Middle Rogue fall kings

E
eat, sleep, fish
They're Here!....

I've been hearing rumors of fish rolling down in the canyon, but hadn't seen any confirmed catches. That is until today...

image01.jpg

This was sitting in my email this afternoon, and was caught by guide Rob Yuen down below Grants Pass. This high water we've got definitely made the fish shoot upriver.

It throws a wrench in my plans for tomorrow, and now I've got to decide whether to hit the middle river for some early fall kings or the upper for summer steelhead. Oh the dilemma....

R
RunWithSasquatch
thats exciting!

troutdude
troutdude
Great news...and...

gotta LOVE that T-Shirt!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

E
eat, sleep, fish
troutdude said:
Great news...and...

gotta LOVE that T-Shirt!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought the shirt fit quite well too :lol:

S
skunk
Is it really that time again??? Dang, this 'summer' has flown by.

R
rippin fish lips
skunk said:

yah! itz crazy!!!

R
RunWithSasquatch
skunk said:

Gotta fish fast, its hard to do it all! To think ive got to mix deer/elk/fall salmon/fall bear into the next few months:pray:

S
Southern Oregon Drifter
I have heard of a few others, but lack of exposure helps keep the pressure light :)

E
eat, sleep, fish
Southern Oregon Drifter said:
I have heard of a few others, but lack of exposure helps keep the pressure light :)

Even with exposure the crowds won't show up tell late August, as that's just what they're used to.

S
SantiamDrifter
Any chance thats a springer? I would think such an early fall nook would be in better shape.

troutdude
troutdude
SantiamDrifter said:
Any chance thats a springer? I would think such an early fall nook would be in better shape.

I was wondering about that too. The sea run cutts are just barely beginning to stage in the bays and tidewaters. So, wouldn't the Fall Nooks still be out at sea?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Theres a hand full of coastal rivers that have early strains of fall chinook, the rogue being one of them.

E
eat, sleep, fish
I hit the middle Rogue this morning with my pops to try and find an early fish, but we ended up only seeing a couple fish roll.

SantiamDrifter said:

It's kind of hard to tell with the photo since the fish is in the shade. Normally this time of year all the springers are very bronze, so I would have to say it's a fall fish.

E
eat, sleep, fish
RunWithSasquatch said:
Theres a hand full of coastal rivers that have early strains of fall chinook, the rogue being one of them.

Yeah that

Even in low water years I usually hook into my first fall fish in the middle river by the end of the first week of August.

S
SantiamDrifter
eat said:
It's kind of hard to tell with the photo since the fish is in the shade. Normally this time of year all the springers are very bronze, so I would have to say it's a fall fish.

It looks bronze to me, but its all about the picture quality. I know guys who are hooking into some fallies right now. But they are not in the river, not even in the bay. All those fish have been chrome. What were the sexual organs like, mature?

E
eat, sleep, fish
SantiamDrifter said:
It looks bronze to me, but its all about the picture quality. I know guys who are hooking into some fallies right now. But they are not in the river, not even in the bay. All those fish have been chrome. What were the sexual organs like, mature?

It definitely doesn't look fresh from the ocean, but it's also not a boot like the all the springers getting caught. I was just sent the picture so I'm not sure on the eggs. She doesn't look too plump, but even then the fall fish will look like the springers since they all spawn close to the same time.

F
Fish-N-Chips
Nice Fall specimen. I have that shirt in a short sleeve:D, but it's maroon. I had the pleasure of meeting the artist Ray Troll when I lived in Alaska. Can't wait for Buoy 10 in 2 weeks:shock:

M
Mad dog
SantiamDrifter said:

The Rogue as well as the Umpqua do not have well defined spring and fall runs, they overlap and the fall fish tend to be primarily wild fish. Pretty much there are Chinook entering these 2 rivers from March to November. The locals on the Umpqua call them summer Chinook? One thing is for sure....almost any given year fall Chinook are thick in the middle Rogue by the 1st week of September....I would guess that fish to be an early fall fish.