Late morning...

Troutski
Troutski
Got a late start today at Hills Creek, the water temp was a balmy 40 degrees at the ramp and 39 in the back. Started my morning trolling in Packard Bay and not a bite, nothing. The fish were pretty deep and spread out, so took off to one of my favorite areas and what a gift, five cast five fish...all native Rainbows...as you might imagine I was in heaven. Not a sole around and fish filling the screen and the rod bending - life is very good to me. Even got to chat with the OSP game warden and learned there is a very healthy population of Bob Cats in this drainage...another excuse to have a boat. Not one reported incident of a predator cat attacking an angler in a boat, now bank anglers this is whole other game. Just food for thought...and good reason to go out and purchase a boat...:cool:. Looks like the snow level will drop to 1000' tonight so the ramp will be a bit slick if anyone is planing a Monday trip. Tight lines...

Chuck

Irishrover
Irishrover
Sounds like you had a good day. Five for five is a good number what were you tossing out there to intice those cold water fish? That water sounds like it was only about 8 degrees away from being ice. Do you remember the story about former President Jimmy Carter being attacked by a wild rabbit while bass fishing in Georgia. He was in a boat, you just never know what's going to get you:lol:

Y
yellowjacket
Sunday was a good "catching " day

Sunday was a good "catching " day

Troutski said:
Got a late start today at Hills Creek, the water temp was a balmy 40 degrees at the ramp and 39 in the back. Started my morning trolling in Packard Bay and not a bite, nothing. The fish were pretty deep and spread out, so took off to one of my favorite areas and what a gift, five cast five fish...all native Rainbows...as you might imagine I was in heaven. Not a sole around and fish filling the screen and the rod bending - life is very good to me. Even got to chat with the OSP game warden and learned there is a very healthy population of Bob Cats in this drainage...another excuse to have a boat. Not one reported incident of a predator cat attacking an angler in a boat, now bank anglers this is whole other game. Just food for thought...and good reason to go out and purchase a boat...:cool:. Looks like the snow level will drop to 1000' tonight so the ramp will be a bit slick if anyone is planing a Monday trip. Tight lines...

Chuck
Full moon & the bite was on, I was catching on every cast too! The good life for sure.
Got my yard sale mtn. bike rigged up with fenders so I don't throw muddy water all over my rods in the attached holders! Also added a lower range to the gears for the long steep spots. Once I got done riding 7 1/2 miles & seeing how the snow & flooding had changed the holes along the way I decided to do some fishing. The last hole up the hill now has a big alder 1/2 across it so in ankle deep & toos in the night crawler & 1st cast C&R a nice cutt. About 15" but acted like a fish 2x bigger. Next cast into the knee deep riffle get a take, set the hook & see the 24" plus wild bow shake & spit the hook!! So do it again, get the take & set the hook hard, the fish takes off downstream like a rocket, gets past the alder trunks then turns back upstream and at lightning speed runs through the branches, turns back down, then back up, & weaves my line like a loom through the tree. This is about 6' away from where I'm standing in clear water so the fish looks at me makes a lunge & snaps my line then lays there 3-4 secs looking at me then floats back down to the main current again. So rig up again & catch & r a cutt every cast for the next 20-30 min then daylight told me that it was time to make the 7 1/2 mile return trip. Did see the big bow slide back into the same spot again. Some day not too far -I hope- maybe that boat will happen to me too. No bobcats but pretty sure I saw a cougar just as it was getting dark a week ago on the trial run for the fishing bike. In the middle of the road about 50 yds. It took off running down the road in front of me so it was a little hairy riding past the spot where where it vanished into the dark :pray:
Get the itch to catch some big brookies every time you post your outings at Hills Creek. Haven't caught a big one since leaving the NE 15 yrs back. Any Suggestions for somewhere a landlocked angler like me can get into some healthy sized brookies to hit the skillet??
Tight lines, hungry fish & a nice coleman heater close to your seat to you! ;)

Reactions: GraphiteZen
G
GrillMaster
Salt Creek

Salt Creek

I read in the new synopsis that Salt Creek and Salmon Creek are open year round starting this year (Up past Oakridge with plenty of bank access). Now I know that Salt Creek has Brookies in it, but not sure about Salmon; check the regs. and you decide. Hope this helps

GM

Troutski
Troutski
Nice to hear...

Nice to hear...

Right on yellowjacket, good to hear someone else is catching fish during this unusual season. I truly believe the fish want to eat it is just up to the angler to present the offering in a way that the fish can't say no. We should really make a date to hit my favorite lake when the ramp makes it in the water, around the middle of March. This lake is what everyone thinks of when they think of a pristine wilderness area should look like, old growth forest and giant fish, GIANT FISH.

Chuck

Y
yellowjacket
Gettin' Close

Gettin' Close

Troutski said:
Right on yellowjacket, good to hear someone else is catching fish during this unusual season. I truly believe the fish want to eat it is just up to the angler to present the offering in a way that the fish can't say no. We should really make a date to hit my favorite lake when the ramp makes it in the water, around the middle of March. This lake is what everyone thinks of when they think of a pristine wilderness area should look like, old growth forest and giant fish, GIANT FISH.

Chuck

Getting close to that time of march. Maybe the week before Bassin at Delta Ponds. Shoot me a message when the time is right. ' Preciate it Chuck- Thanks

Troutski
Troutski
Will do...

Will do...

yellowjacket said:
Getting close to that time of march. Maybe the week before Bassin at Delta Ponds. Shoot me a message when the time is right. ' Preciate it Chuck- Thanks

As soon as it is in the water I will let you know...

Chuck