McKenzie and Willamette River drifts

T
TheBigFoote
Hello everyone, looking for a little advice on these two rivers. I'm located in Springfield and just moved into the area a couple months ago. I have a little experience floating rivers but i'm not 100% confident. I'm looking for some good stretches that will be hard to get into trouble on. I'm in a 10' skykomish sunrise toon.

jamisonace
jamisonace
What are you fishing for?

Mckenzie trout....anything below Hendricks bridge shouldn't pose much difficulty and anything below Hayden bridge is easy.

Willamette trout and steelhead....jasper to d street is easy. Dexter all the way down isn't hard by any means but there are a couple bigger Rapid but it gives you better salmon options.

Let me know more specifics and I can help more.

T
TheBigFoote
jamisonace said:
What are you fishing for?

Mckenzie trout....anything below Hendricks bridge shouldn't pose much difficulty and anything below Hayden bridge is easy.

Willamette trout and steelhead....jasper to d street is easy. Dexter all the way down isn't hard by any means but there are a couple bigger Rapid but it gives you better salmon options.

Let me know more specifics and I can help more.

I love it all, I come from Washington and the area I was in didn't have much steelhead. I love to chase trout and salmon. I guess really im in the mood to try to chase some of those springers i'm hearing about on the willamette.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I don't know about techniques from a pontoon but if you want salmon you'll want to fish between leaburg dam and the golf course on the Mckenzie or Dexter dam and Clearwater park on the Willamette. Both of thos stretches are the technical water of each river.

Also:

You should become familiar with the Hayden Bridge to Harvest Lane float for trout. It's very productive for how short it is.

T
TheBigFoote
jamisonace said:
I don't know about techniques from a pontoon but if you want salmon you'll want to fish between leaburg dam and the golf course on the Mckenzie or Dexter dam and Clearwater park on the Willamette. Both of thos stretches are the technical water of each river.

Also:

You should become familiar with the Hayden Bridge to Harvest Lane float for trout. It's very productive for how short it is.

Honestly on a river its more about moving down the river and getting out to wade or trolling big slow water, you do most fishing standing in water unless its real slow. I have seen the water down from leaburg dam, I have also seen a dirft boat pinned on a rock in the middle of the river in front on the McKenzie cottages, definitely not comfortable in water like that. I got a picture of it, this was 2-3 weeks ago. Is the water from dexter to say the pengra boat launch this tough?

IMG_20160508_173702.jpg

T
TheBigFoote
Anyone with a pontoon boat want to hit a trip down the river? I'm in Springfield off the 126 and 52nd.

R
rippin fish lips
TheBigFoote said:
Honestly on a river its more about moving down the river and getting out to wade or trolling big slow water, you do most fishing standing in water unless its real slow. I have seen the water down from leaburg dam, I have also seen a dirft boat pinned on a rock in the middle of the river in front on the McKenzie cottages, definitely not comfortable in water like that. I got a picture of it, this was 2-3 weeks ago. Is the water from dexter to say the pengra boat launch this tough?

Sounds like you should target trout and bring a steelhead rod with you and hit the lower stretches of rivers then. Focus on hayden bridge down to Armitage. hayden to harvest is great trout water (remember the big fish have to swim through it too) Or you should be checking out jasper town to d street like Jamie said above. If you don't want big boulders and rock shelfs to avoid along with some swirl holes and rock walls, the lower sectios with bigger water and more flat water will be your friend.

T
TheBigFoote
rippin fish lips said:
Sounds like you should target trout and bring a steelhead rod with you and hit the lower stretches of rivers then. Focus on hayden bridge down to Armitage. hayden to harvest is great trout water (remember the big fish have to swim through it too) Or you should be checking out jasper town to d street like Jamie said above. If you don't want big boulders and rock shelfs to avoid along with some swirl holes and rock walls, the lower sectios with bigger water and more flat water will be your friend.

I mean I have been rowing since I was a kid, i'm confident I can control the boat. When i'm reading about the class of a river, it mentions the run from dexter dam is class II, "Straightforward rapids with wide, clear channels which are evident without scouting. Occasional maneuvering may be required, but rocks and medium-sized waves are easily missed by trained paddlers. Swimmers are seldom injured and group assistance, while helpful, is seldom needed. Rapids that are at the upper end of this difficulty range are designated “Class II+”.". Is this accurate? Do the areas were speaking of just look more intimidating than they are? Everything I have floated was wide and slow with small rapids, how the hell do people get started?

2northforkoutfitters
I have floated every section of both the Mckenzie and willy many a times. You sound like you are a little concerned about what" might be around the next corner" that's a good thing. I have a rule that I don't row a new section of water until I see it first. This does two things tells you " I can run this" and you'll have a much more enjoyable trip or " this is over my head I need more time on the sticks" and you get to live another day. You can get a hold of me before any of you trips and I can help walk you down the runs your thinking about doing. As for how does a new guy get started very cautionly these rivers have no conscious and will eat your boat at there first opportunity.

Ps there are plenty of fish around just don't tell anyone ??

Reactions: Troutski
jamisonace
jamisonace
Take the advice of @rippin fish lips . Get your confidence level up and then move upstream.

T
TheBigFoote
jamisonace said:
Take the advice of @rippin fish lips . Get your confidence level up and then move upstream.

Ill take the advice, I sure don't want to end up like the photo. Thanks for all the advice you gave I really appreciate your time.

T
TheBigFoote
2northforkoutfitters said:
I have floated every section of both the Mckenzie and willy many a times. You sound like you are a little concerned about what" might be around the next corner" that's a good thing. I have a rule that I don't row a new section of water until I see it first. This does two things tells you " I can run this" and you'll have a much more enjoyable trip or " this is over my head I need more time on the sticks" and you get to live another day. You can get a hold of me before any of you trips and I can help walk you down the runs your thinking about doing. As for how does a new guy get started very cautionly these rivers have no conscious and will eat your boat at there first opportunity.

Ps there are plenty of fish around just don't tell anyone

Thank you so much, ill take you up on that offer. I'm going to start with the hayden bridge float sometime this week, see how that goes and ill send you a message about what I plan on doing next for some advice.

R
rippin fish lips
Sounds like you could do any float here, although there is some technical parts and splits around that you have to know which one to go on when you get more up river on our streams. If you been rowing since your a kid, you could probs do ant of our floats. Because of the fact its a new river to you, your doing the right thing to figure out what your in store for. thjere is quite a few pull offs where you can scout your floats and the hazards that come with it.

And being a little intimidated on our rivers is nothing horrible. These two streams are not nice in any way except, the fishing can e great and the scenery is always amazing (in town that can change a bit!) haha. Biggest thing to remember, pull out and scout if you have to. Catch a ride or two with that northforkoutfitters guy too. best way to do it. Hell I bet he puts you on a fish while doing so