Lingzilla

daehleets
Good day on the rocks. Heres some pics of LINGZILLA and a couple of his buddys. Yesterday evening broke off 5 lings with 20# braided. Returned this mornin with 80# braided. not a one snaped me this time:D PICT0522.jpgPICT0531.jpgPICT0530.jpgPICT0540.jpgPICT0523.jpgPICT0536.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Drew9870
DubberPhisher
What part of the coast did you get this fish, if you dont mind my asking....which rocks? Snapping braids...man thats rad...glad you got the 80#. Thanks for the share...enjoy the meal.
 
Last edited:
daehleets
depoe bay was the location, and ya i do luv to eat these bucket heads almost as much as a fresh summer run steelie, almost. the perch pic in your avatar is that recent?.
DubberPhisher said:
:shock:

What part of the coast did you get this fish, if you dont mind my asking....which rocks? Snapping braids...man thats rad...glad you got the 80#. Thanks for the share...enjoy the meal.
 
DubberPhisher
buckethead beauties

buckethead beauties

daehleets said:
depoe bay was the location, and ya i do luv to eat these bucket heads almost as much as a fresh summer run steelie, almost. the perch pic in your avatar is that recent?.

Thanks for the info...I dont make it down that far South...but If I get to, Id love to try out Depoe Bay. I caught this Perch, last 4th of July off of the south jetty outside of Tillamook bay...you can drive to the north side of the Jetty, but the South side is a long walk or bike ride. I ended up with 3 perch, 2 Lings (not keeper size), and one keeper Greenling. I was getting a hit on every cast with sand shrimp. Nothing compated to your Zillas though :D
 
daehleets
Gotcha, was wishin you were hookin some early perch. Be nice to fry up a ling with a few perch on the side!
DubberPhisher said:
Thanks for the info...I dont make it down that far South...but If I get to, Id love to try out Depoe Bay. I caught this Perch, last 4th of July off of the south jetty outside of Tillamook bay...you can drive to the north side of the Jetty, but the South side is a long walk or bike ride. I ended up with 3 perch, 2 Lings (not keeper size), and one keeper Greenling. I was getting a hit on every cast with sand shrimp. Nothing compated to your Zillas though :D
 
Drew9870
JEEEEEEEZ!, that is a monster Ling for being caught on the bank, Depoe Bay is one of my favorite places, I think we fish the same rock formation ;).

20lb braid is crazy thin line to be using for Lings, 80lb sounds a lot better. Braid is definitely way better for bank fishing because you do some distance casting from the bank (especially Depoe) and Mono just gives way too much stretch to really know what your jig is doing in the water. I bumped my bait rod up to 50lb mono with a Penn reel to crank them up the cliffs, you can do just as good with a three way bait rig if you set it right and move it once in awhile, I bet you could slaughter Greenling, Perch, and Bass if you did your cured bait on the three way setup.

Maybe I'll run into you out there sometime. Still can't believe the size of that thing, I have to assume that is a female.

My buddies have been getting Striped Perch on the right side of Yaquina South Jetty when you walk out just past the ''dunes'', just last week, nothing great big or anything.
 
Last edited:
skunk
Dang, with a mouth like that nothings safe! Nice fish.
 
daehleets
Havent tried the bait on greenling and such yet. luv fightin the bigger fellas. next trip out i think i will pack along a smaller rod just to see how they take to the bait. LINGZILLA was a 37 inch female. Gunna try to hit the lings as much as i can while the fishins hot, so ya i might see you out rock hoppin
Drew9870 said:
JEEEEEEEZ!, that is a monster Ling for being caught on the bank, Depoe Bay is one of my favorite places, I think we fish the same rock formation ;).

20lb braid is crazy thin line to be using for Lings, 80lb sounds a lot better. Braid is definitely way better for bank fishing because you do some distance casting from the bank (especially Depoe) and Mono just gives way too much stretch to really know what your jig is doing in the water. I bumped my bait rod up to 50lb mono with a Penn reel to crank them up the cliffs, you can do just as good with a three way bait rig if you set it right and move it once in awhile, I bet you could slaughter Greenling, Perch, and Bass if you did your cured bait on the three way setup.

Maybe I'll run into you out there sometime. Still can't believe the size of that thing, I have to assume that is a female.

My buddies have been getting Striped Perch on the right side of Yaquina South Jetty when you walk out just past the ''dunes'', just last week, nothing great big or anything.
 
nwkiller
:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

ahhh....bjgfoifhsfbvkhfibhkfdbj...drool, drool, drool..edguigwefhureuuiregfjrf :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:
 
daehleets
Sounds like me when i first laid eyes on the LINGZILLA, with maybe a few more added in , lol
nwkiller said:
:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

ahhh....bjgfoifhsfbvkhfibhkfdbj...drool, drool, drool..edguigwefhureuuiregfjrf :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:
 
nwkiller
way to go man. freakishly awesome fish!!!!
 
daehleets
Thanks nwkiller. gotta luv the power of those big lings when they first smack the bait!
nwkiller said:
way to go man. freakishly awesome fish!!!!
 
plunkme
If you dont mind me asking where in depoe bay? If you dont want to share its ok. i usually fish at boiler bay and left side(looking at the ocean) of the boat channel.
 
CoastieFlo
what is that cured octopi that you used????
caught many a fish at Depoe off the rocks when I used to live in Corvallis......especially lots of perch and greenlings out of the little channel in the rocks just in front of the 101 parking spots.
 
daehleets
Bait is octopi that i have been trying out all kinds of scent, flavors, colors etc on to see what they like gobbling up the best and might add it to the line up of baits i have to offer threw my bait biz. You do much rock fishin down florence way?
CoastieFlo said:
what is that cured octopi that you used????
caught many a fish at Depoe off the rocks when I used to live in Corvallis......especially lots of perch and greenlings out of the little channel in the rocks just in front of the 101 parking spots.
 
CoastieFlo
wow thats interesting. seen many a ling and rockfish in general barf up octopus when landed.....thats a great idea for a bait. When its nice weather and safe, yes do a bit of it down here :)
 
Sasquatch
these are my favorite species to catch(and to fish for).the fight they give is amazing.
good eatin too!
 
Top Bottom