Movers and Shakers

S
SoylentGreen
Forgive me forum friends, for I have sinned. I have been unfaithful and went fishing with friends form another forum. Met up with another southern transplant Dave (apparently all my Oregon fishing buddies are from North Carolina) and his buddy Dale. The first plan was to troll for early springers. That was lots of this:
P2070288.png

Plan B was to play with some sturgeon. We met up with 500 of our closest friends at the toyota hole and didn't find anything. Moved around a bit and sat on a pile of shakers. Lots of this:
onmod.jpg

Dave sure doesn't get too excited by the shakers
P2070291.jpg
but it was plenty of fun for this Florida transplant:
sturgeonmod.jpg

At one point Dale hooks up and says "If this one ain't a keeper then none of them are!"
P2070295.jpg
After the moment of truth:
P2070297.png

back it went!

No keepers but always fun to bend a rod. We stayed until we ran out of bait and headed in. I was asleep by 9.30 for the first time in months. Always fun to be out on the water and even more fun in good action.

Note: I am sorry for the modifications on the pics but when it is not my boat I tend to follow the requests of the host. We stayed in the Willamette all day and were never more than 3 miles from the ramp at cathedral park.

F
Fishtopher
Looks fun

Looks fun

Just because we post on this forum, doesn't mean we dont read the other one. With that being said, I'd like to also point out that I read this almost exact same thread on "the forum not to be named". And I thought to myself..."that son of gun, he went and posted his story here before OFF:shock:"...then I realized that you were fishing with another of "it's" members, so makes sense I guess:). Sounds like a killer day on the water:clap:! Although you coulda at least changed the name of the thread...;)

P.S. I noticed you guys got torched pretty bad for using nets for the shakers or taking them outta the water and such...bet we dont see that...here...

Edit...I didn't notice the pic alterations on "the forum not to be named"...

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Nice pictures and it looked like a nice day too. That water is flat and no ripples so no wind that has to be a plus! Modification to the pictures, glad you mentioned that because I was trying to figure that one picture out. Looked like billboard of the sky;)

N
ninja2010
sure is good fun getting into feeeesh, soylent. you're definitely doing better than me...

thanks for sharing.

F
FishFinger
Oh man..... I suppose you can be forgiven for your transgressions.

One, because you confessed your sins....

Two, you posted some great pictures....

Three, in spite of your attempt to hide your location with your snazzy picture mods..... You left enough evidence behind.... I still know where you were!

No worries, you'll always be a part of the family.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
In the future please spend the 2-3 minutes it takes to look up the regulation before you attack someone.

haha love it.

L
luv2fish
hey soylent...good for you...word of advice....don't post this pic elsewhere....any shaker...you can't just take 'em out of water....even for a second....the guy who caught the ( supposedly first ) first springer and boasted of this years first springer, got a fat ticket....cuz the fish was not a keeper....your suppose to measure the fish in water.
I know nobody strictly does that but a pic can land in hot waters. you know what i mean.
since i fished with you and your my fellow OFF'er...so just my 2 cents....goodluck and hope you get some keepers next time.....don forget the pics...

Its a good area to catch sturgy's.....have fished at that "particular sweet spot" many times and believe me at times it kicks fish

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
What?!

What?!

luv2fish said:
hey soylent...good for you...word of advice....don't post this pic elsewhere....any shaker...you can't just take 'em out of water....even for a second....the guy who caught the ( supposedly first ) first springer and boasted of this years first springer, got a fat ticket....cuz the fish was not a keeper....your suppose to measure the fish in water.
I know nobody strictly does that but a pic can land in hot waters. you know what i mean.
since i fished with you and your my fellow OFF'er...so just my 2 cents....goodluck and hope you get some keepers next time.....don forget the pics...

Its a good area to catch sturgy's.....have fished at that "particular sweet spot" many times and believe me at times it kicks fish
:protest::protest::protest:​
Pg. 9 '09 Fishing Regs; unlawful to remove oversize sturgeon totally or in part from the water.
Pg. 49, Willamette zone; Sturgeon, All oversize, undersize, and unwanted legal size must be immediately released unharmed into the water.

Thats it bud. Your rule is incorrect as far as my eye could see. Although it is a nice rule;):lol:....Where did you hear that guy got a ticket for taking a photo and releasing that fish?:think:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Lyn, the gentleman who got the picture of that one particular fish did not recieve a ticket, and the regs do not contain the word "MUST" only the word "SHOULD" when they are referring to how you are going to handle fish you are either not able to retain legally, or choose not to retain. It is never a good idea to remove fins from the water, but with how many sea-cats are on the hunt, I would net it, and bring it onboard for the release. I have seen a guy get his hand bit, and nearly removed, had he not given up the fish that the big fur-slug was after.

Irishrover
Irishrover
"Pg. 9 '09 Fishing Regs; unlawful to remove oversize sturgeon totally or in part from the water."

So this is sort of a fish story which is a little different from a fishing story. (A fishing story is the whole truth vs a fish story which is sort of meant to be sort of truthfull sort of in a way maybe)

I was sturgeon fishing with a friend of mine in the Columbia near Horsetail Fall hole. There is a little tap tap on the line, I set the hook then the reel starts zinging.......we dump the anchor and after two plus hours pull up an 11' oversized sturgeon. I figure it was 11' because it was about half the size of my 22' boat. When we wore the fish out enough for it to come up and check us out, I told my buddy to put a rope around it's tail. When we got a full view of the fish we decided that was a real dumb idea. Then we recalled the fishing regs .......don't remove this two ton plus fish from the water!!!!!!!

I think that regulation is there to protect some of us overexcited fishermen from ourself and the fish:lol:

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
AA you are dead bang right about that sea cat thing. I wasn't kidding or telling fish story in that thread I started about releasing silver in the ocean. That big fat furry seal got my attention! If your not paying attention you could get hurt. Thanks for pointing that out here. Sorry if this is going away from the thread but AA has a good point.

L
luv2fish
I heard that when i was fishing near barton park from some guys who were fishing there and one of 'em bummed a cig from me...and we were talking and he told me that when the cop was looking his license , he ( cop) said that he heard that , that guy got ticket .
I was kinda surprised too but hey I don't argue with somebody i just started talkin.
My piece of words were just an over cautious advice. I saw one time at rivermill dam ( i can't remember the whole instance and its not important either ) but these three guys had everything right except something and i was fishing right there and it was not a huge thing but the cop took his pole and tackle and gave him $ 180 ticket.
Point is that if sombody who has authority in his hand and want to be an "ass" , no matter you challenge it later at a court or wherever, you got into the "system" ( in a wrong way---even you did nothing wrong and they apologise ).

You can estimate my over cautious "temprament" that last year my tag was just 4 spaces left from bottom ( and i stared fishing "seriously" just ...ummm...mebbe a year and a half back ) and this year too I have 6 fish on my tag but everytime I tag my fish I show it to.... say 4-5 fellow anglers, to make sure everything is right.

This one guy was ticketed for not filling his licence and tag completely. He first started arguing the cop at the "bar" and then obviously the cop was pissed and then he ticketed him for incomplete info on licence and tag and the incomplete info was " How many years you have lived in oregon ".

So you see, it was a friendly advice since I fished with him and for sure don want to see anything wrong goin with the OFF' ers.

Thank you.

B
bigdog
I'm sure there has to be more to all that then just what you are saying. I have had the osp check my tags severl time and all they ever do is look at it right the name or number or what ever it is they right down and thats it. Then when I see the same osp they just say hi and ask if I have had any luck. I'm sure the guy that got the ticket was doing something more then what is said here, and that just MY 2 CENTS

L
luv2fish
i never have my tags checked up anywhere except eagle creek and i fish at lot of places...what i was trying to say was ..that irrespective of whether thye do check it or not...you never know when they come...i've seen places where OSP ot the game warden or even a stater will be watching with binoculars....

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
The only time I have had my tags checked was up at Olalla, and that was just because the lady deputy was really cute. :D

L
luv2fish
:yay::yay::yay:

J
joemomma
Good for you! I will fish that hole tomorrow morning, and see if I can rip a keeper out of there

H
Hawk
i still hav my dog tags...............................:lol::lol::lol:.........................:cool::cool:

S
SoylentGreen
luv2fish said:
Point is that if sombody who has authority in his hand and want to be an "ass" , no matter you challenge it later at a court or wherever, you got into the "system" ( in a wrong way---even you did nothing wrong and they apologise ).

Boy you got that right on Raj. Ask me about this one sometime.

GraphiteZen said:
The only time I have had my tags checked was up at Olalla, and that was just because the lady deputy was really cute. :D

Funny. Man we are going to have to meet up and wet a line or drink a beer or something.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
SoylentGreen said:
Boy you got that right on Raj. Ask me about this one sometime.

Funny. Man we are going to have to meet up and wet a line or drink a beer or something.

Anytime. You live up south further?