mmmm.... I mean yuck lol

wormosa
i found some fish in the freezer the wife had stored up, but i had no clue what it was, i am betting it was tilapia from winco lol... i had salmon and tuna in there so i cooked it up, threw some fresh jalapenos,tomatoes, garlic and lemon juice on it, well i ate the noodle mix first and finished the noodle mix and gave the dogs the fish.... bummer
 
Thuggin4Life
Whats the rule with fish when it comes to dogs?
 
wormosa
Thuggin4Life said:
Whats the rule with fish when it comes to dogs?
if you won't eat it, don't force mans best friend to either? lol
 
dude young
Thuggin4Life said:
Whats the rule with fish when it comes to dogs?

I am pretty sure you should not feed your dogs raw salmon that originates west of the Cascades. Here is a link to an article I read Salmon Poisoning Disease

It is a good thing that I found this because I used to give the dogs the heads of Lakers and Landlocks I caught in NH. Was planning on doing the same till the vet told me about this.
 
TTFishon
Tuna is the only fish our dog eats.
 
fishnquest
Wouldn't it make a dif if the fish was cooked? I can see no raw fish, but I would think cooked should be ok, if he'll eat it (they should know, right?). I'm no dog expert.
 
diggindan
Our dogs love fish bits when I share. Mostly it goes in the freezer for crab bait.
I usually cook any goodies for them. No sense taking a chance with parasites.
Dogs will eat and drink most anything they find. Or roll in it.:rolleyes:
I leave mine home or in the truck if there is a chance of algae. Pretty sad to lose a companion that way.
 
wormosa
fishnquest said:
Wouldn't it make a dif if the fish was cooked? I can see no raw fish, but I would think cooked should be ok, if he'll eat it (they should know, right?). I'm no dog expert.
salmon is fine cooked, it is the salmon blood that kills dogs...i have fed my dogs a bite of salmon so many times, and it is just a bite because i hate to waste it lol
 
OnTheFly
A guy told me once that his dog got salmon poisoning for eating dead salmon on the bank. It almost killed his dog. A vetrinarian had to administer a shot for the dog to cure it. Once a dog is cured of salmon poisoning it will never get it again. Kind of like getting measles; once you get it you won't get it again. The same guy told me that when he gets another dog he'll most likely let it eat salmon again, get it cured, then be able to take the dog on fishing trips without worrying about it.
 
FishFinger
OTF, that is not true. I know this first hand after my pup found a trout head the had wife buried in a shallow grave; in the back yard. I know who I "won't" ask to help me bury a dead body! j/k..

He got really sick.

Only because I found his grave robbing adventures did we put the pieces together.

The salmon poisoning is actually a parasite, a worm called a fluke. Salmoniods returning to fresh water get them almost immediately. Trout being residents, consistently have them.

The treatment is two fold, one to mitigate the bacterial toxins from the flukes waste products. We used Rimfampin, which is similar to; if not the same compounds used for TB.

The second aspect of the treatment is for the fluke/ nematode itself.

Because this "illness" is parasitic/ bacterial, it can be contracted more than once.

So thoroughly cooked fish (salmoniods) would be safe. I never give my dogs any fish, more so because of the bones; same reason I don't give them bird scraps.
 
Last edited:
TTFishon
OnTheFly said:
A guy told me once that his dog got salmon poisoning for eating dead salmon on the bank. It almost killed his dog. A vetrinarian had to administer a shot for the dog to cure it. Once a dog is cured of salmon poisoning it will never get it again. Kind of like getting measles; once you get it you won't get it again. The same guy told me that when he gets another dog he'll most likely let it eat salmon again, get it cured, then be able to take the dog on fishing trips without worrying about it.

I've heard that before too.
 
silkiechicken
I can't say dogs or even chickens know best when it comes to food... chickens will eat Styrofoam... and the dogs will come up behind the chickens and eat their poop. :shock:
 
OnTheFly
FishFinger said:
OTF, that is not true. I know this first hand after my pup found a trout head the had wife buried in a shallow grave; in the back yard. I know who I "won't" ask to help me bury a dead body! j/k..

He got really sick.

Only because I found his grave robbing adventures did we put the pieces together.

The salmon poisoning is actually a parasite, a worm called a fluke. Salmoniods returning to fresh water get them almost immediately. Trout being residents, consistently have them.

The treatment is two fold, one to mitigate the bacterial toxins from the flukes waste products. We used Rimfampin, which is similar to; if not the same compounds used for TB.

The second aspect of the treatment is for the fluke/ nematode itself.

Because this "illness" is parasitic/ bacterial, it can be contracted more than once.

So thoroughly cooked fish (salmoniods) would be safe. I never give my dogs any fish, more so because of the bones; same reason I don't give them bird scraps.

Disregard what I said earlier, FishFinger's right. Thanks for the clairification Dan:) The guy that informed me was dead certain he was telling the truth. His experience with his dog was actual salmon poisoning but apparently got the facts mixed up about the desease.Salmon Poisoning in Dogs
 
Thuggin4Life
Ok so when I eat it its ok to sneak a piece to the dog. Thanks guys I make sure she doesn't eat and raw fish and try to not let her get any fish blood or slime while fishing with her in the boat.
 
strawberry shortcake
My dogs love water and play in the irrigation ditches surrounding the ranch. So I leave them home when I go to the river. Even when the river goes down, it is filled with snags and powerful underwater currents that slide under those snags. I also don't feed my dogs fish. Not even cooked, and I don't throw the guts/head away where the dogs can find it.
 
Top Bottom