Is this silly ?

T
Throbbit _Shane
This whole thread is silly.

Reactions: rogerdodger
B
Billamicasr
You said you are interested in an option that would be stable, cheap, self-propelled with little skill and less effort.

If you changed those parameters a bit and target what you will use your one boat for (mostly still waters or mostly moving water), add in a maximum dollar amount and then consider fishing and boating as a form of recreational exercise, you will likely add a few boats to the list. However, as is with your definition of a perfect boat you may be stuck on the bank, or at least unhappy with your purchase.

We all have our preferences; what one person may consider as not worthy (silly) may well be another person’s dream machine. Whether the buying decision is brought by preference or from financial considerations is not relevant as long as the buyer/owner is happy.

I’ve owned many watercraft, sometimes owning several at one time (like now) and each one providing a great deal of fun and satisfaction without regard to how others may have perceived my buying decisions.
Some of the boats I’ve been pleased to own:

NorSea 27 sailboat "LaLuz", Montgomery 17 sailboat "Tipperary", Catalina 22’ Mark II sailboat "Well Heeled", West Wight Potter sailboat "Turtle", Several wood and aluminum full size drift boats, a 16’ Alumiweld jet sled, a Glen Wooldridge 19’ jet sled, a Tahiti ski boat, a fiberglass 10’ mini-drifter, a 12’ Gregor, a Tracker 10’ Jon Boat, a 12’ Valco Jon Boat, a 16’ Navarro Osprey canoe, an Old Town 16’ Tripper canoe, Old Town Predator 13 and a Dagger Axis 12.0 kayaks, 2 Outcast pontoon boats, 2 Whitewater rafts, an SD-124 Achilles inflatable dive boat, 2 Aire inflatable kayaks, several float tubes, a Kawasaki jet ski, a Kawasaki Jetmate, truck tire inner tubes, and when in the Boy Scouts we built a Tom Sawyer style raft (that was fun). And, I’m probably leaving a boat or two out. Oh, almost forgot; a new kayak that’s in the works as I write this.

Point being, I have owned and operated many watercraft and now prefer the quiet, personal solitude and low impact exercise from a kayak, pontoon boat or float tube, but that’s a personal decision based solely on my needs and wishes. Also note; I understand I cannot buy one boat that does it all. The pontoon is for Whitewater, the kayak is ocean and lake capable and the float tube can be easily carried to an out of the way fishing hot spot.

Whenever I can get on the water, however I can get on the water, with a proper attitude my cares and worries fade away. In essence; it matters not what another thinks of my ride, I paid for it and no one has the right to complain... except me of course.

If being on the water was my calling I believe I'd buy a boat or plan to hire a guide soon. It is one of those decisions that can be ‘over-thought’ to the point of missing out on a good deal of fun… Summertime and good weather is right around the corner and it won’t last for long.

P
pinstriper
I could get talked into a pontoon if they had one that didn't involve dangling your feet in the water.

A pedal boat reached my tiny little mind because it was inexpensive, stable, and carried a lot of weight for its size.

But I fear on a larger lake it would be problematic. I was hoping to hear lots of guys say "yep I've fished from one".

B
Billamicasr
I know you are not alone with this dilemma; the real problem with a quest such as yours is there are boats that cannot readily be demo'd. So far only the kayak industry and some rafting companies respect that problem with advertised annual Demo Days at their dedicated kayak outlets and Whitewater Festivals.

In fact in the next sixty days you could visit at least two Demo Days events in the Portland area. it may be a good way to find out for yourself just how stable the new kayak builds are; never know, you might be a convert. Plus at least one of the weekend events has seminars and free classes on all manner of things that float (well almost).

Here's another thought; coming up April 25th is a sturgeon fishing event put on by HOW (Heroes on the Water). During the event you can watch (and volunteer to assist if you'd like) disabled Military Veterans enjoy fishing and playing in the water with some very stable kayaks. I'll be posting the announcement of the event in the next day or two. I plan to attend even though I'll be staying on the bank. I know someone will have me rigging rods or tying knots or something.

By the way, I never dangle my feet in the water when I use the pontoon if I'm playing in the rivers. It's actually best to leverage your oar strength by bracing against the foot bars. In still waters I usually leave the shore with "kick fins" over my wading boots. They enable me to move the pontoon boat for best positioning when targeting structure and Large mouth Bass. Then again if I'm using the electric trolling motor I keep my feet up unless I feel like cooling them off; definitely more relaxing with feet up than down.

P
pinstriper
Billamicasr said:
I know you are not alone with this dilemma; the real problem with a quest such as yours is there are boats that cannot readily be demo'd. So far only the kayak industry and some rafting companies respect that problem with advertised annual Demo Days at their dedicated kayak outlets and Whitewater Festivals.

In fact in the next sixty days you could visit at least two Demo Days events in the Portland area. it may be a good way to find out for yourself just how stable the new kayak builds are; never know, you might be a convert. Plus at least one of the weekend events has seminars and free classes on all manner of things that float (well almost).

Here's another thought; coming up April 25th is a sturgeon fishing event put on by HOW (Heroes on the Water). During the event you can watch (and volunteer to assist if you'd like) disabled Military Veterans enjoy fishing and playing in the water with some very stable kayaks. I'll be posting the announcement of the event in the next day or two. I plan to attend even though I'll be staying on the bank. I know someone will have me rigging rods or tying knots or something.

By the way, I never dangle my feet in the water when I use the pontoon if I'm playing in the rivers. It's actually best to leverage your oar strength by bracing against the foot bars. In still waters I usually leave the shore with "kick fins" over my wading boots. They enable me to move the pontoon boat for best positioning when targeting structure and Large mouth Bass. Then again if I'm using the electric trolling motor I keep my feet up unless I feel like cooling them off; definitely more relaxing with feet up than down.

That confirms the worst of my fears about pontoons. You still have to wear waders.

B
Billamicasr
Nope, no waders... just wader boots. One could wear sandals, but my wader boots have felt soles, much better traction.

The trike is pretty cool... imagine a Scotty rod holder to hold an umbrella for shade, another for a "beverage" holder and yet a third for a fishing rod.

Look, its even got a step to help get back in just in case (?)

And, your wish come true, it is built for two (yeeHa!)

Throbbit_Shane do you have a link for the trike? Might be a fun pond boat... just saying

Top Bottom