Klamath Lake fishing

K
kawasakii9
did they ever put a dock in the new ramp? we quit fishing last year by the new ramp in the deep water for pearch. towards the end of last year you could barely get between the main and the island. i imagine you might be able to jump over this year. (laughing) ok thank s for the gerber update. stupid area gonna dry up pretty soon. hope the crappie bite returns this year

O
ol tymer
OK guys n' gals: Need your advice. Am considering updating my fish finder (humminbird t300) to a new color ff. Need to know what you all are using, if you're happy with them, pros and cons, etc. Not looking to spend a lot of $. Right now I'm looking at the Garmin 160 and the Eagle 320c. Any help will of course be appreciated. Ol tymer

K
kfallscody
I can't really give much advice because my boat came with a pretty basic greyscale fish finder. I have been really considering getting a color fish finder with GPS... mmmmm.... not so sure I want to spend the money though, after all I just bought the boat! :) I will be watching, hoping for some good replies though. :)

T
twisted lines
I have installed and replaced more then most of the fish finders, in boats that are used a lot, If I were to pick one of your mentioned; Garmin all the way! very sharp clean and simple to use in the b/w virsion. Color is nice and large screens are nice. I personaly Use a Furuno Color and on Klamath would perfer the Garmin. TL

K
kawasakii9
agree i am using a garmin 530 series chartplotter fishfinder. the chartplotter is extremely accurate and i have counted on it a few times in the fog and it is dead on. the fishfinder seems to work well, but if you can afford it get something that is updateable.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Is anybody catching any fish!? I keep looking at the threads to see if anyone is having any luck and everyone is just talking about fishing. :lol: Lets see some monster trout! ;)

K
kfallscody
We are in the midst of a very cold/windy weather snap and I haven't even seen anybody fishing from shore, let alone from boats in a few weeks. :( This weekend is looking like more of the same... :( Looks like I'll be heading to the Rogue to try to scare up a steelhead instead. :)

S
steelhead_stalkers
Good call, the upper Rogue should be great after this last storm! :D

K
kfallscody
That is my hope. :) Still waiting to land my fist steelhead so I am anxious! My GF is running in the pear blossom run so will probably head to the river after so I can show my support and all. :)

K
kawasakii9
Fishing?

Fishing?

someone asked about fishing?... Well Last 28th we went over to lost creek and finally figured out what they wanted late in the day.... or they finallly bit late in the day you make the call. we caught 10.
wednesday the 31st we caught one on agency lake in what i call the canal, not big enough to even take a picture of ( about 2-3 lbs ) but it was scales in the boat.
thursday the 1st, fish lake was on fire with the planters and some 14-15 holdovers but i am not sure you can still get in there now it could have even refoze. all of last week i was in sacramento so no fishing :( i was thinking of calling fish lake back today and seeing if the lake froze, the highways look excellant.
so lets hear of other reports guys..

K
kfallscody
Wow, sounds like I need to go fishing with kawasakii9! I have had horrible luck this year, apart from fishing the ocean a few weeks ago...

I hit the rogue yesterday at Tou Ville park and got skunked. LOTS of what looked like small trout jumping, I mean LOTS.. but no steelhead biting at all. I tried 5 different places which looked promising within 2 hours and no luck.. even lost one of my jigs! :( So the steelhead "cherry" still remains unpopped... *sigh*.. one of these days I guess. :)

T
Throbbit _Shane
Ill be over there around the 1st of May. Im going to Chiloquin for the cage fights and ill bring my sister that doesn't drive with me since shes indian and has family there. Ill most likely be banking it, but i plan on buying a pontoon in a week or two. So my questions are where are the best spots to fish from the bank? is there any areas that arnt hit hard by the wind if i bring a pontoon.

Dont feel bad Kfallscody, my buddy has fished tou vell area a lot this year and hasnt brought 1 in yet :D lol

Its open for steelhead all year so i wouldnt give up. Iv still have only gone once this year, ill get out more when i buy some waders.

K
kfallscody
It really is hard to say where is a good place to be protected, it just depends which way the wind is coming from. If the wind is from the south or east, shoalwater bay should be fine, as it has land directly to the south and east. If it is out of the North, you can try Howard Bay, as long as you hug the shoreline. Just be careful out there, that lake can change VERY quickly... :)

As far as fishing from the bank, I am not sure since I never do it on the lake. You can try near putmans point or anywhere off the west side of Eage Ridge. I hear of people having good luck there. :)

If the weather is decent, we might be taking our boat out fishing. If so, I am sure you'll be welcome aboard if you like. :)

T
Throbbit _Shane
Ill be hoping for some nice weather then :D

Are you going anywhere for trout opener? Ill be at Hyatt, with a fat stringer :)

K
kfallscody
Traditionally I hit the Williamson river for the opener every year. Am yet to get skunked there so I will probably do the same. :) Is not until May though if I remember correctly. My dad however will probably hit Hyatt, he likes to fish up there for Bass. He caught a few lunkers last year, maybe I might join him this year if there is room in the boat. :)

K
kfallscody
Alright so did anybody do any good at the fishing derby today? I see the winning fish was only 27"... pretty small for this lake so it must have been slow. Personally I didn't get a single bite.. nothing!!! I did see one guy catch a fish but mostly it seemed pretty bad for most everybody. I do plan on hitting it again tomorrow just because I am stubborn. :) If nothing else, I'll get some more hours on the boat... :)

T
Throbbit _Shane
How much did it cost to enter the the derby?

K
kfallscody
Was $25 if I remember correctly.

K
kfallscody
Well another day on the lake and another day skunked.... figures! We didn't fish long as the places to get clear gas were closed today... so we were short on gas for the trip. I did see one nice sized trout jump but that was it for the trout. Lots of pelicans, grebes and a few bald eagles to round out the mix.. the grebes are right in the middle of the mating season so if you have not seen their "dance".. might want to check it out, is kinda neat IMHO.

Thinking next weekend we might hit up Fish Lake and see. I have never fished it before but I've been reading good things about it so far this year. :)

K
kfallscody
Hmmmm is this thing still on? :)

We are going to hit up Klamath Lake tomorrow with the same purpse, try to scare up some trout and put some time on the motor. Is supposed to be a great day, anybody else going out?