Korkers boots vs. Hodgman

troutdude
troutdude
I've seen that quite a few fellow OFFers seem to like Korker wading boots. So, here is my dilemma.

I have a pair of felt bottomed Hodgman's that I got some 25 years ago. They were purhased mostly to wear while float tubing. But, I've only worn them a few times, so my boots are in tip top shape (I've worn rubber bottomed zip up booties instead--much easier for tubing). And my boots look VERY similar to modern Hodgman's--that I recently saw at Sportsman's Warehouse.

So, if I now want to do more wading...should I leave my Hodgman's in storage and get Korkers. Or, will the felt soled Hodgman's be fine?

J
JeannaJigs
I personally will never use just felt bottoms again. I don't have "korkers" but I have a rubber/felt sole with carbide steel studs. They have literally saved my life. Felt just isn't enough. That's my 2 cents

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
Jeanna,

If I may ask, how did they literally save your life?

-Spydey

B
BobbiDollPDX
I've only had the opportunity to wear my Korkers twice since I bought them and I wouldn't go back to felt. I haven't got the studded soles yet, figured I'd wait a bit since I'm not fishing right now but they are high on my list. The Korkers fit really well too.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Which ever brand you purchase (IMO) if you plan on wading a rocky river bottom, go with the studded boot. I bought a new set of Korkers last season only because I could not find the old stlye I had been using. If they had a set of Red Ball Jets with studded soles I might have bought them.;) The first time I hit a river with those studded boot on I was shocked. I was used to having an old pair of tennis shoes on, trying to wade and always falling on my butt or now and then my head. I hit the Salmon River on with those studded boots and was stunned to find I could actually walk around, not fall and scare all the fish away!

Last edited:
F
FishFiddle
I sure do not like those studs on the bottom of my boat! Sure tear things up.

T
todd_brooks
I've only ever had felt bottoms. I've nearly broken my neck on the mud on the bank but I've made it this far. I'm going to pick up some short hex head sheet metal screws to zip in to the felt for some cheap studs until I up grade my boots.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I love studs!!! :D jus sayin'...:lol: ;)

F
FishFinger
My main attraction to the Korkers are the studded felt inserts, they are great except on hardwood and tile floors. I wore straight felt bottom for a long time, fell a few times but no where near as much as wearing rubber soled boots.... those will murder ya.

G
Growbug
Got a pair of Hodgman studded felt soles. Ohhh the difference. Now i want to get some with rubber + removable studs to cover all circumstances.

E
everett464
These are the considerations as I see them. (1) How much cash do you have? (2) how many river systems are you planning on fishing - are you risking transferring invasive species all over the state? Finally, (3) what type of stream beds are you wading in.

I think in most situations, felt is great, but if you are wading hard in fast water studs are going to give you traction that felt will not. Also, those Hodgmans are not going to be as comfortable as new boots will; if you are fishing all day, you may consider a more comfortable boot.

As far as the environmental considerations (if that is even a consideration to you), the blade is double-edged: on one hand, Felt is more prone to moving invasive species from river to river, but on the other hand if you don't use them are they just going to end up in a landfill somewhere?

I think its a tough call either way.

B
BobbiDollPDX
Raincatcher said:

You and me both mama.

F
fish4life
When you say Korkers are you referring to the brand or just studded felt wading shoes. I have the brand korkers with interchangeble soles and I dont really care for them much. I have had the soles fall off numerous times and I dont think they are that comfortable. I picked up a pair of waterskeeter river guide wading shoes at bi-mart for $40. They have a rubber sole around the outside with studded felt in the middle. I dont hardly ever use the korkers anymore except when wading on clay where the steel-cabide spikes are about the only thing that will make a difference. The waterskeeters are more comphy and I dont have to worry about changing soles.

troutdude
troutdude
Raincatcher said:

TMI Barb...TMI! LOL

F
fishingfreak
Raincatcher said:

:lol::lol::lol:Go get those Studs Barb in your new big rig!

L
lilsalmon
Raincatcher said:

Me three!!!!!!

So I got my Korkers, as some of you know, at Two Rivers here in Albany. Mitch still has some boots at 50% OFF and when I was in there the other day he actually had my size studded soles in at 50% OFF......he had size 11 and 13 left...by the way he did say for about 2 or 3 years Korkers will continue to make the soles for the older style boots....