KVAL salmon news report

M
moon
KVAL salmon news report

brandon4455
brandon4455
good to see everything went as planned..im interested to see how this new fishery pans out

R
rippin fish lips
brandon4455 said:
good to see everything went as planned..im interested to see how this new fishery pans out

I hope it pans out good!! If everything fails with those fish in the coast fork willy, he just dumped 210,000 fish into a toilet bowl Left do die of warm froggy water. Looks just we will just have to wait and see!! As for it bein "better for the mac" i hope it's true. a lot of the mac redsides Thrive on the rotting carcus of salmon, i see them feeding on them every year. I don't want to stir any trouble, so ill leave it at that.

brandon4455
brandon4455
eh the salmon are only there for a very short amount of time..although their flesh is full of protein and for sure a good meal those fish have juvenille fish and bugs to get fat on year round.. do you know how many different kinds of bugs live in the McKenzie? would blow your mind :lol:

jamisonace
jamisonace
Man I hope it works. I love fishing the Mac for springers but I won't mind another option. See you on the MFW in 26 months.

M
Metoman
Sounds like good idea to preserve the wild population. Good job odfw.

L
lilsalmon
oh yay....combat fishing :confused:

S
salmon_slayer87
I hope it blows up in their face....oh wait...it will. This a big
waste of time/money. Just another rich fly fisherman getting his way. Just to think...I got out of hunting because of the politics...looks like all they want to do is change things, make new rules and take they joy out of the outdoors

R
rippin fish lips
brandon4455 said:
eh the salmon are only there for a very short amount of time..although their flesh is full of protein and for sure a good meal those fish have juvenille fish and bugs to get fat on year round.. do you know how many different kinds of bugs live in the McKenzie? would blow your mind :lol:

Ohh yeahh i live on the Mackenzie river, If i really could i would call it my river :D but i can't lol. As long as this change does wost its supposed to do i will he happy with Jeff zillers choice.

B
bigsteel
salmon_slayer87 said:
I hope it blows up in their face....oh wait...it will. This a big
waste of time/money. Just another rich fly fisherman getting his way. Just to think...I got out of hunting because of the politics...looks like all they want to do is change things, make new rules and take they joy out of the outdoors

wow another clueless angler

B
bran_man
I could go either way on this one.... I think it is great (if successful) to introduce a hatchery fish program into a new part of the system, in the fact that it will break up the crowds and allow more fishing opportunities. And in my opinion, unless you can find them real early, by the time they got to the mckenzie in good number, they were no good to keep anyways.... There will still be salmon in the mackenzie, just it will be mainly a native population. So it will just be c/r which is what most people would/ should do anyways with those nasty salmon. So there will still be carcasses for bugs, other fish to feed. So I definitely see a lot of good things about it. Def don't want the 2 different populations spawning with each other.... Which is one of their main concerns. As long as they dont mess with the steelhead program, I don't care ha ha

S
salmon_slayer87
Just another fisherman that thinks he can save the world one native at a time....
native fish are awesome...don't get me wrong. But what exactly is wrong with what is already in place? You still catch redside on the Mac do you not? They might as well close the whole river. That way your red side population can rebuild.
I'm done talking about it....nothing we can do now but wait and see what happens.

B
bigsteel
salmon_slayer87 said:
Just another fisherman that thinks he can save the world one native at a time....
native fish are awesome...don't get me wrong. But what exactly is wrong with what is already in place? You still catch redside on the Mac do you not? They might as well close the whole river. That way your red side population can rebuild.
I'm done talking about it....nothing we can do now but wait and see what happens.
and without people who care for native fish what are you left with?a bunch of hatchery puke clone fish...so by moving 200,000 smolts to the coast fork they should close the mckenzie?they are doing it to minimize hatchery fish spawning above leaburg.

D
DYJ
I hope it works out, as Jamisonce said, I'd like the option of two spring Chinook fisheries. But if it doesn't work out I am sure they'll never return those smelts to the McKenzie, which will take a third of the retainable springers out of the picture all together and that sucks. One thing I have learned through following it is that this is a very touchy subject with radical opinions on both sides

M
moon
People, yes I’m a wild fish first guy so I’m not that upset. But this isn't anything I did or TU did or anyone else. This isn't about the “sides” any longer as to the salmon.

Again I'll say it plain and true – I do not want the McKenzie or anything else flyfishing only..... But you go ahead and think what you want.

This is about this - http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/CRP/docs/upper_willamette/UWR%20FRN2%20Exec%20Sum%20final.pdf

Check out page 10 of the report.

So when you say you hope it blows up, I got to wonder what in the hell are you thinking?

They are doing this because there is still a chance to save the wild runs on the McKenzie, they are doing this to keep the feds from stepping in (in my opinion).

How long before they move the salmon from threatened to endangered on the other rivers? - Then what?

It's my belief that the feds are going to have to step in because ODFW has done a poor job as to educating the public about it, so instead of us (the sides) working together with ODFW. All we do is fight and fuss as it goes to hell around us.

So when I say I'm not that upset – I guess that's wrong too. Why did we ever let it get to this, but more important is – Why did ODFW let it get to this? They had the data, they knew this was coming at some point (again – my opinion).
I think they ODFW are not doing enough, the other side thinks they are doing too much. So should we ask ourselves why all of a sudden the concern from ODFW?

And should we come together and ask ODFW what plan they are actually working with right now and can we (both sides) help?

Moon

F
fishyden
What about the wild trout on the coast fork and other wild fish that reside there? In 20 years people will be complaining about what were doing there today just like with what's going on with the mckenzie that started years ago.

M
moon
fishyden said:
What about the wild trout on the coast fork and other wild fish that reside there? In 20 years people will be complaining about what were doing there today just like with what's going on with the mckenzie that started years ago.

why don't you email Jeff Ziller this question? I'd like to hear his response.

moon

F
fishyden
I did send an email. I'm just curious why this river. Why not marys river or the long tom? Either way I just want to know how these decisions are made. Is there a public meeting prior to the decision? Or my only right as being a license buying voter is just to trust the decisions they make.

S
steelhead_stalkers
You could probably count the number of hatchery Chinook in the upper river on one hand! There are hardly any hatchery Chinook below leaburg as most of the fish raised go to the lower hatchery below greenwood. And this was on a great year for Chinook. I can guaranty there are very few hatchery Chinook in the upper river above leaburg. I would love to see some studies and also proof of the massive amount of hatchery fish that are endangering the native stock!

Also, with 600,000 Chinook that used to be released on the McKenzie on a good year it received 6,000 Chinook back. On an average year we were looking at more like 2,000-3,000 Chinook returning off of the 600,000 smolts. So now they are releasing 200,000 in the coast fork that on a normal year will yeald all of 500 to maybe a 1,000 Chinook. Good luck ever catching one of those unless you are right under the dam with a gill net! The coast fork will never become a salmon fishery with that many smolts guaranteed.

The good news is they just dumped them in the river without acclimating them from what it looks like so most of those fish should end up back in the Mac.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
I disagree with almost everything you've said here except the part about the fish ending up back in the Mac. I had that same thought that many of them might take a left towards Leaburg.

steelhead_stalkers said:
You could probably count the number of hatchery Chinook in the upper river on one hand! There are hardly any hatchery Chinook below leaburg as most of the fish raised go to the lower hatchery below greenwood. And this was on a great year for Chinook. I can guaranty there are very few hatchery Chinook in the upper river above leaburg. I would love to see some studies and also proof of the massive amount of hatchery fish that are endangering the native stock!

Also, with 600,000 Chinook that used to be released on the McKenzie on a good year it received 6,000 Chinook back. On an average year we were looking at more like 2,000-3,000 Chinook returning off of the 600,000 smolts. So now they are releasing 200,000 in the coast fork that on a normal year will yeald all of 500 to maybe a 1,000 Chinook. Good luck ever catching one of those unless you are right under the dam with a gill net! The coast fork will never become a salmon fishery with that many smolts guaranteed.

The good news is they just dumped them in the river without acclimating them from what it looks like so most of those fish should end up back in the Mac.