I'v had it!!!

S
Santiam338
Never cry over spilt milk,missed bucks or lost fish..;)

But I could of had my second springer limit in a row if I had checked my leader after the third fish...Those teeth are sharp.:think:

(sob,sob):(

R
RunWithSasquatch
Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, right Bill?:lol:

F
FishFiddle
Great Info. Thanks!!

S
SantiamDrifter
Seagur flouro works great for me, In the low summer time it will out fish mono big time. We've fished it the last three years, it takes practice to tie knots with it. I dont ever spit on it, dont want my stinky scent on my leaders. Instead always have a little bowl handy. Fill it with water and add a drop of lemon joy. The extra lube really helps when sliding the knot down on its self. You have to have lots of lube and go slow. But if you can tie a strong knot, flouro WILL up your catch rates. We've landed everything from big early season summers to huge late season winters with seagur's flouro leaders. If you doubt it's success just come fish side by side with me.

Also the best knot for flouro is the double clinch knot (trilene knot). Flouro is a thick line. Other knots just wont hold up to a fish.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
SantiamDrifter said:
I obsess over my line and knots. I wont fish a line that has any nick's or line burns. I constantly check my hooks for sharpness too. Its all in the details. Why spend your time fishing only to lose you fish too bad line and hooks?

Agreed.

• I have a very fine whet stone I use, and have sat for hours practicing and determining the best way to sharpen hooks.

• I check my points constantly by seeing if the hook point will dig in or slide across my thumbnail. If it's even close to not sticking I sharpen.

• I retie everything after every fish and every snag and before fishing a new spot if I move.

I have also determined my personal best knot and the best line to use it with by the following method:

Get your line, two metal swivels, a pair of pliers (or a vise), and scale and safety goggles (MANDATORY)

• Cut off a section of line and tie each end to a swivel with the same knot, as best as you can tie it (obviously)
  • Put one swivel in the vise (or pliers)
  • Hook the other swivel to your scale
  • Apply eye protection via your favorite sporty goggle form-factor :)
  • Slowly apply pressure to the line and keep an eye on the scale (I prefer to keep the other one closed)
  • When the line snaps, record the reading of the scale.
  • Get a new piece of line a repeat the procedure 4 more times and determine the average of all readings.
  • Try another knot, different line. Or same knot, different line. Compare knots etc, etc...
This method can also be applied to determine the correct drag setting of your reel

• Rig up everything as you would on the river, with the exception of the hook. Use a swivel instead
  • Pull on the scale and keep cranking your drag until you snap your line
  • Repeat 4 times
  • Determine the average, divide that by 3 and set your drag to feed line at this sum
This also works to determine weak spots in a rig or to perhaps determine if you are actually going to consistently break your lead off before your mainline.

---

When an angler loses a fish they either broke the line, the line was cut due to obstacle interference, or the hook came out. IMO it is entirely possible to cut two of the three out the situation almost entirely by proper procedure and proper maintenance on the river.

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
SantiamDrifter said:
.......Also the best knot for flouro is the double clinch knot (trilene knot). Flouro is a thick line. Other knots just wont hold up to a fish.

The only knot I use anymore is the trilene knot even when I'm using braid....I just double up the line with braid, never had it come undone.

Skunk, You've heard a lot in this thread and I have to say most of us don't take enough time to get the knot right every time.... Losing a big fish to a bad knot or scored line is very frustrating.. Been there and done that way too many times.