Mushroom Hunting

C
CFishRun
Anybody got info regarding morels in oregon. I was wondering about timing, locations, which stands of timber to focus on....you know the basics. I know in michigan I looked for elm stands and burdock patches. Any info will be highly regarded.

Thanks-Jeff

B
beaverfan
pm TTfishon, I believe he is a fellow mushroom hunter and can probably give you some tips.

troutdude
troutdude
I'm not as versed with Morels and with some other native species. But, I've seen them pop up in the Spring...but much earlier (i.e. February or early March) as the snow melts. We've had such a warm winter, that I'd suspect you would need to go high up into the cascades to find any now. I don't think that there will be any in the valley's.

J
joesnuffy
It's about a month away for morels in E.O. Look for fur trees and burns.

troutdude
troutdude
Oh yeah...I remember reading about tons of morels popping up, after the Tillamook Burn (a series of fires from 1933 - 1951). So, looking for recent burn areas is a great idea!

G
gordo
The Morels are here! I just found about 7 of them in my front yard in SE PDX!

troutdude
troutdude
There are a lot of False Morels in Oregon too. I don't know if they are poisonous, but please be aware.

C
CFishRun
Thanks all, I've heard that the east side of the Cascades has a better supply of morels. As for burns does anybody have any leads of burns last year? That info would be most welcome.

Thanks again for all the replies.