Looking for constructive criticism

jamisonace
jamisonace
I built this website a year or so ago for a friend. I'm not a website builder by any means but I've been selling various internet marketing products to small businesses in Oregon since '06. I understand SEO and content creation in general but I'm curious if fishermen see anything that I've done here that is a turn off or if you don't see something you would like to see before you book a guide.

I'm not looking for an attaboy but posting his site link for SEO purposes might be an ulterior motive. :)

So check it out and let me know if you think I should change or add anything. Any help is appreciated.

www.fishingwithferris.com

Reactions: Raincatcher
troutdude
troutdude
Great site IMO @jamisonace. I just spent a few minutes poking around and clicked on various links. And everything worked fine—in terms of navigating the site. (See what I did there…LOL)

Not sure how pics of you, and your wee ones, got attached though……… 😂

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
troutdude said:
Great site IMO @jamisonace. I just spent a few minutes poking around and clicked on various links. And everything worked fine—in terms of navigating the site. (See what I did there…LOL)

Not sure how pics of you, and your wee ones, got attached though……… 😂
my boat is in there a few times too. LOL I needed pics and happened to have a few thousand to choose from on my phone.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Getting around on the site was easy. Not related to SEO, but more of a sales issue. Get the fishing information to the protentional client first. Move the "Your Safety is My Priority" below the two-fishing information columns. Get folks thing about fishing first then reassure them it is a safe endeavor. Just my opinion, but the safety piece initially distracted from what the web site is selling. Put the focus on fishing first.

That my constructive criticism. ;)

Reactions: jamisonace and Snopro
troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace said:
my boat is in there a few times too. LOL I needed pics and happened to have a few thousand to choose from on my phone.
Go figure. :cool: LOL

Irishrover said:
Getting around on the site was easy. Not related to SEO, but more of a sales issue. Get the fishing information to the protentional client first. Move the "Your Safety is My Priority" below the two-fishing information columns. Get folks thing about fishing first then reassure them it is a safe endeavor. Just my opinion, but the safety piece initially distracted from what the web site is selling. Put the focus on fishing first.

Good idea Lonn

S
Snopro
Had to look up SEO.😁

Gave it a quick skim. Looks good overall. Agree on moving the safety stuff to lower priority. The reviews are stellar, maybe swap locations with the safety blurb? Fish out of water shots might be a turn off to keep fish wet prospective clients. Keep the blog up to date. Nothing new since 8/21 makes the site seem dusty.

Reactions: jamisonace and troutdude
jamisonace
jamisonace
Irishrover said:

I agree...I'll see if I can move that around. (I'm still new to the formatting)

jamisonace
jamisonace
Irishrover said:

I made the change. I think it was a really good idea. Thank you.

Reactions: troutdude
Irishrover
Irishrover
You're welcome. Just checked the site out. Looks great and makes me miss my drift boat!

hobster
hobster
As someone who knows absolutely nothing about computers it looks great. Navigation is easy, it’s well done. I do, however, agree with Snopro about keeping the fish wet. Also that’s a beautiful redside when you go to the website but maybe he should be holding a steelie or salmon to make it more impressive

jamisonace
jamisonace
Snopro said:
Had to look up SEO.😁

Gave it a quick skim. Looks good overall. Agree on moving the safety stuff to lower priority. The reviews are stellar, maybe swap locations with the safety blurb? Fish out of water shots might be a turn off to keep fish wet prospective clients. Keep the blog up to date. Nothing new since 8/21 makes the site seem dusty.
You're right about the blog. We tried it once but I'll probably remove it. He'll never blog and it's too much work for me to do it for him.

troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace said:
You're right about the blog. We tried it once but I'll probably remove it. He'll never blog and it's too much work for me to do it for him.
Maybe you could change it to something like "recent reports". Or maybe "pics from recent outings". But then, again, your client would have to keep it updated. As we know stale data/pics is--shall we say--less than enticing.

troutdude
troutdude
@jamisonace how about adding a hotlink/button, which says something like "Book your trip now"?

jamisonace
jamisonace
troutdude said:
@jamisonace how about adding a hotlink/button, which says something like "Book your trip now"?
Do you think it should link to the contact page? He only books by phone or email.

jamisonace
jamisonace
troutdude said:
Maybe you could change it to something like "recent reports". Or maybe "pics from recent outings". But then, again, your client would have to keep it updated. As we know stale data/pics is--shall we say--less than enticing.
It for sure wouldn't be updated. Probably needs to go away. It would help optimization immensely if he would but it's not going to happen. To your point I tell my clients that a website is never finished, only abandoned. Meaning it needs to be updated on a regular basis.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace said:
Do you think it should link to the contact page? He only books by phone or email.
Maybe link it directly to his email address?

S
Steve-o
This may sound picky: I think you want a capital “K” in “McKenzie” throughout.

Reactions: Snopro and jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Steve-o said:
Thank you for that. I never thought about the K.

Turns out I did a search for McKenzie and it is always capitalized everywhere else.

troutdude
troutdude
Steve-o said:
Good eye!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I think I made all the changes except the photos of fish in hand. Photos are tricky because they don't all format well or look good. I'll keep that suggestion in mind though. Appreciate all the comments.

Reactions: Irishrover and troutdude