
Congrats man, awesome!

S
Senator
Right on man! That's a good lookin steelie and you'll never forget your first... :)

Reactions: bran_man