mmmm.... I mean yuck lol

W

wormosa

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
446
Location
hagg lake, oregon
i found some fish in the freezer the wife had stored up, but i had no clue what it was, i am betting it was tilapia from winco lol... i had salmon and tuna in there so i cooked it up, threw some fresh jalapenos,tomatoes, garlic and lemon juice on it, well i ate the noodle mix first and finished the noodle mix and gave the dogs the fish.... bummer
 
D

dude young

Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
245
Location
So-Po (Y'know, South of Powell)
Whats the rule with fish when it comes to dogs?

I am pretty sure you should not feed your dogs raw salmon that originates west of the Cascades. Here is a link to an article I read Salmon Poisoning Disease

It is a good thing that I found this because I used to give the dogs the heads of Lakers and Landlocks I caught in NH. Was planning on doing the same till the vet told me about this.
 
F

fishnquest

Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2009
Messages
416
Location
9mi beyond end of the world
Wouldn't it make a dif if the fish was cooked? I can see no raw fish, but I would think cooked should be ok, if he'll eat it (they should know, right?). I'm no dog expert.
 
D

diggindan

Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
119
Location
Junction City
Our dogs love fish bits when I share. Mostly it goes in the freezer for crab bait.
I usually cook any goodies for them. No sense taking a chance with parasites.
Dogs will eat and drink most anything they find. Or roll in it.:rolleyes:
I leave mine home or in the truck if there is a chance of algae. Pretty sad to lose a companion that way.
 
W

wormosa

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
446
Location
hagg lake, oregon
Wouldn't it make a dif if the fish was cooked? I can see no raw fish, but I would think cooked should be ok, if he'll eat it (they should know, right?). I'm no dog expert.
salmon is fine cooked, it is the salmon blood that kills dogs...i have fed my dogs a bite of salmon so many times, and it is just a bite because i hate to waste it lol
 
O

OnTheFly

Well-known member
Joined
May 3, 2009
Messages
2,906
Location
Oregon City
A guy told me once that his dog got salmon poisoning for eating dead salmon on the bank. It almost killed his dog. A vetrinarian had to administer a shot for the dog to cure it. Once a dog is cured of salmon poisoning it will never get it again. Kind of like getting measles; once you get it you won't get it again. The same guy told me that when he gets another dog he'll most likely let it eat salmon again, get it cured, then be able to take the dog on fishing trips without worrying about it.
 
F

FishFinger

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2008
Messages
1,223
Location
Central Oregon
OTF, that is not true. I know this first hand after my pup found a trout head the had wife buried in a shallow grave; in the back yard. I know who I "won't" ask to help me bury a dead body! j/k..

He got really sick.

Only because I found his grave robbing adventures did we put the pieces together.

The salmon poisoning is actually a parasite, a worm called a fluke. Salmoniods returning to fresh water get them almost immediately. Trout being residents, consistently have them.

The treatment is two fold, one to mitigate the bacterial toxins from the flukes waste products. We used Rimfampin, which is similar to; if not the same compounds used for TB.

The second aspect of the treatment is for the fluke/ nematode itself.

Because this "illness" is parasitic/ bacterial, it can be contracted more than once.

So thoroughly cooked fish (salmoniods) would be safe. I never give my dogs any fish, more so because of the bones; same reason I don't give them bird scraps.
 
Last edited:
T

TTFishon

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
3,395
Location
Mohawk valley, Oregon
A guy told me once that his dog got salmon poisoning for eating dead salmon on the bank. It almost killed his dog. A vetrinarian had to administer a shot for the dog to cure it. Once a dog is cured of salmon poisoning it will never get it again. Kind of like getting measles; once you get it you won't get it again. The same guy told me that when he gets another dog he'll most likely let it eat salmon again, get it cured, then be able to take the dog on fishing trips without worrying about it.

I've heard that before too.
 
S

silkiechicken

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Messages
47
Location
Corvallis, OR and Everett, WA
I can't say dogs or even chickens know best when it comes to food... chickens will eat Styrofoam... and the dogs will come up behind the chickens and eat their poop. :shock:
 
O

OnTheFly

Well-known member
Joined
May 3, 2009
Messages
2,906
Location
Oregon City
OTF, that is not true. I know this first hand after my pup found a trout head the had wife buried in a shallow grave; in the back yard. I know who I "won't" ask to help me bury a dead body! j/k..

He got really sick.

Only because I found his grave robbing adventures did we put the pieces together.

The salmon poisoning is actually a parasite, a worm called a fluke. Salmoniods returning to fresh water get them almost immediately. Trout being residents, consistently have them.

The treatment is two fold, one to mitigate the bacterial toxins from the flukes waste products. We used Rimfampin, which is similar to; if not the same compounds used for TB.

The second aspect of the treatment is for the fluke/ nematode itself.

Because this "illness" is parasitic/ bacterial, it can be contracted more than once.

So thoroughly cooked fish (salmoniods) would be safe. I never give my dogs any fish, more so because of the bones; same reason I don't give them bird scraps.

Disregard what I said earlier, FishFinger's right. Thanks for the clairification Dan:) The guy that informed me was dead certain he was telling the truth. His experience with his dog was actual salmon poisoning but apparently got the facts mixed up about the desease.Salmon Poisoning in Dogs
 
T

Thuggin4Life

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
Springfield, Oregon
Ok so when I eat it its ok to sneak a piece to the dog. Thanks guys I make sure she doesn't eat and raw fish and try to not let her get any fish blood or slime while fishing with her in the boat.
 
S

strawberry shortcake

Member
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
185
Location
Pendleton and Lostine
My dogs love water and play in the irrigation ditches surrounding the ranch. So I leave them home when I go to the river. Even when the river goes down, it is filled with snags and powerful underwater currents that slide under those snags. I also don't feed my dogs fish. Not even cooked, and I don't throw the guts/head away where the dogs can find it.
 
Top Bottom