D
durantmatt

I hear ya

T
Thuggin4Life
have to agree with TT on this one.

J
JoshuaRainey
I just wanted to mention that the regulations state that you can fish from the mouth of Little Fall Creek to 200 feet below the fish ladder. I think that means its not ok to fish above the ladder.

Does anybody know if there are winter steelhead in here, and if so, what kind of numbers are we talking? Been fishing Lake Creek and NF Alsea a bit but want to try LFC since its so much closer. Let me know if you have any info?

J
JoshuaRainey
And, is the gate open on weekends year round?

Last edited:
S
specreck
you can get to the other side of the fish ladder if you have GPS or good knowing of the back forest roads. If you follow big fall creek above the lake into the fall creek area near where the burn was there is a national forest road that will take you over the mountain and spit you out just above the ladder, absolutely breathtaking up there, don;t know if it's legal to fish.

O
Outdrsmn
Actually you use to get in that way but last time i was up there they put a gate on it.

S
specreck
yeah there is that gate but it gets you high up there, neat area, but sure you can't fish it

Y
yellowjacket
200 feet downstream

200 feet downstream

Very cool fish ladder, some very interesting angling opportunities just above the ladder. Of course that is if you like Steelhead and Chinook...

Chuck

Shame on you Chuck, of all people I'd have thought you'd know the 200 feet below the ladder end of legal angling rule. General info, Weyerhauser property, gate on right called Boyscout, boyscout lease on that segment expired last year. Gate on pavement is LFC mainline, hike bike after 5pm or weekends. Gate open during hunting season with red tag on pin. Call Weyco rec info line 1-888-741-5403 then hit 3 for springfield area. Access gets closed during fire season in summer. Fish ladder is 7.5 miles past mainline gate just past the 19 mi. mark about a mile beyond the 9000 road.
Spoke with Eric Moberly ODFW biologist for the area & seems there are plans to get a chinook run established above the fish ladder as currently the small number nooks that dig redds & spawn in the creek are mainly in the first few miles. Study is still in progress regarding water temps, flow etc so lets keep our fingers crossed & hopefully get increased numbers of fish moving up the middle fork. Problems do occur with unknowing people damming up during summer months creating impassable obstacles during the low water late summer when the nooks move from their holding pools in the Willy & Big Fall Creek into the smaller spawning water tributaries. I've broken open a few on more than one occasion. See attached pics of "dam" I opened up every year the last few years in the boyscout hole. Salmon jump falls but don't pole vault walls. Regular problems like this will stop STEP from implementing stocking programs. I may not have gotten to this one early enough in 2010 spawn as I didn't see any active spawning & only found 3 carcasses above this point See the attached pics. In 2009 I found 3 dams between Renegade Rd & the boyscout hole that I opened up & I did see upstream spawning. I Don't recommend going in during working hours for 2 reasons, 1 expect gate to get locked at any time then you have to call 541-746-2511 to report yourself trespassing & get their watchman to come out & unlock the gate, & 2 if workers see you & they are able to radio in or get a phone signal you may just have a meet & greet with a Lane County Sheriff. I think Chuck can give you details on that experience shock: !! Creek seems to be a spawning creek, as I have looked long & hard during the Main June/July nook & Steelie runs & never have seen activity very far from either Fall Creek or Dexter. Any activity is late summer into winter & the fish are black by then & are looking to spawn. Any more info will require waterboarding & advanced interrogation techniques. Tight lines!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eugene1
brandon4455
i see people make those "dams" all the time. i go down to my favorite creek and walk a few miles of river removing them late every summer so the coho can move upriver.. people are not educated aabout that stuff and dont know any better when they are makin these little "dams"

Last edited:
F
fish man sanders
i have been to the fish ladder twice and there are a ton of trout and steelies there but the ladder is all fenced over and you would have to fish below the ladder or els i think you could get a ticket for fishing in a ladder. but who knows

Y
yellowjacket
Oregon Statutes - Game Laws & Penalties

Oregon Statutes - Game Laws & Penalties

i have been to the fish ladder twice and there are a ton of trout and steelies there but the ladder is all fenced over and you would have to fish below the ladder or els i think you could get a ticket for fishing in a ladder. but who knows

I've spent many, many days fishing LFC and always abide by the regs re: the "200 ft. Rule". Fishing is allowed upstream of the Ladder, but 'nooks & steelies are downstream only. One fine spring day during weekend only access hike or bike restriction, not during a hunting access period, I was walking back out to the road & 2 OSP Game Officers were patrolling the creek { Martin Maher & Josh (? - usu. see on the 'Slaw)}. Had a pleasant visit with them, asked for their hot spots to fish low pressure areas & tips, got a couple. I digress.
I looked up the statutes & penalties that apply to this (all) . Long but here they are:

496.992. (1) Except as otherwise provided by this section or other

law, a violation of any provision of the wildlife laws, or any rule

adopted pursuant to the wildlife laws, is a Class A misdemeanor if

the offense is committed with a culpable mental state.

161.085 Definitions with respect to culpability. As used in chapter

743, Oregon Laws 1971, and ORS 166.635, unless the context

requires otherwise:

(1) “Act” means a bodily movement.

(2) “Voluntary act” means a bodily movement performed

consciously and includes the conscious possession or control of

property.

(3) “Omission” means a failure to perform an act the

performance of which is required by law.

(4) “Conduct” means an act or omission and its accompanying

mental state.

(5) “To act” means either to perform an act or to omit to

perform an act.

(6) “Culpable mental state” means intentionally, knowingly,

recklessly or with criminal negligence as these terms are defined in

subsections (7), (8), (9) and (10) of this section.

(7) “Intentionally” or “with intent,” when used with respect to a

result or to conduct described by a statute defining an offense,

means that a person acts with a conscious objective to cause the

result or to engage in the conduct so described.

(8) “Knowingly” or “with knowledge,” when used with respect to

conduct or to a circumstance described by a statute defining an

offense, means that a person acts with an awareness that the

conduct of the person is of a nature so described or that a

circumstance so described exists.

(9) “Recklessly,” when used with respect to a result or to a

circumstance described by a statute defining an offense, means that

a person is aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and

unjustifiable risk that the result will occur or that the circumstance

exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that disregard

thereof constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that

a reasonable person would observe in the situation.

(10) “Criminal negligence” or “criminally negligent,” when used

with respect to a result or to a circumstance described by a statute

defining an offense, means that a person fails to be aware of a

substantial and unjustifiable risk that the result will occur or that

the circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree

that the failure to be aware of it constitutes a gross deviation from

the standard of care that a reasonable person would observe in the

situation. [1971 c.743 §7; 1973 c.139 §2]

161.615 Prison terms for misdemeanors. Sentences for

misdemeanors shall be for a definite term. The court shall fix the

term of imprisonment within the following maximum limitations:

(1) For a Class A misdemeanor, 1 year.

(2) For a Class B misdemeanor, 6 months.

(3) For a Class C misdemeanor, 30 days.

(4) For an unclassified misdemeanor, as provided in the statute

defining the crime. [1971 c.743 §75]

161.635 Fines for misdemeanors. (1) A sentence to pay a fine for a

misdemeanor shall be a sentence to pay an amount, fixed by the

court, not exceeding:

(a) $6,250 for a Class A misdemeanor.

(b) $2,500 for a Class B misdemeanor.

(c) $1,250 for a Class C misdemeanor.
:naughty::shock::naughty::shock::naughty::shock::n aughty:​

So you potentially get fined, imprisonment, and definitely would have your hunting/fishing privileges revoked for a period of years. A recent conversation I had at the "Boy Scout " hole with a Dexter Dam "regular" was where he had witnessed a poacher get ticketed by OSP Game Officer for clipping the fin off a wild 'nook to the tune of $4000.00 & 10 yrs revocation of privileges. OSP eye-witnessed with binoculars.

I've visited the fish ladder area dozens of times over the last few years (downstream) and have never had the excitement of seeing/catching tons of fish in the general area. Post a couple pics of C&R fish from 2009 that were the exceptions not the rule for the ladder area. Cutty late Nov. big 'bow mid-May. Also the avatar pic of me is at LFC below the Weyerhauser area. Troutski remembers that fish, eh Chuck! :lol:

Stay Safe & Tight Lines

Last edited by a moderator:
E
eugene1
Pretty cool info, yellowjacket!

I know Fall Creek and tribs are one of the few (only??) spots left for native Middle Fork Springers to spawn in. They should be protected.

Thanks,