Mag Lip/Kwikfish hook replacement

Grant22
Grant22
So I was thinking about how to configure the hooks on my mag lips and Kwikfish, I haven't really done much fishing with them before but thought i'd give them a try this fall for nooks and coho. Also what size do you guy like? I did a quick internet search which revealed people are mostly using 3.0-4.5 for the mag lips and k9-k11 for the kwikfish. I'm a bank fisherman so plunking and cast n' retrieve is how i'll be fishing them. (Hence the smaller sizes).

Diehard
Diehard
3.0 I have used successfully on steelhead with the factory hook tipped with a chunk of prawn on front hook. 4.5 size I have used successfully on springers changed out hooks on the 4.5 to a size larger then factory owner hook. use a wrap of mackerel or tuna on the underside of the plug the only mods I have seen done is on the 3.0 maglip you remove factory hooks add a p line bead chain swivel and split wring to hook a couple siwash hooks in place of the treble good luck

Grant22
Grant22
Diehard said:
3.0 I have used successfully on steelhead with the factory hook tipped with a chunk of prawn on front hook. 4.5 size I have used successfully on springers changed out hooks on the 4.5 to a size larger then factory owner hook. use a wrap of mackerel or tuna on the underside of the plug the only mods I have seen done is on the 3.0 maglip you remove factory hooks add a p line bead chain swivel and split wring to hook a couple siwash hooks in place of the treble good luck
Thanks, much appreciated

D
DrTheopolis
I've done pretty well with the factory hooks on Maglip 3.5 and 4.5. Never saw much reason to swap them. A buddy runs a couple with single hooks, and I can't say I've noticed much difference.

jamisonace
jamisonace
DrTheopolis said:
I've done pretty well with the factory hooks on Maglip 3.5 and 4.5. Never saw much reason to swap them. A buddy runs a couple with single hooks, and I can't say I've noticed much difference.
Agreed. They fish great out of the box. No need to modify. Wrap with your favorite protein and fish.

D
DrTheopolis
jamisonace said:
No need to modify. Wrap with your favorite protein and fish.
And while you're messing with that, I'll put a drop of scent on the belly of the plug, get the line in the water, and hopefully don't interrupt you too badly when I tell you to grab the net.

jamisonace
jamisonace
LOL

jamisonace
jamisonace
On a serious note though. Wrapped plugs outfish commercial scent at least 5 to 1.

D
DrTheopolis
jamisonace said:
On a serious note though. Wrapped plugs outfish commercial scent at least 5 to 1.
Not in my experience... which has been sadly lacking of late.

jamisonace
jamisonace
DrTheopolis said:
Not in my experience... which has been sadly lacking of late.
I did start putting anise/bloody tuna under my wrap and it may have made a difference....hard to say. I'm back to straight wrap now. Certainly not a magic ticket but I can tell you this with confidence: Years ago when I started salmon fishing I would run plugs straight out of the box without scent. My mentor taught me his wrap of choice and it was a total game changer. I bet the number of bites I got increased by 500%.

D
DrTheopolis
I like a nice blob of Smelly Jelly on the eye of the belly hook. Anise/crawfish seems to be a winner.