Kastmaster?

T
the_intimidator03
Left Bank said:
I've heard that placing bait on the hook can distort the action of a kastmaster so I've not tried. Anyone else tried this?

Just a little food for thought. Possible distorting the action by the placement of bait MAY trigger more strikes. sometimes you never know what the fish want. also it could provide for something they have never seen etc. This is just a thought that came to me as i read the post and thought i would share. a little expermentation never put the hurting on anyone. cept fish in this case LOL

troutdude
troutdude
I've never tried it. But, here's what I'd suggest (just my 1 and a half cents):

Go out and fish just with a kastmaster. When you find one that works a few times...then add a worm and see what happens. If they bite even more, then you're on to something. Adding the worm is a good thing.

If they quite biting, take the worm off. If they hit only the kastmaster again...then you know not to use a worm.

BTW, we' d enjoy a report of your "scientific findings". :)

D
dinghy
1/4 oz green in sain creek picnic area was working good last week and at the dam.

F
FullMTLjacket
dinghy said:
1/4 oz green in sain creek picnic area was working good last week and at the dam.

how to you use it? slow retrieve? I think im having a hard time with the debth because I tend to get it snagged on the bottom a lot.

D
dinghy
I go slow but I never get the bottom.speed it up some. most of my fish have hit within 10-15 cranks.

M
Matt G
FullMTLjacket said:
how to you use it? slow retrieve? I think im having a hard time with the debth because I tend to get it snagged on the bottom a lot.

I have only bank fished with Kastmasters a few times, but I think the ideal is to vary both depth and retrieve speed. I have hooked trout on Kastmasters both trolling and cast retrieving at fairly high speeds, so don't think you need to go super slow all the time. Try a couple casts on fast retrieve almost as soon as the lure hits the water. If no strikes, let it sink a half second or so and try again a few casts. If nothing, let it sink deeper still, etc.

You should vary retrieve speed too, even altering it during the same retrieve. And when you get a little comfortable, stop your retrieve for a split second and give the rod a little jerk or two. The varied action looks a bit more natural to the fish, and might help you dial in to what they like at that time.

GOod luck!

W
wormosa
my experience with kastmasters at hagg.. on a cloudy day use the gold kastmater and on sunny days use more of a green. my last trip there in a matter of 200 yards i hooked 4 fish, lost all 4 of them, one fish i hit the boat with him and knocked him off, not my best move......they work great there and i was trolling from the boat

W
wormosa
exactly ... it will mess up the action !!!!