Medium or medium heavy?

B
Browning
Bimart has all rods for 20% off this week. I'd been thinking about one of the Berkley Air IM8's for awhile. This will be mostly used for fall & winter steelies. Which route should I go, medium or MH?

A
alseaalumaweld
i want a ligth action myself

M
meluvtrout
Medium Light

B
Browning
Medium Light

I already have a medium light. Dont tell me I dont need another rod! I figured with higher, faster waters, and bigger fish a stiffer rod would be needed? Enlighten me?!

Last edited:
A
alseaalumaweld
didn't know u could have to many. i drift with 6 in my boat id like to get a cople more

M
meluvtrout
I already have a medium light. Dont tell me I dont need another rod! I figured with higher, faster waters, and bigger fish a stiffer rod would be needed? Enlighten me?!
I was fishing with a medium Lami G1307 and couldn't really tell soft bites on that rod. When I tried a friend of mine's Certified Pro 96JC I realized how many potential bites I were missing so I went out and bought one. Then I bought the spinning rod for the same model 96JS and couldn't be happier! Both rods are rated 6-15 and easily can take a 20lb+ fish. They say medium on them, but if you compare to Bimart IM8s they are medium light.

B
Bob Balcombe
What style of fishing, drift, back bouncing, bonedogleing, plunking Bobber and Jig? Do you use Plugs, Spinners,Bait, do you want a sensative rod?

B
Browning
What style of fishing, drift, back bouncing, bonedogleing, plunking Bobber and Jig? Do you use Plugs, Spinners,Bait, do you want a sensative rod?

It would be used primarily for bait/drift fishing from the bank.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Medium would be good for a bigger bait rod. I like a medium rod for roe under a float in higher winter conditions! Good luck.

B
Bob Balcombe
Not knowing river conditions you would fishing, in my opinion. I would use 2 rods both would be 9 Ft. one would be a light / medium and the other would be a medium/heavy both should have a fast tip. I fish 4 rivers here in W. Washington. That can change almost over night (I build my own custom rods 30 plus) So no 2 of my rods have the same guides or guide spacing. Lamiglas and St Croix both have excellent rods. If it were me I would give Josh at call at Lamiglas. Josh is their blank designer, He is a fantastic Steelheader and river Salmon fisherman. He may have a better suggestion for you, besides if you have a problem he is closer to you. I never trust a salesman, most of them do not know how a blank is constructed or the difference in materials used

Last edited:
B
Browning
Well, I couldn't decide between the Berkley Air IM8 8-12 or the Lami Rogue River Special 10-25. So I bought them both I believe I'm set :lol: Kinda weird on the Lami. It had the "Handcrafted in Woodland, Wa" on it. I had heard the RR specials were Chinese rods. I called Lami and was told they had some "Labor issues in China" and did a few runs of these rods here in the USA. She added it had the limited lifetime warranty. I think I did ok getting both rods for $135..

B
Bob Balcombe
To know if your Lamiglas rods are made in China, the warrenty cards will be in PINK

B
Browning
And there's a sticker on the butt that says "Made in China" :lol:

B
Bob Balcombe
Stickers get unstuck:dance:

B
Browning
C
colbypearson
They do for me if they say made in China! Thanks Bob, thats good info to have on the card colors

what length and action did you end up getting spinning or casting? i was actually looking at a lamiglas salmon rod for swimbaits at bi-mart hahahah

Y
youngbuck307
I use to use a IM8 8-14 9'6 and thought it was a good drift rod then i picked up a cheap 4-8 10ft rod and was able to pick up a lot more bits... landed a 18lb steel on it too....lighter rods do just fine when there over 8'6 i think.