Late August Suggestions for an out-of-stater

T
TXfishingguy
Hi everybody!

I'm coming up for vacation with my parents the last week of August. We are renting a house on the Salmon River in Welches, just south of Mt. Hood. I know the fish in this salmon river are protected but I noticed the Sandy was just on the other side of the highway. Will they come up this far? Any places I should check out?

I also notice the Clackamas wasn't far from where we are staying either. Is there a lot of access on the Clack Hwy? Do the salmon even run in this river?

Sorry for the questions, but I have one more.

What kind of lures/rigs are you using to catch these salmon?

Thanks a bunch!

T
TXfishingguy
Oh also, I forgot to mention the gear we will be bringing.

We have two spinning rods. one 7 ft and one 6.5 ft. with matching spinning reels. What lb test should we spool up with?

I also have a 7/8 wt. fly rod. Any good salmon flies?

Again, sorry for all the questions. I'm just kind of in the dark with salmon fishing.

O
osmosis
In august you will have your hands full with coho and even some fall chinook on all 3 rivers you mentioned.

spinners, corkies, yarn, bait, and plugs are the most often used things in the fall.
Anywhere from 10 up to 20lb mainline is average.

I drift fish with a fly rod and it's a lot of fun, but I don't traditionally fly fish so I can't help you on regular flies.

Do a search on this forum with the keyword "coho" and you will have more info that you need.

T
Troutier Bassier
O
osmosis
I've been doing it probably longer than you've been fishin . a few years ago I got it dialed with help from a good fisherman named Matthew Clark. Where did you think I got it?

T
TXfishingguy
cool!

Thanks guys.

M
meluvtrout
I've been doing it probably longer than you've been fishin . a few years ago I got it dialed with help from a good fisherman named Matthew Clark. Where did you think I got it?

Perhaps from the guy who's been fishing the ClAckamAs since he was in diapers!

O
osmosis
Oh you mean the guy I introduced to it last year!

Last year quite a few hatchery coho wound up in the salmon river, keep an eye on the regulations to see if they open it to retention this year!

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
Fall fish are comming....Fly Rodding some 'ho's from EC sounds like a blast! i'll have to bring my rod just in case.

Last edited:
M
Mike123

:lol: Ima have a beer... how bout you Kodiak? :yay:
Might have to head to the coast early this year because of you.

T
Troutier Bassier
Matthew C,
I seen his video about Drifting with a Fly Rod.