Law on Retaining Natives

B
Bassleg
RunWithSasquatch said:
For the most part, if its legal, its dead. I enjoy having fish in the freezer.

+1 on that + Home made smoked fish is always nice!

C
crusty old fisherman
why not catch them the commercials catch and kill them if the river is open its because ODFW believes the run to be strong enough to support a fisherie.

I myself think playing catch and release is cruel and inhumane how would you like it of somone hooked you in the arse with a 3/0 hook and yanked?

my personal beliefe is that i wont fish for fish that can not be kept and killed dispatching a fish when it is landed is far more mercifull then releasing it to let its whole body ache from lactic acid build up

D
Drew9870
markasd said:
Take home what you want Drew - far as I can tell your the one got butt-hurt here. I at no point said not to kill em did I? I even pointed out the Siletz UNFORTUNATELY does not protect these fish, geee - maybe that means these are some that are still fair game.

If you were that unclear, you should have called ODFW before asking folks on the internet.

Don't get all tickled now..... ;)

I was wanting to know mainly if the regulations are as I read, the other thread it came up on just sparked the idea because I happened to be reading the regs when posting on that thread.

But hey, I won't ever be fishing the Siletz or Nehalem or even the Umpqua anytime in the near future as far as I know, so I have no harm on those runs. No problem releasing a Native if there are plenty of fish around at the time.

Brandon, lol, no worries.

M
Mad dog
crusty old fisherman said:
why not catch them the commercials catch and kill them if the river is open its because ODFW believes the run to be strong enough to support a fisherie.

I myself think playing catch and release is cruel and inhumane how would you like it of somone hooked you in the arse with a 3/0 hook and yanked?

my personal beliefe is that i wont fish for fish that can not be kept and killed dispatching a fish when it is landed is far more mercifull then releasing it to let its whole body ache from lactic acid build up

I personally saw 3 different fish this week that were gill hooked to the gullet with double 3/0 hook rigs that would not have survied had they been a wild fish that had to be released! Catch and release is fine under most circumstances if the water is cold and the fish are not gill hooked or roughed up.

K
Kevinb5688
Mad dog said:
I personally saw 3 different fish this week that were gill hooked to the gullet with double 3/0 hook rigs that would not have survied had they been a wild fish that had to be released! Catch and release is fine under most circumstances if the water is cold and the fish are not gill hooked or roughed up.
I can't stand those dual hook rigs, i tried it one day and it just made a mess of the fishes throat,gills,and eyes.
If you wait until your rod loads up before you set the hook you dont need 2 hooks. The fish will keep hitting until hooked. If you have less than 4 inches of seperation between your hooks it going to mess fish up!

M
Mad dog
Kevinb5688 said:
I can't stand those dual hook rigs, i tried it one day and it just made a mess of the fishes throat,gills,and eyes.
If you wait until your rod loads up before you set the hook you dont need 2 hooks. The fish will keep hitting until hooked. If you have less than 4 inches of seperation between your hooks it going to mess fish up!

Saw me some single hook rigs last week that went so far down the fishes throat they would have been dead had they lawfully needed to be released! If you are fishing springers correctly and have GOOD bait, you are going to see gill hooked fish regardless of the number of hooks. There are some baits that will not fish effectively with a single hook rig.

4Age 503
halibuthitman said:
why do you need to go home with something?

Cuz fish taste good thats why, and commercial/socially somehow people get this complex that its wrong to keep the fish you catch. It is a pleasure to eat the fish u fought. Remember it wasn't always a game,it wasn't always for sport and leisure. Its ok to yank em around by the lip for "fun" but someone throws a fit when ya take home dinner...?

B
bigsteel
4Age 503 said:
Cuz fish taste good thats why, and commercial/socially somehow people get this complex that its wrong to keep the fish you catch. It is a pleasure to eat the fish u fought. Remember it wasn't always a game,it wasn't always for sport and leisure. Its ok to yank em around by the lip for "fun" but someone throws a fit when ya take home dinner...?

it is wrong to keep a native fish in a river that has horrible returning numbers period.some people have the complex of i caught it so im gonna bonk it.

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
it is wrong to keep a native fish in a river that has horrible returning numbers period.some people have the complex of i caught it so im gonna bonk it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: