My dog got Salmon poisoning

R
Rugbyboon
Just giving everyone a heads up. I took my Black Lab fishing with me at Lost Lake and he got into some of the trout blood when I was cleaning the fish. Around 14 days later he got real sick he stopped eating, bad stuff coming out at both ends, and he could barley stand up on his own. I took him to the vet and he asked where the dog has been. I told him about the fishing trip and the first thing out of his mouth was your dog has salmon poisoning. Me coming from up state NY I have never heard of this because it is only out here in the north west. The dog will be making a full recovery, only because I got him to the vet in time, if it would have been a few days later they said he might not have made it.
Salmon Poisoning Disease
 
  • Like
Reactions: Markcanby
N
n8r1
Here in the Pacific NW, salmon poisoning for dogs is a big problem. My dog is one of those animals that eats everything, and I know that if she came across a salmon carcass on a riverbank she would try and eat it unless I grabbed her in time. This is why I keep her at home when I go fishing in the fall.

They suggest that if you're going to be in an area where spawned out dead salmon will be on the riverbanks, bring a large syringe (no needle) and some hydrogen peroxide. If your dog gets into some toxic salmon, squirt the peroxide down its throat right away to induce vomiting. Otherwise you will have a very sick dog and a very hefty vet bill on your hands later.

Another myth is that once a dog gets salmon poisoning, it won't ever get it again. This may be true in SOME cases, but do you really want to risk your dog's health again?

I'm glad that your dog will be making a full recovery! That is good news. Welcome to the forum!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Markcanby
R
rippin fish lips
glad ur dog will be recovering well! salmon poisoning is ewwww when it comes to dogs. always watch out for dead trout/salmon/steelhead when u got a dog. my dog is like yours n8r1, eats anything that has a scent to it lol. I dont take him fishing with me.. hes a balck lab. another reason i dont take him fishing with me is he likes to jump in after my lures when they hit the water and im realling in.

I dont feel like hooking my own dog lmao!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Markcanby and n8r1
N
Noahk
n8r1 said:
Here in the Pacific NW, salmon poisoning for dogs is a big problem. My dog is one of those animals that eats everything, and I know that if she came across a salmon carcass on a riverbank she would try and eat it unless I grabbed her in time. This is why I keep her at home when I go fishing in the fall.

They suggest that if you're going to be in an area where spawned out dead salmon will be on the riverbanks, bring a large syringe (no needle) and some hydrogen peroxide. If your dog gets into some toxic salmon, squirt the peroxide down its throat right away to induce vomiting. Otherwise you will have a very sick dog and a very hefty vet bill on your hands later.

Another myth is that once a dog gets salmon poisoning, it won't ever get it again. This may be true in SOME cases, but do you really want to risk your dog's health again?

I'm glad that your dog will be making a full recovery! That is good news. Welcome to the forum!
I second all of that. I carry a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a turkey baster in my glove box now. On the side of the bottle I have written the dose to give the dog, which is based on weight. Once you shoot it down their throat it takes about 15 minutes for them to vomit. My dog got Salmon Poisoning on the Nestucca about 3 months ago after she got into a long dead Salmon. It took her six days to start to get sick and it was certainly expensive. I grew up in Northern California and my dad lived on a river that had a ton of dead salmon each year. He also had dogs and none of them ever got sick. It wasn't till moving to the NW that I really heard of it. Glad your pup is ok.
 
N
n8r1
rippin fish lips said:
hes a balck lab. another reason i dont take him fishing with me is he likes to jump in after my lures when they hit the water and im realling in.

I dont feel like hooking my own dog lmao!

That made me laugh. My last dog was a Black Lab and he did the same thing. Especially when I cast bobbers out--he thought they were little balls to fetch. I tried taking him fishing once and kept yelling at him to quit trying to fetch the bobber! I ended up tying him to a tree just so I could get some fishing in, but then he just whined and barked. I finally decided that dogs and fishing don't mix very well.

My current dog hates swimming and water in general, but she loves eating, and I'm always afraid she's going to try and get into my bait or bait that other fishermen have left on the shore. So she stays home as well.
 
R
rippin fish lips
n8r1 said:
That made me laugh. My last dog was a Black Lab and he did the same thing. Especially when I cast bobbers out--he thought they were little balls to fetch. I tried taking him fishing once and kept yelling at him to quit trying to fetch the bobber! I ended up tying him to a tree just so I could get some fishing in, but then he just whined and barked. I finally decided that dogs and fishing don't mix very well.

My current dog hates swimming and water in general, but she loves eating, and I'm always afraid she's going to try and get into my bait or bait that other fishermen have left on the shore. So she stays home as well.

yeah my dog is crazy!! anything he sees in the water he will go after it, he don't care how deep it is!!
I was at loon lake with him on the east shore on the dock fishing for trout and cokes and watching this one giant bass feed on bluegill... and so was my dog... I casted out letting my spoon sink to the bottom, while it was sinkin i was watchin that bass feed on all the bluegill. Well next thing i see is my dog jumpin in head first after this fish!! He would come up with nothing, swim around to the shore run back to the dock and sit and watch the fish feed. and he just kept doin it all morning long! funniest thing i have ever watched a dog do! :D
 
  • Like
Reactions: n8r1
J
jkeek9
yikes! im so sorry to hear that

but were you referring to the lost lake at the base of mt hood?? is it accessible this time of year?:pray:
 
N
Noahk
jkeek9 said:
yikes! im so sorry to hear that

but were you referring to the lost lake at the base of mt hood?? is it accessible this time of year?:pray:
No the other one, Clatsop county.
 
troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF Rugbyboon. I'm glad that your dog is going to be fine. And I hope that your next report, won't include a sick dog.
 
R
Rugbyboon
Thanks everyone that welcomed me to the forum, there is a lot of great information on here. The dog is doing better he should be back to running circles around me in a few days. The vet did say there are two types of salmon poisoning and he is now immune to the strain he had, but can still get the other type. So no going back to lost lake with me.
 
N
Noahk
Rugbyboon said:
Thanks everyone that welcomed me to the forum, there is a lot of great information on here. The dog is doing better he should be back to running circles around me in a few days. The vet did say there are two types of salmon poisoning and he is now immune to the strain he had, but can still get the other type. So no going back to lost lake with me.
That's really interesting. Do you know how you can tell which strain it was? My vet didn't seem to know all that much about it.
 
R
Rugbyboon
Noahk said:
That's really interesting. Do you know how you can tell which strain it was? My vet didn't seem to know all that much about it.

No I don't, I'll ask the vet when I take the dog in next week.
 
T
Thuggin4Life
Sorry to hear. i went through this last fall. i had been waiting for it to happen so we took her in way ahead of when most people do. wasn't as spendy but still hurt the wallet. I take my dog fishing with me everywhere and will continue to do it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: n8r1
M
markasd
I take, and have taken my boy Simon with me since he was 3 months. He's now almost 9 years. He has not gotten into any yet - he sniffed a carcass or two as a pup and never did find em interesting, wonder why? I had a harder time trying to keep him from chasing the darn Kildee, they'd fool him every time but he's onto em now. The one major incident was bait. Three day trip.. Fished the evening before and set up camp.. Head out on day one, had a good breakfast - sun comin' up over the trees... life is good. Down to the water - drift fishin' a nice seam.. Stepson needs some help with his setup, so I put down my baited up hook - #4 owner, nice dime-size chunk of eggs on the rock, turn around in my tracks and help the kid and then I hear Simon smackin' his chops??? WHAT THE??? He had my leader down to the swivel! Awe damn! snipped it, grabbed the tackle - threw camp in the back of the pick-up and mad-dashed for home. Dropped the child with mom and headed to the vet.. I have to find that x-ray pic... you could clearly see the entire length of the leader, right up to the bait-looped hook... you could see the wraps. He ended up passing it a day later with no issues... He has been on the river for four years prior to that incident, and no other problems since. He still goes with me if its somewhere he can get around, he's getting limited.

Im glad your dog recovered.
 
  • Like
Reactions: n8r1
A
Alfredosauce
Ouch thats no good, hope your pooch is doing better. I stumbled across this thread cause i was just up at lost today, We had a dog that actually died from Salmon poisoning when i was a kid. I was dropping my dads boat off today and i didn't realize that they could get it from trout. so he told me to watch out, i was thinking it might be safe from lake trout but guess thats not the case.
 
R
Roolinghills
My dad's dog got into the same problem after some friends and I were cleaning fish at his house and had no idea that dogs could even get sick... It's pretty scary stuff, but at least the fact that it's popular makes it easy for vets to treat. What I've heard, and check for verification, is that once dogs are exposed and treated, they build an immunity to it. I believe I read it somewhere, so at least you shouldn't have to worry about it again. And it's not actually the fish that make the dogs sick, it's a parasite that lives inside the blood of the fish that does it..
 
N
Noahk
Roolinghills said:
My dad's dog got into the same problem after some friends and I were cleaning fish at his house and had no idea that dogs could even get sick... It's pretty scary stuff, but at least the fact that it's popular makes it easy for vets to treat. What I've heard, and check for verification, is that once dogs are exposed and treated, they build an immunity to it. I believe I read it somewhere, so at least you shouldn't have to worry about it again. And it's not actually the fish that make the dogs sick, it's a parasite that lives inside the blood of the fish that does it..
That's true that it is the parasite that makes them sick but there is some debate over whether they can get sick again. Some think that if the dog develops a fever it is then a immune but you can't develop an immunity to a parasite so I'm not sure that, that makes sense. Better safe than sorry.
 
U
usmc-recon
My wife works for a vet the best antidote is HIGH DOSES OF VITAMIN K that's what they administer and if hydration is an issue gatorade or pedalit anything with electrolites I don't meen to sound like no one else knows what their saying this is just what my wife vet (boss) does
 

Similar threads

troutdude
Replies
7
Views
880
hobster
hobster
troutdude
Replies
7
Views
761
Chromatose
Chromatose
bass
Replies
1
Views
589
troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Replies
2
Views
2K
troutdude
troutdude
bass
Replies
0
Views
316
bass
bass
Top Bottom